BEST TIRE SET-UP (for this type riding) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
C-C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BEST TIRE SET-UP (for this type riding)

i know this has proably been discussed 1000 times , im in need of tires and dont have time to do a search.

2008 VERSYS 4K miles, stock dunlop's on the bike now, front looks ok,, rear tire has a flat spot across the center.

95% interstate commuting
3% back country roads, just cruising (no knee draging)
2% mabye on a dirt road or gravel

i also want a tire that performs well if i get caught in rain and winter is coming up soon, although it never gets that cold here...

tires i looked at are the dunlop roadsmarts

i have heard about the pirelli diable strada and tournace (but i dont think the tourance has matching sizes)

mostly a good sticking road tire that performs well in the rain.

im also going to a 43 or 44t rear sprocket...

bike is totally stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM

that's a good question, I'm just about in the same boat. I'll need new tires pretty soon too. I'm leaning towards a street tire though as my offroad use will be extremely limited, and I'm thinking if I get on a gravel road or dirt trail a street tire would work unless large uphill or downhills are involved.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM

I am in the same situation, and I am thinking Roadsmarts as well from what I have read, good dual compound tire that is great wet or dry.
Where are you getting your sprocket from? Do you have to replace the chain to convert or can you run the same chain?
Where in Alabama are you? I am in the Athens/Decatur/Huntsville area.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 PM

I put a 44T on it, and you can use the same chain, you would just need to slide the axle back a bit to tighten it up a tad.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
C-C

still looking for the sprokets, i want a gold anodized, but might go steel because they last longer.... if i go gold im getting a gold chain....any imput on that topic

the roadsmarts are looking good,, is there a better combo.

im at airport marine just south of b-ham.

www.airportmarine.com
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 PM

I still have some miles left on the OEM's before I have to decide, but so far the Roadsmarts look pretty good.
The steel sprockets will definitely last longer than the aluminum I believe. (I work for a steel mill, so I may be biased to steel!)
I will start looking for you on I-65. I have not ventured that far south yet, but in the fall maybe.....
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
C-C

red 08 versys, i ride from clanton (exit 212) to (exit 234) almost every day.

i did get the adjustable kawasaki windshield, great add on product.

keeping everything else stock except the 44t rear sproket and new rubber.

i want to add the givi bags and rear trunk, but im not paying for new,, waiting to find a used set for sale...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 PM

I replaced the originals with Roadsmarts and couldn't be happier. Other than a short life I didn't think I had a problem with the original tires.....until I found out how much more predictable the Roadsmarts seem in turns for me. The dual compound seems to work great as I feel they're fantastic in curves yet the center tread on the rear is nowhere near as flattened as the original was with about 6,000 miles on it....

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM

May also want to look at Pirelli Scorpion Syncs (what I am running and really liking - great in the rain) or Avon Storms

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Review the thread in "Techical Discussion" about the Shinko 005 tires. I plan to put a set of Shinko 705s on my Vstrom and they are cheap ($180 a set). The thread speaks highly of the 005 after 1,000 miles of use and its worth a read.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
Review the thread in "Techical Discussion" about the Shinko 005 tires. I plan to put a set of Shinko 705s on my Vstrom and they are cheap ($180 a set). The thread speaks highly of the 005 after 1,000 miles of use and its worth a read.
Love my 005's. Great price as well as performance. I would say go with a 170 rear though. Rounds off the kind of flat and narrow 160.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
C-C

theres not much clearance with the stock 160 rear tire, how much clearance with the 170 rear... the 005's look good, im leaning roadsmarts for a few dollars more.

what about the clearance on the 170's
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-C View Post
theres not much clearance with the stock 160 rear tire, how much clearance with the 170 rear... the 005's look good, im leaning roadsmarts for a few dollars more.

what about the clearance on the 170's
Not a problem. 3/4 inch to the chain and about an inch to the muffler.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM

I spent a few dollars more and got the Roadsmarts.
I've heard that the shinkos have a flatter profile and turn-in slow.
I'm very happy with the way my roadsmarts handle in rain.
I've only got about 500 miles on them so far though.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM

I am up here at exit 351 to 340. Let us know what kind and where you get your tires from. And the sprocket too!
How do you like the adjustable windshield? I am looking to replace mine as well, and I was considering that one or the Givi.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM

avon storms are the way to go

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Bridgestone BT 021. I have them on my big heavy ZZR1200. 10,000 miles so far and I'd say good for the rest of the summer. Probably 3000 more miles. Maybe $ 220 per set. Rides and turns in real nice.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM

I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's on hand that I have to get put on. I'm at 6500 miles on the stock Dunlops. Went down on a wet curve last week. Even though the rain was too light to have really washed the oil from the road, I keep wondering if it was because I took the turn with too much lean, or with too little tire. Maybe a little bit of both. Until I change tires, I'm a little leary of enjoying my turns. I had the service guy look at them--he said there was another 1,000 miles of tread left on the back tire, but that the front has a touch of dry rot. Dry rot?? The bike is only a year old! Does that make sense to anyone?
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 PM

Hi C-C,

Posted this in the UK V forum.

I ride 100% on the road.
I very happy with the BT016/021 combo.
Details about the tyres:
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...183&LookupID=9
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...180&LookupID=8

With my earlier BT021 front, it feel like a small drift at the front at high speed. With the BT016, steering is quick/precise and turning in bends with confidence (wet or dry).

IMHO, If putting on the BT016, adjust your front suspension to your liking. The BT016 profile is smooth like a slick. Probably the wear on this tyre would be faster than the BT021 but the grip is want I need. We can compensate a slide at the rear but can't afford a slide at the front end.

Hope it works out for you, Best Regards.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
I replaced the originals with Roadsmarts and couldn't be happier. Other than a short life I didn't think I had a problem with the original tires.....until I found out how much more predictable the Roadsmarts seem in turns for me. The dual compound seems to work great as I feel they're fantastic in curves yet the center tread on the rear is nowhere near as flattened as the original was with about 6,000 miles on it....
....what he said. Roadsmarts are great. got them on my V and Bandit. Much more confident with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode