Tire discussion - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire discussion

Based on this thread.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=44641

I'm looking for a discussion on Michelin PR2's v. PR3's. If anyone has experience with either tire, I would appreciate your input.

Thank you.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
PR3 ~ PR4

post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm on my second set of PR3's and can only say good things about them. Dry,wet,freeway,canyons,dirt roads.They do a great job and wear well.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:34 PM
MTS

Will try PR4 if I can get them this spring. If not PR3.

PR2 is good from forum review but I'm going for newer.

PR4 should last longer.

Just be very careful on stock tires. They are hard and will crack. IMO

Best of luck!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:00 AM

I've had PR3s and have nothing bad at all to say...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 AM

Ive been using PR3 for rear, and it last 12.000 km.

Front tire is about 15.000 and still rolling.

Great tires!
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'm on my second set of PR3's and can only say good things about them. Dry,wet,freeway,canyons,dirt roads.They do a great job and wear well.
What type of mileage are you getting out of the rear tire? I have a hard time getting 5000 miles out of a rear tire. Mounted a Pirelli on the rear of my drz400sm and at 2700 starting to show cord.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:42 AM

Garage
I'm on my second set of PR3s, very happy with them.

Rode the first set for 16,000 kms (10,000 miles) and they still had a few thousand Kms left but I was heading out on a long tour.

I'm at 9,300 kms (5,800 miles) on set #2 with loads of tread left.

I've used them on long flat highways, the Cabot Trail and the Tail of the Dragon, and through lots of wet weather and a few gravel roads. They are expensive (most tires in Canada are expensive) but they have been worth the price.

I never had PR2s. My PR3s replaced the stock Dunlops at about 13,000kms (8,125 miles)

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I am using PR2's and very satisfied. I purchased at best price I've found in Ontario from A Vicious Cycle. Shipping is reasonable.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

I didn't know there were PR4's. Thanks! I'll look into that too.

Last edited by G19Tony; 01-02-2014 at 09:00 AM.
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
What type of mileage are you getting out of the rear tire? I have a hard time getting 5000 miles out of a rear tire. Mounted a Pirelli on the rear of my drz400sm and at 2700 starting to show cord.
Had a bout 9000 miles on the first set but there was still plenty of miles left on them. Had the bike in the shop to do the valve check and a bunch of other stuff i had put on the bike so just went ahead and put on a new pair. The second set i have about 8500 miles and no need to change any time soon.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Had a bout 9000 miles on the first set but there was still plenty of miles left on them. Had the bike in the shop to do the valve check and a bunch of other stuff i had put on the bike so just went ahead and put on a new pair. The second set i have about 8500 miles and no need to change any time soon.
thanks for the info. I will have to check them out.
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
...They are expensive (most tires in Canada are expensive) but they have been worth the price....
I've usually imported my tires from the US, but I wanted another Tourance rear 150/70x17 after my D2D ride in June. I checked around, and bought it from here http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/ for LESS $ than I'd last paid in the US, DELIVERED to my local Post Office in Kelowna!

Check 'em out....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Are you guys who are using the PR3s....are they the regular PR3s or the PR3 Trails?

I'm going to want to replace the stock tires at some point. Haven't decided yet if I want to keep a dual sport tire on the bike, something like the Pirelli Scorpion. Or go more sport-tour, like the PR3 or the Pirelli Angels.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Garage
PR2's here replaced the stock Dunlops, 10,000 km on the rear with plenty left. 7,000 on the front with of course plenty left. Never tried PR3's a mate suggested I'd like the 2's better. The OEM's lasted 8,200 km rear and 11,000 km front. I have a set of Pirelli Angel GT's to do my 7,000 km trip in May.
post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Are you guys who are using the PR3s....are they the regular PR3s or the PR3 Trails?

I'm going to want to replace the stock tires at some point. Haven't decided yet if I want to keep a dual sport tire on the bike, something like the Pirelli Scorpion. Or go more sport-tour, like the PR3 or the Pirelli Angels.

Both sets of mine have been the regular PR3's picked them over the angels because the guys here that have run the angels liked them both they wore out quick. Might have a look at the Pirelli GT or the PR4's when it comes time to change.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 PM

Thanks fellows, made order today, it will cost about 200 Euros (with discount), full price 277 Euros
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

I called my shop today and ordered PR4's. Not released yet, but they will get them when they are. I'm willing to give them a go. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I have Michelin Power Pure's on my Grom, and they make it a whole new bike.

post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Has anyone compared the Pirelli Angel sport tourer tires to Michellin Pilot Road 2/3/?
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 PM

Garage
End of May I'll be able to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode