And the Heehaw Award goes to... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
And the Heehaw Award goes to...

me.

So yesterday morning I let "the anger" rule me and I ended up crashing out my V

Normally when I approach the booms at work the security guys open it up for me, the reason being that us bikers tend to hold up the queue if we start trying to get our access tags out of our jackets with our gloves on. Usually...

So I come idling in to the boom, and the security guard is standing in the door of the security booth right next to the boom. I nod (as usual), no response . I stop. I ask the guy whether he can please open the boom for me... slight movement, but no comprehension shining through. So my temperature starts to rise . I start struggling with my pocket to get my tag out so that I can swipe it for the boom to open. Mister security stand there looking at me and at my hand as I try to get to my card. Finally I manage to release the card from my clingy pocket, I swipe it, the boom lifts. Now I need to get the card back into my pocket. Mister security guard is still just standing there looking at me. Card finally back in my pocket I'm so angry and irritated that I wind the V... quite a bit.

Ah yes, so it was a bad idea... I shoot away, underestimating the amount of said "wind" quite a bit. So I do what must have started out as a very mean wheelie.... which, it has to be said was never my intention, I just wanted to get away from there and calm down

The wheel comes down, hard, I bounce it, it lifts again.... I put the V down sideways... there is a word I can use to describe how hard I hit the ground, but my wife hits me when I say it. From first impact to where the V stopped sliding was probably about ...hmm... 10+ meters (Told you I wound it quite a bit), the only part I remember about the fall was hitting the ground chin first in the start of my slide, and thinking "Thank the lord I wasn't wearing my flip-up because I would have opened it by that point"

And there it was, I'd made an ass of myself and crashed my V because I lost my temper.

No rest for the wicked or injured though, I pick the V up with the help of another security guard, the first one was probably still staring at the boom thinking "hmmmmmmm, boooooooom". I park the V (un-ridable at that stage cause the gear lever had jammed into the frame) in front of the office, and walk into my first of 2 meetings for the morning. 2 hours later I'm wishing the guys can stop talking so I can just go get me some friggin painkillers! Finally I get to go and drink painkillers, have a coffee and a smoke so I can reflect on what happened.

Damage to me:
Very ugly knee
Badly sprained left wrist
Sprained right thumb

Damage to kit:
Helmet scraped over mouth area
Visor and peak minimal scuff marks
Overpants looks like my crotch exploded
Knees of overpants scuffed into 3rd layer
Jacket scuffed all over
Badly scuffed boots

Damage to V:
Slight scuff on front rim
Scuffed wheel mount
Broken foot peg
Badly bent gear lever
Badly scraped engine cover
Broken indicator
Badly scuffed faring x2
Bent handlebar
Scuffed bar end
Scuffed mirror
Scuffed screen

Lesson learnt.

My bad, my very very bad Stupid security guard, if he'd just been nice like every other morning I wouldn't have crashed my V. Still my fault for loosing my cool though.... <sigh>

Took the V into the shop this morning, thanks Willem!, now I wait for the call on Tuesday to hear the costs

Heehaw... Heehaw... Heehaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8080023.JPG (172.8 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg P8080024.JPG (151.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg P8080025.JPG (211.7 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg P8080026.JPG (179.5 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg P8080028.JPG (317.1 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg P8080030.JPG (116.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg P8080031.JPG (125.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg P8080032.JPG (145.6 KB, 185 views)

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 AM

Glad your ok bob.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 AM

Seriously, glad your not too badly hurt. We all have these moments.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Bob,

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Glad you are ok to ride on another day.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 AM

Bob,
Get you fixed, get the bike fixed, get to riding.
Very happy to see you were not hurt any worse.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Wink

Well, gotta say, I thought my crotch cigar fire crash in the driveway was a beaut, but I think you've outdone me. Glad you can still move though, we all know it could have been worse...But like mine, not sure how

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Dang Bob, that sure blows. Still I'm glad it wasn't too serious, considering. The V's pieces can be bought online, Bob pieces are harder to come by.
I wish you a quick and complete recovery.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Thanks guys, yeah, on my way to a good recovery already. Leg is "walkable" already, wrist still pretty banged up.

The V needs to be ready soon soon though, we have a trip planned for mid September, just a 2 day ride, can't wait. Hope wrist is fine by then.

When my wife realised I was ok and that it could have been much worse she had a good laugh at me.... nice

98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 AM

That sucks Bob. Actually that seems to be a bit of an understatement, but I'm glad your OK.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM

It sucks, but on the positive side...

The gear worked to minimize the injuries. That makes all the hassle of burning up on hot days, or the time spent suiting up for short rides worthwhile. The scuff on the helmet especially tells a good story - it's a lot better than losing skin and bone.
Dropping in front of a lot of witnesses really stinks. Right after I got mine, I dropped it in the parking lot at Deals Gap in front of about 200 bikers. And I was literally at a standstill when it happened. Wearing all of the gear at times like that provides another benefit - anonymity.
Heal fast!

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 AM

Ok since nobody else said it here goes. What the hell dude! How long have you been riding? Do you not know that Murphy rides in your rear pocket every time you get on. Most of the time if you sit on him just right you can keep him in there. But....when you stand up to place you head up you butt he snuck out. Now before you flash a defensive reply back. I'm saying this from experience. The old, get pissed and storm away doesn't work right when your walking let along on a bike. I bet the gate guard is still laughing about it. Here's what you do to save face. You can practice this at home. Get good enough to pull the card out swipe it and not put your feet down. Hah! that will shut that smart a_s gate guard up. Get better man and smile cause you don't want them to see you cry.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Control your anger and get fixed up and get back riding. Glad to see you are okay.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Glad you are OK there Bob! Get fixed up and ride safe!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:13 PM

First glad you did not hurt yourself or anyone else. Second make sure the "stealership" checks that side case for cracks if they are not going to replace it. I'd drop the coin and replace. Third the crash bars look like a pretty cheap investment now that I've seen your photos. It makes me pretty sick and I know how you must feel. Sorry for all the hassle but some lessions are harder learned then others. Whats the old saying about motorcycle riders? There are two types those that have been down and those that are going down.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 PM

bad misfortune...your due for good soon. it all will balance in time my friend...it always does

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Kudos to you for 'fessing up and knowing what you'll do differently in the future. And hell yeah, ATGATT. Glad your bike took the worst of it. Easier to repair. Cheaper, too.

Erm, was this guard new? Or just missing his morning coffee?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 AM

Glad you're "ok", considering.

I've noticed some of the most dangerous scenarios I've gotten into (but fortunately nothing happened), are when I was very angry. It is unreal how people treat you out there, and although I am far from being able to preach on anger management, I have greatly improved. I want to come home alive and well. I'm not out to "teach" each idiot a lesson they have not learned in all their years up to adulthood.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Bob

lol, yeah thanks guys, few points:

How long have I been riding? Just over a year with heavy rush hour traffic for the most part of it, so long enough not to be a noob about it, and with enough brain power to realise it was a silly mistake that lots more experience would have avoided. I'm not into wheelies, don't like em, don't practise em, don't try and do em on the road.

As for the gear, ABSOLUTELY, atgatt with full face helmet, flip up would have left me minus some lips and teeth... ack (Cause it would have been open by the time I crashed out)

As for the loosing my temper, was sorta fueled on by the fact that I had about 5 minutes before a meeting started, that I had organised, with all the dev's in our technology department, bad show to be late for your own meeting with so many people ... still made it though, got them going and then focussed on the pain more than the meeting, he he.

Anger management required? Nah , just need to get back into surfing again Guarenteed if i'da been for a surf before work that morning the guard and me would probably still be staring at each other. Him thinking "hmmmmm booooom", and me thinking "duuude...schweet" ;-)

Anyways, knee nice and black-purple as a good reminder, wrist getting better, prolly be wearing a splint for another week or two though.

No word back from the dealership yet.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Hope you heal quick and get your v back soon
I'm heading down to kommetjie with the v in February should be good fun.
I am however not so much looking forward to the 1550 km in two days.
Cheers H
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Bob

thanks Hammer, nice time to come down, if you're going to Kommetjie you can always work in a coastal ride from Simonstown along the pass to cape point and back to Kommetjie, if all thos km's don't have you so tired you just want to chill out by the beach

Ride safe dude, I have an upcoming trip mid september through to Oudshoorn again. Hoping I sort out the V asap and my wrist heals nicely, otherwise I'm going to be one grumpy bear around home that weekend while the rest of the guys enjoy the freedom of the long open road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode