Any thoughts on this before I buy ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any thoughts on this before I buy ?

I'm ready to pull the pin on a new Versys except for this. I have another bike (ZZR1200) so I'm not in a big hurry and where I've waited this long I'm wondering if Kawasaki is about to make any upgrades to the current model. I have seen where they upgraded the frame of the ER6N (which it used to share the same with the V) and feel they might do the same to the Versys. Anybody hear anything ? I wouldn't mind a 750 or 800 either but I wouldn't hold out for that as I'm done with big power but I also do a fair amount of touring and could use a little more than the current V. ABS would be nice. I keep lurking around this site and I know how happy everyone is so am I crazy or should I wait and see One thing I do know, it's gonna be green. Any input will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:32 PM

I think that you will be able to order ABS on the 2010 models. Other than new colors I would bet that's it.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 AM

I do have an ABS even in my -07 model V, so should be possible to get one in -10. But I do live in Finland and dont really have idea are how rare ABS are in US.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 AM

If Kawasaki are following the same sort of cycle on model changes as on other bikes then the Versys is due for an update RSN. it was first launched in late 2006, and the Kawasaki change is about 4..5 years. so it could be this year, it could be next year, it could be never. if the bike isn't selling well then they may decide to continue with parts bin updates and new colours or even drop it all together.

however thats all intangible. if you don't buy the bike, then you will miss out on all the fun to be had this year. if you believe in the idea of a 'riding season' then you will not be get the grins from riding a Vee untill next year or the year after..... ultimately yer pays yer money, yer take yer choice.

Last edited by healdem; 08-05-2009 at 02:45 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Since the current ER6 and Ninja 650R were just updated this year, and with somewhat of a slowdown brought on by a suffering economy, my guess is that we may see a redone 700 cc Versys, along with new ER7 and Ninja 700R possibly for 2012... I hope it'll have a multi-link rear suspension. An aluminum frame and DBW triple 700 with VVT would be nice too.

Last edited by invader; 08-05-2009 at 03:32 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
If Kawasaki are following the same sort of cycle on model changes as on other bikes then the Versys is due for an update RSN. it was first launched in late 2006, and the Kawasaki change is about 4..5 years. so it could be this year, it could be next year, it could be never.
Like the KLR?

I seriously doubt that the V will get anything more significant than colors and BNG's in 2010 (and they may expand the availability of ABS).

I certainly wouldn't wait to buy one on the off chance that something more significant is changed.

2 pennies,
Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Since the current ER6 and Ninja 650R were just updated this year, and with somewhat of a slowdown brought on by a suffering economy, my guess is that we may see a redone 700 cc Versys, along with new ER7 and Ninja 700R possibly for 2012... I hope it'll have a multi-link rear suspension. An aluminum frame and DBW triple 700 with VVT would be nice too.
Good luck. With the economic turndown, I doubt there will be anything major. I just heard that Honda is suspending Gold Wing production at Marysville OH and will move it back to Japan.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM

I wouldn't wait to buy a Versys because of possible updates to the bike. Updates are possible but unlikely. I say get a green one, like you said you wanted, before they are all gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Blipco, have you ridden a Versys yet? If your going into this already thinking you might like more power then it may not be the bike for you.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I haven't yet ridden one and hope to get a demo ride soon. I didn't mean more power than the ZZR but more power than what the V has for a more relaxed highway ride. The ZZR is only turning 4500 RPM for an indicated 80-85 MPH. I could demo the V and be perfectly happy with it's power, it's the suspension and handling I'm most concerned with. I've seen tests and personal videos on You Tube and it looks great but I still have the Big Z and it can produce a lot of grins but really, the thing is a beast. I'd rather have a bike that I can ride to it's potential rather than part throttle most of the time. In 99 the ZRX1100 came out then after two years Kawasaki upgraded the engine and frame and in 2001 came out with the ZRX1200. I bought an 02 and loved it. But I moved on after 50,000 miles to the ZZR. I'm just wondering if Kawasaki is just using up all their old frames on the V. It seems they are selling all the V's they make.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 AM

Basically, the Versys is a "Standard" bike, something that's not often seen anymore. It's not a sportbike or a dualsport or a dedicated touring machine. It's what you got years ago when you bought a Triumph Bonneville or a BSA Lightning. It's great for city riding and for shorter trips. It handles well and has reasonable performance. I think I recall one source that quoted 1/4 mile times in the 12s.

Anyone having these expectations will be happy with one. The problems start when someone starts trying to make the bike something it's not. That person would be happier with a more specialized bike that better fits his/her wants and needs.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM

I mostly agree with ttpete, but the "versytility" of the V is that it can adapt to lots of riding conditions and handle most of it well. Not extreme dirt, but it's great on trails and dirt roads. It's not a sportbike, but it will hang with 'em. You get the idea. It does most things well and for asphalt riding it is simply more fun than any bike I've ever been on.

It fits my short touring needs, but I don't have any long trip experience.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well I just did a 2450 mile great lakes challenge ride in 65 hours. So I can say that it is a great 1-up touring bike. I also found the road that this bike was built for. Coming south out of Chapleau Ontario on 129 you will find some of the most scenic county in the world. It is along a river and has great twisty roads. From fast sweepers to quick technical stuff. It is also frost heaved like you would not believe and bumpy as all get out. My buddy on his ST1100 was working hard to keep up. His suspension was bottoming out and it made it very difficult for him.

Now when we were back in the US on I-80 I had to work at keeping my speed constant. I have a tall windscreen and I am greatly affected by wind. As I would approach a truck I would get sucked up in behind him as the wind let up, then I would move in the left lane and get a blast of on coming wind and slow down. Drove my buddy in the ST nuts cause I would constantly speed up and slow down. I have a cruise installed but it does not work well in these conditions.

Oh and I did this on the stock seat. Yes I have a sheep skin and small air mattress for it, but the stock seat is not as bad as folks make it out to be.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Wow!!

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
I mostly agree with ttpete, but the "versytility" of the V is that it can adapt to lots of riding conditions and handle most of it well. Not extreme dirt, but it's great on trails and dirt roads. It's not a sportbike, but it will hang with 'em. You get the idea. It does most things well and for asphalt riding it is simply more fun than any bike I've ever been on.

It fits my short touring needs, but I don't have any long trip experience.
Don't forget that the Triumphs and BSAs were also used for just about everything that you mention. In the 60s, there were no purpose built dirt bikes to speak of, and those that were, were just the same bike with a high exhaust system. It wasn't until 1965 or so that Bultaco, Husky, Maico, and CZ had dedicated MX bikes available here. The Japs had nothing comparable at the time. Most of the desert racers used the vertical twins or big singles, and they were stripped down street bikes.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

I do believe the Versys is a versatile standard bike. I'm just wondering if it is due for a meaningful upgrade. At this time of the year I may as well wait if I buy new. Used, I guess any time is good.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Just my personal opinion but I doubt if Kawasaki will make any significant changes to the Versys. I don't think it's selling all that well, at least in North America, and I doubt that Kawasaki wants to invest in development and retooling for a do-over unless they're changing something with its sister bikes as well.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 PM

I think your guess is as good as any of ours. It will be due for an upgrade in the nearish future, but who knows when. When it comes, I would be surprised if they did anything big.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:01 PM

They may not be selling that well in the Great White North, but here in Ohio they are selling very well.

Maloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Just my personal opinion but I doubt if Kawasaki will make any significant changes to the Versys. I don't think it's selling all that well, at least in North America, and I doubt that Kawasaki wants to invest in development and retooling for a do-over unless they're changing something with its sister bikes as well.

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloy View Post
They may not be selling that well in the Great White North, but here in Ohio they are selling very well.

Maloy
They are selling very well in Europe, that would be reason enough for an improvement.(remember, they improved the ER6N) I just read another post about an old rumor of a 1000cc version. Many members said they would buy one in a second. Personally I would be happiest with a suspension/ frame upgrade first(even if just to get rid of that motor mount tab cracking issue) and a power upgrade second. My point is , I have a bike I'm riding now so I can wait. To be truthful though, if I knew for a fact no improvements were in the pipeline I'd pull the trigger now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode