Drove my versys into a fence today... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Drove my versys into a fence today...

So, today was the first time in weeks with decent weather and I decided to get out and get some interesting footage for my new action cam. Got a little more than I bargained for when I crested a hill into a reducing radius turn and lost traction... The V went straight across the left lane up a hill and into a fence. My riding partner said the bike came straight up almost into a flip and top spinned around to face the other direction. I came off the V, hit the fence and bounced into the road. Walked away with only minor injuries thanks to full gear.

The front fairing was demolished, I'm debating going for a street fighter look if I can find a new bracket and tach. The frame and forks are fine, once we pulled the fairing bracket off the tank I drove it home! I have a set of new PR3's that I hadn't put on yet too
(maybe it would have ended differently)...

Here's the video, sorry for the loudness, turn your sound DOWN.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 02:50 AM

Holy smoke! Glad you are ok though
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:39 AM

Glad your OK. It could have been much worse.

So what exactly happened? It looks like you were going a bit fast, but not crazy fast. The camera flips up so I can't see the road. So you might have run into sand or gravel at mid turn? I actually teach a motorcycle safety course and one of the most important emergency techniques, IMO, is what we call "Push Steer", where we instruct the student to push your inside grip toward the front to really lay that bike down in an emergency. Were you doing this sort of thing.

I know the crash sucked, but seeing nice roads in December for a Canadian under 3 feet of snow is nice. Again, glad you are OK.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:53 AM

Glad you walked away from that wreck!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 AM

Was it gravel...Worn tires? Which tire lost traction? Did you go into the turn hot and then feather the brakes mid-turn? Glad to see your ok. Sorry about your ride though.

Watching the video again, it appears as if you first initiated the turn over a patch of sand in the middle of the road.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 AM

Glad you are ok.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 AM
MTS

And you walked away!

At :05 bad patch of sand mud and gavel. This I would guess was part if not all of the problem. That and stock tires?

Hope you get your bike back together soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:54 AM

Glad you walked away. Looks like there was some ice or coating in the center of your lane. Happens fast, doesn't it?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM

Glad you're OK! Now you know to be wary of that driveway runoff.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:38 AM

You couldn't have found a much nicer fence to crash into - beats a barb-wire shredder!

Glad you are OK. I agree with the gravel/sand patch observation too. One New Years resolution is to change out those tires if they are the OEMs.

Time to count your blessings!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I know the road pretty well and just forgot where I was at. I thought I was coming up on a softer turn and got surprised by that one coming in too fast.

Stock tires with a fairly worn out center tread, shoulda put the PR-3's on before I went out... I checked up a bit when I saw the turn but when I dove in it felt like the rear wheel lost traction. It wiggled, stood up, and went straight into the hill. Worn tires, speed, and maybe bad road conditions are what I'll blame...

jmarleau, looking back that would have been a great idea, but once it stood up and I was in the wrong lane I decided to ride it out. That's a blind turn and there are a lot of big trucks on that road. Long grass and wood are softer than metal.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 AM

Boned!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Glad for you that nothing was coming in that left lane!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you came out okay..I have a spare Tach/Speedo off an 09.I got it in a ebay auction it was connected to the inner fairing bracket i needed. The Tach/Speedo works i hooked it up last year when i got it you can see the mileage on it. I'll take $160.00 shipped if you want it. New there $560.00 the cheapest on ebay i"ve seen has been $240.00 plus shipping.

IMG_1478 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:19 PM

Glad you're ok!! Any wreck you walk away from (and learn from) is a good one...

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM

Yikes!
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

How fast you were going, looks about 65+ish ?

It appears you were on your way down, front wheel, before even getting off the pavement.
from going too fast, initiating turn on road debris on a slightly off camber road cross slope.

That situation could have turned out very different and much worse, all well the ends well.

The slow-mo portion would be more telling if it started just prior to the drive way when you were still in control.

Last edited by Seeya; 12-20-2013 at 12:37 PM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

weljo, I'll PM you soon about that tach, I am looking for the fairing bracket too if you have one. My tach got crushed into the ignition switch, put the key right through it. I'm getting a shop quote soon and haven't decided if I'll claim insurance yet.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 PM

Sure glad you are OK. Great to have video. I recently caught an edge trap and went sliding. I learned that particular lesson and do indeed feel grateful for it.

You'll be more sore tomorrow and the next day, as you know.

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ouch! Glad you're ok. Showed it to my wife and now she is freaking out. Thank goodness she got few months to cool down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode