Rear pit stand experiences - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Rear pit stand experiences

The first time I bought a rear stand for my V, it was the cheapest one I could find. I've seen this same stand sold under half a dozen different brand names. The one pictured below. It worked OK at first but soon loosened up and began to sway from side to side with the weight of the bike on it and even dumped my bike a few times causing damage to the bike exceeding any savings on the stand. The spool clips never stayed in position either. I'm sure others will say this is a great stand for the money but, IMO don't buy this stand and spend a little more for better quality.

Just replaced this with a stand from Motor Sport Products. It is MUCH more sturdy, stays in adjustment, has no lateral play and weighs 3x more due to heavier steel construction. Also comes with a life time warranty for half the price of a Pit Bull. It can lift with or without spools depending how you set the stand up.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-27-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Better looking wheels on the MSP version too. What do you use on the front?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The wheels are twice the size on the MSP stand.

I use a head lift stand. Do not know the brand but it is well made. The only issue is it is not made to lift a tall bike like the V so I just barely gets the front wheel off the ground. Ideally I would like to have a front lift stand that can lift from both the head for fork work, but also lift from bottom of the forks for tire changes. The kind that lift from the bottom are more secure and get the bike up higher but you obviously can't remove the forks with them. The head lift stand also does not allow me to center it inside the steering bearing as it will not get the front wheel high enough this way to lift it off the ground. I have not seen a head lift stand that is ideally suited for the V although Pit Bull (which I have not seen) do offer an adapter specific to their head lift stand for the V. It will also lift from the lower forks. If money was no object it would be the one I would have purchased for the front.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-23-2013 at 02:38 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I use the T-rex stands including the extra piece that goes into the steering-stem for removing the front wheel and/ or forks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-Big Red copy.jpg (77.7 KB, 83 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode