Versys off road....I think so! And Happy New Year! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys off road....I think so! And Happy New Year!

This is to just to put my thought about the V off pavement.

I had a KLX 250 for years and want a new 250 honda FI dual, hopefully in 2014. I would not try and take the V where I took the KLX 250. But........

The V has been really good on dirt road and trails in its street tires. In fact I have had no problem at all except on a gravel road once the gravel got about a foot deep and that would be a problem on any bike. IMO

I take the V places I would never have taken my Honda 750 Shadow. So with this thread all I say is don't take away from the V what it can do well.

If a person put different tires and a skid plate on it would be pretty good for light trails and dirt roads!

No not the best, and not good for jumping over logs ect. Its not a dirt bike or even a dual sport. Most of us understand that.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Well that's good to know cuz I've been way offroad with the Versys, and I liked it.
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 12:15 PM

Lovin every minute of it!

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 PM

I think this guy nailed it.

This is a link from off of Woody's Wheels.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3310

Cheers!

post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 12:25 PM

The thought that comes to my mind when I ride off road on my Versys is

'Will those who say it can't be done get out of the way of those of us who are doing it'
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
This is a link from off of Woody's Wheels.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3310

Yeh.....$7250 in mods on top of the price of the 'bike!!!!....l really don't think so!!!
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Yesah, it was expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Yeh.....$7250 in mods on top of the price of the 'bike!!!!....l really don't think so!!!
Your right. For that kind of money you could go ahead get a purpose built bike. Still looks good!

Cheers!

post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My 1978 Honda 550 four supersport was a better off road bike than the Versys is. Larger wheels, spoked rims, dirt bike sitting position. etc.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 09:15 PM

i met a guy at the end of a 400 mile long dirt road riding a Road King pulling a trailer. Anything is possible.
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:35 PM

I can't figure out why people are focused on the cost ....its his bike , his money ..he had a project in mind and he did it . I'm sure he could have just bought a 'real' off road capable bike BUT that wasn't the purpose of HIS project . Reminds me of dealing with Glock 'fanboys' , if you don't carry one your carrying crap ...

All adventures SUCK when your having one !
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 AM

Good post, Totally agree. I have a M&P 9 that I have grown very comfortable with, I have the same sort of experience with the fanboys you mentioned. I am glad I am not a brand whore.

THIS IS A KAWASAKI VERSYS FORUM

Is this forum not dedicated to improving the Versys and it's rider?

What do all of these members hope to accomplish buy boasting how poor the Versys is in a particular area? And stating “Yeh...My KTM Six Days is way better offroad” and “My (this) is better than (that)". All while other members are out solving Versys problems, on a Versys website? You are contributing NOTHING.

I would never tell anyone they are not capable of doing anything.

Last edited by jmarleau; 12-27-2013 at 06:41 AM.
post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Good post, Totally agree. I have a M&P 9 that I have grown very comfortable with, I have the same sort of experience with the fanboys you mentioned. I am glad I am not a brand whore.

THIS IS A KAWASAKI VERSYS FORUM

Is this forum not dedicated to improving the Versys and it's rider?

What do all of these members hope to accomplish buy boasting how poor the Versys is in a particular area? And stating “Yeh...My KTM Six Days is way better offroad” and “My (this) is better than (that)". All while other members are out solving Versys problems, on a Versys website? You are contributing NOTHING.

I would never tell anyone they are not capable of doing anything.
Just pointing out that ANY bike can be MODIFIED to ride off road. That doesn't make the Versys or any other street bike an OFF ROAD bike. If his title had said,"Modified my Versys to handle off road duty". There would be no discussion. Just Congrats for turning your bike into something it wasn't originally intended for.

The title can mislead the new Versys inquirer into thinking that the bike is a dual sport which it is not.

I have ridden many dirt and gravel roads on my Versys and even some light off road, but when I do that I have to do it at much slower speeds than I would or can on my KLX250S or when I had my KLR650. Those same dirt and gravel roads have been travelled on my Voyager 1700, but at no more than 20 MPH.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 09:55 AM

I had many bikes in past, mostly Japanese built and several BMW's. I stuck with the V because i really like this little beast. It handles like a supermoto if to compare with a bigger "purposeful" BMW. After many years of riding i know exactly what i need on daily basis considering that i live and ride every day in crowded New York City. I need Comfortable, Versatile, Powerful, Reliable bike that would not coast me a fortune. Versys delivers! trust me guys when i am saying this. I took my 2008 to some dirt roads that no sport or even standard bike could handle (Skid plate and proper tires are a must) I spent close to 3000$ upgrading and personalizing my 2012. Now, some of you will say "that kind of money buys a BMW or a Tiger" /. The answer would be I don't want a BMW, I love my bike, it is just about perfect bike for an every day city rider that loves to do some ADV riding.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.Russian View Post
...I love my bike, it is just about perfect bike for an every day city rider that loves to do some ADV riding.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned

Title uses the words "off road" yet in the first sentence of the first post thread Author (MTS) uses the words "off pavement"
DOH!

OFF ROAD?
Anyone got a link to any articles in any Motorcycle magazines or Motorcycle Journals stating the Versys is an OFF ROAD motorcycle?
Doesn't exist. But prove me wrong.
First person posting a link to known journal or magazine stating the Versys is an OFF ROAD motorcycle
will get 20$ paypal'd to their account by me pronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
This is to just to put my thought about the V off pavement.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
THE VERSYS CAN BE UPGRADED EASILY AND INEXPENSIVELY TO ADD GRAVEL ROAD CAPABILITY.
<OFF ROAD VERSYS>

Last edited by Seeya; 12-27-2013 at 05:21 PM.
post #16 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 PM

My Versys is a road bike. I have had the Versys on dirt, as in dirt road, but it's too nice to beat the crap out of IMHO. My KLR takes care of the dirt part, the KLR can do the road but nowhere near as well as the "V" can. I try and use the right tool for the job.

BTW I was the same way with my Buell, but I've seen a few beaten half to death from offroading.

The Roadking with trailer reminded me of a photo I saw of a Goldwing some guy was riding at Moab! Talk about about a "Old Lady in a bar fight"!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:39 PM

From Revista Motociclismo
(Italian Motorcycling Magazine):>>>

The answer to this thread is simply not either/or, but rather the Versys can be both.
post #18 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM

Anybody know where there is a Kawasaki Versys Forum?
post #19 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Anybody know where there is a Kawasaki Versys Forum?
Have ya tried doing a search?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Have ya tried doing a search?
Ha Ha Ha Ha oh my god you crack me up....

Yes, I have. It brought me here. But this is a KLR forum now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode