Highway/Interstate riding.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Highway/Interstate riding....

Finally got my first 500 miles on the bike tonight and was able to go over 4000rpm's to 6000rpm's. So I hit the highway for a short 4 mile cruise to my exit and hit 70 @ 5000 rpm's in 6th. Really nice to not be limited to back highways with 55 mph speeds.
I am curious to all of you seasoned riders, this is really my first time at highway riding, is it always so windy/noisey? I'm thinking of adding a diff. wind screen, but at 6' 1" I'm not sure what is best. Also wearing glasses I wear an open face with a shield for ease of putting glasses and sunglasses (coccoons)on. Would a full face helmet cut the wind better and be less noisey?
Any info to help the highway riding to be smoother would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM

I'm not seasoned, but

I'm not seasoned, but I just turned 3k on my V. I can tell you that it gets a lot better with more miles at freeway/highway speeds. I also agree that ear plugs area a must. I even use them on short hops.

As far as helmets, I wouldn't ride in anything but a full-face, so I don't really know if it's quieter than your open face lid. Either way, I would strongly encourage you switch to a full face just for the added protection.

It was through this board that I found out about the Givi windscreen and adjustable mount setup. I love it. Properly adjusted, it really makes the bike's cockpit pleasant at fast speeds.

But the biggest improvement came as I "loosened up" and got more seat time.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks SoCalGreenie! I'm interested in the givi but on the site all I see is fo an 07. I've got an 09 and didn't see an 09 there.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
use earplugs...or go deaf.
If that wasn't a good enough hint - USE EARPLUGS.

A full face helmet will help, but nearly as much as the ear plugs, at least as far as noise is concerned. Plenty of other reasons to wear a full face helmet. I wear glasses too, all I have are full face helmets (street or dirt).

Not all helmets (full face or modular) are equally glasses friendly. Go to the store you'll buy the helmet from with the same glasses you plan to wear while riding (if you use more than one pair) and try the helmet on with your glasses. The trick is usually to push the glasses in a bit higher and at an angle than you normally would and then push them down over your ears.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:40 AM

Gustavo,

Nice bug chunks!

I ride with a Shoei, glasses and ear plugs all the time. Works well for me.

Bob

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Shoei RF-1000 and Givi windscreen. I'm 6'0, problem solved.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 AM

I have a CL-Max helmet from HJC. Relatively quiet modular (flip up) and a GIVI with a Madstad adjustable bracket. Works well.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM

At first I thought wearing ear plugs would cut me off from the world. After I got a modular helmet I noticed much more wind noise and I figured I give ear plugs a try. Once in a while I forget to put them in and I'll immediately pull over to plug me ears. At lest give ear plugs a shot, it can't hurt.

Onto the windscreen, I'm 6'2" and I use the Givi screen. It works great around town but at Highway interstate speeds, not so much. I tend to get a fair amount of air directed right at my helmet. It could be that I have a long torso. I try to sit with good posture to prevent my back and butt from hurting but that's when I get the air blast on my helmet. I don't remember having this problem when I was using the stock screen.

Try ear plugs, they are cheap, protect your hearing, and are the most effective at cutting down wind noise. A full face helmet will cut down the noise fairly well. A modular is a good compromise. Easy to put your glasses on but won't keep out as much noise as a full face. Different wind screen? It can help but be prepared to play around with different ones and at different settings if you want to find one that will give you a pocket on non turbulent air. Some people turn the stock wind screen upside down with excellent results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM

concur
I value my hearing so wear rear plugs irrespective of the helmet.
full face is quieter than open face
that is assuming the visor fits correctly and seals, the visor on my Shark Evolution doesn't due to crappy design. which is a shame really as its a very flexible helmet, acts as a full face when, can be flipped up when fuelling without scaring the pump checkout. and when its hot travelling at low speeds (sub 40..50) can act as an openface.. however when going above 50 its alwasy full face mode.

you can also get wind noise if there is a big gap between the bottom of the helmet shell and your neck, blocking that with some form of bandana or neck thingy can make a difference.

the real issue with noise induced deafness is that it creeps up on you, and you may only really start to experience the problems long after the downhill spiral of damage has first started. so get some earplug, unless of course you want to be selectively deaf
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM

I wear a Simpson Bandit car helmet that has a very small eyeport and a very large chin bar. I've never felt the need for earplugs because it fits over the ears like a pair of earmuffs and cuts out most all of the noise.

http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-ban...productid=1043

Open face helmets are fine - until the first time you land on your face. Plastic surgery and skin grafts are no fun.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:45 AM

earplugs, fullface.

In 6 months you won't notice the wind.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:16 PM

For the love of all that is good in this world, use earplugs. They make every second of riding so much better!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Drama much???

I wear a modular helmet & use ER6i's. They are awesome! Cuts out wind noise very well & allows you to listen to your favorite tunes!

And yes, they work with the Ipod...

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:31 PM

I will say it, just because no one has mentioned it yet:
I strongly suggest you wear ear plugs.

As a side effect, they help cutting down on fatigue. Main reason of course being you retain much more of your hearing, which is nice.

Don't let wearing glasses be the only deciding factor for wearing an open face helmet. There are several full-face helmets that allow you to wear glasses comfortably. You might be able to find a full-face that fits you well AND lets you wear glasses. For me that is the Shoei RF-1000.
If you really just prefer an open face helmet regardless of the glasses issue, then that's fine.

BTW, this nicely illustrates why I choose to always wear a full-face helmet:

In your mind, please replace "face shield and chin bar" with "face", then reconstruct the photo.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:45 PM

OMG, you ok otherwise from that one? That must have been a face plant on
asphalt. I t-boned a car in college and my helmet didn't look nearly so bad.

My Album:
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Our was it a poor choice of buffing compound?

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Our was it a poor choice of buffing compound?
No, I buffed it properly, Bear.
It looked much, much worse after the crash but before buffing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
OMG, you ok otherwise from that one? That must have been a face plant on
asphalt. I t-boned a car in college and my helmet didn't look nearly so bad.
Oopsie, didn't mean to give you a fright. That is not my helmet.

I copied that picture from someone on a different forum, just because it illustrates my full-face helmet preference so well.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Well I looked at full face helmets tonight, was rushed, will do further trying tomorrow. The modular Fulmer helmets allowed me to put my glasses on, while it seemed more difficult with the solid full face helmets. I have been using my coccoon fishing glasses, slips over prescription glasses, currently. I will have to switch to my clip on's, don't block out as much, but will allow the change to a full face. That picture of the helmet is worth a thousand words. Thanks for all the comments.........so....., I guess I should get EAR PLUGS!! Do they keep you from hearing the bike engine and car horns/sirens?
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
.........so....., I guess I should get EAR PLUGS!! Do they keep you from hearing the bike engine and car horns/sirens?
Nope.
When I wear my ear plugs (Howard Leight Max or Moldex PuraFit, both NNR 33 from the earplugstore (click to go there)) I can hear the tires of the car approaching me from behind hissing and rumbling.
In fact, you probably hear more with earplugs than without, because with earplugs your ears don't get desensitized by the constant noise of the wind, which makes you temporarily hard of hearing. ...And permanently, if you keep it up for a long time.

That earplugstore also sells sample packs, if you first want to try out a bunch of ear plugs before you buy in quantity.

Last edited by Pretbek; 08-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Pretbek!
I added thier page to my favorites, time to go to bed, goota work tomorrow am. supposed to be 90+ with heat indicies of 100-105. Guess I'll go for an evening ride like tonight. Def. alot cooler. Tomorrow I shop for the new helmet with an earplug order to follow. Thanks all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode