Stalling problems - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stalling problems

I have a friend that has a Versys and he sent me this today. Anyone got any ideas?

I have a question. When i am going into a 90 degree corner, like the ones here in my neighbor hood. I down shift to second, enter the corner. When i am in the middle of the corner and give it some gas, the bike wants to stall on me. Now this has only ever happened during this type of situation, when leaning deep in a corner and giving it the gas. If i take the same corner at the same speed in 3rd, i do not get any stall.
I have also noticed, before the bike has idled down (if i just take off right after starting it cold) i get lots of stalling in the engine, till it warms and the problem goes away.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Here' is what I sent him.

I've never heard of anything like this with the Versys so I'm at kind of a loss. Engine stalling before it has warmnd up is not normal with a fuel injected engine. I can start mine stone cold and ride off without any problems. It could very well be a problem with the fuel injection which you'll probably have to have diagnosed at a shop. That's a feature of a Carbureated Engines if the choke isn't used. , I'd also suspect a blocked air filter that's starving the engine at lower RPM's such as your 2nd gear turn stall but when you are going in 3rd, your RPM's are normally less so the demand for air isn't as much. Also, it might be time for a plug change as I believe you said you had about 14K on the bike now. Another thing it could be is a fuel suppy problem. If you have had the tank off lately, you could have krimped the hose when you reintalled the tank.

I have noticed that when I go into a corner that if I just try and roll on the gas I do get a little hesitation so I alwasys pull in the clutch and gather a few more RPM"s and then let out the clutch and I have not problems.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 AM

The air cleaner business isn't really valid because if it isn't passing enough air at low rpms, it wouldn't even run at higher rpms.

With a cold start, I fire it up and wait a few seconds until the rpms come up to 2500, which is the cold high idle value. Then it's just fine. I've never had a problem with stutter or engine shutdown on throttle tip-in with mine. Standard idle rpm is supposed to be 1300 rpm. Anything less can cause this condition.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks Don for posting this for me.

Understand everyone, this does not happen all the time. I would say about 30% of the time in that cornering situation does this occur.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Better get to your dealer, if you are still within warranty?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Dealer? Just check the idle. I think Monte had the same thing happen to him & it was because his idle was too low. After he posted about it, I checked mine. Yep, it was set low as well, although I never experienced stalling.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Better get to your dealer, if you are still within warranty?
Dealer's out - i'll fix it myself when i figure it out. I guess tomorrow i will check my plugs and check for any pinched fuel lines.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Maybe a loose wire connection that fails when in a turn,my r1100r bmw had the same thing happen in a right turn . Took forever to find it ,but has been fine since.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Dealer? Just check the idle. I think Monte had the same thing happen to him & it was because his idle was too low. After he posted about it, I checked mine. Yep, it was set low as well, although I never experienced stalling.
Check the idling when the engine is warm. Mine is set kind of low also, around 800 RPM, but I don't have any problem yet so I just left it.

Idling suppose to be around 1300 rpm on a warm engine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:13 PM

This happens cold or hot?

Does it actually stall out completely or just stutter once and then take off?

HFG aka Randy

There comes a time in every man's life when he has to get up off the couch and kill some zombies.
Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy.

'08 Versys
'06 KLR650
'07 KLX250s
'04 KLX125L
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
This happens cold or hot?

Does it actually stall out completely or just stutter once and then take off?
Hot - and it just shutter's once then takes off.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 PM

I've noticed when the the temperature is hot and the bike is hot the idle RPM's decreases. When cold outside and a cool engine the RPM's will maintain 1300 RPM's if not be a tad higher. I was constantly jacking with the idle to maintain 1300 RPM's but gave up on it as I was never going to achieve the constant 1300 RPM's. My observation.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It runs typically lean at lower RPM's, especially before it's warmed up which is normal... I did get rid of that driveability glitch by adjusting the TPS up the spec, adding more fuel to low throttle openings. It was originally set a bit low. You might also try checking your TB vacuum synch, as well as couple both vacuum access fittings with a 1/8" ID, 6" long vacuum hose to smooth it low-end throttle response, without any negative effect on performance.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 PM

Low Idle is a Definate Suspect!

Hey guys,

I've not been reading the forum for a while, but Bear on a Bicycle nailed the problem that I had, the idle was set way, way to low. When I would slow down and pull in the clutch for a curve, the engine would stall about 10% of the time.

Here is the thread I posted on this issue:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=Stalling

There is also another thread about stalling here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=Stalling

Since the last update to this thread was a while ago, you may have solved this problem already.

Ride Safe

Monte

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I ordered new plugs - Denso and put them in this weekend. I also cranked up my idle to 1300, it was around 950.

Here is what i have found out. During warm up of the engine. I was playing around with the throttle, holding it at various RPM's. At 2800 RPM's, the bike coughs and stutters like crazy. Not at 2500, it purrs smooth as silk, and not at 3000 RPMS or above. Remember this is during the initial warming up of the engine. (and i live in Texas, so the engine isn't really that cold, sitting in the sun at 100 degrees). I also decided to quit running 87 octane (i have since birth and never experienced any difference than the 92) and filled it up with 92.
So i take it for a test drive - it pulls really smooth at all RPM's - once warmed up. It will hold at 2800 no problem, with stuttering.

So it ran great Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Well on the way home today from work, i am in my neighbor hood, shift down into second to go into a turn and SPUTTER. I looked down and i was at 2800 RPM.

I have been reading on the UK forum lately. I am thinking i need to sync my throttle bodies?.? A few others have experienced what i am going through and this solved 90% of their problems. My other option i came across is my 0-2 sensor.

Note - i have added the cherry bomb exhaust.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode