New Triumph Tiger 1050 any good? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Triumph Tiger 1050 any good?

Hi everyone, i have had my Versy for over a year now and love it, but like all good things they must come to an end. So i was just wandering if anybody has ridden the new Tiger1050. I saw some threads on here with people saying it could be a good jump up in power but with a similar feel to the Versys, this is just what i'm after.

Unfortunately i can't seem to find one to test ride here (South Australia/Adelaide), So if anyone has tried it can you give me a run down on how it compares and what you thought overall. Thanks.

P.S. I love this site it is very helpful and informative, thanks to whoever started it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 AM

test rode a Tiger about 2 months ago, about 3 months after passing my test and getting a Versys.

my impression on a breif 1 hour test ride in a mix of country (tarmaced roads) and dual carriageway wa that it is a very capable ride. very similar to the versys in many ways, similar riding postion, similar feel.

the bike is bigger and heavier, but not tremendously so. acceleration is fantastic, the engine is a gem. so much so i fear that if I buy one i'll end up getting points on my licence.

cockpit seems better than the vee, switchgear looked a little less agricultural. everythign seemd to work. no complaints

the brakes are far more responsive, posibly too sharp for my preference.

the engine is a gem, sounds a bit rattly/sewing machine like at low revs but sounds glorious over 4..5k rpm

build quality looked good, my only real niggle was what looked like an obvious seam in the rear seat fairing going to the number plate.

looked great in sparkly orange, but then my vee is candy orange...

would i buy one.. mebbe next year..... but I don't think is does that much much better than the Versys. if i was doing more touring more long distance trips the extra power could come in handy.but I don't so I question whether the extra power would be used in say the 50 weeks when im not planning going away on a long trip.

for me the sticking point is that extra power. as a returning rider of 49, after a 25 year layoff the Versys has enough power to scare me, but not enough to terrify me. the Tiger has enough to terrify.. for me. I tend to ride the B roads in and around the hills of Derbyshire North Wales and the Lake district, where out and out power is not reqired, you will rarely touch speeds in excess of 55..70 so the extra power isn't needed apart from mebbe the delivery trips.... Im not especially keen on moptorway travelling or hammering down A roads (major trunk roads)

thats my personal asssesment. its a great bike. if you want a bigger brother replacement fr a versys i think it will do a grand job. there have been a few complaints about fork seals but in essence the bike has been around for a similar time to the Veee and hasn't had many serious complaints.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 AM

Hi Laurence
I have test driven the Tiger twice. First solo and at a later stage, 2up with my wife. I don't have dozen of bike experiences to compare it to but having owned a Versys for just over a year, my comments and comparisons are as follows:
1)The Tiger offers a similar upright ride with more spacious legroom when riding but you really do need to be significantly taller for it.
2)The seat is vastly superior to that of the Versys, a comment supported by my wife on the pillion seat.
3)The Tigers gear shift was not as positive as that of the Versys and would take a little getting used to
4)The clutch action on the Tiger is significantly heavier/stiffer.
5)The Tiger's performance is phenomenal. It pulls powerfully and effortlessly 2up from 2500rpm in top gear.
6)The Tiger does not feel quite as light and agile as the Versys in spite of only weighing 20kgs more
6)ABS breaking on the Tiger as std here, not at all available on the Versys.
7)The rider's airstream seems to be a lot cleaner on the Tiger at speed.
I really think its about budget and application. If you want a cost effective, versatile bike that can do most of it pretty well, the Versys is great, but if you do longer roads, particularly 2up, and have the means to acquire and support the Tiger, it would make an awesome upgrade.
Good luck in your decision!

"Only dead fish go with the flow"

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM

Why ask us? Ask the folks that ride them...Here is a great forum
http://www.triumphrat.net/forum.php
They even have a dedicated Australian forum...You might just be able to hook up a ride from someone in your neck of the woods...Let us know...It is definitely a bike in my future...Good luck

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Here's another good forum. I have been following it for some time now.

www.tiger1050.com

The tiger is a nice bike. It does have some issues. I don't think I have come across anyone who is not happy with the upgrade from the Versys. For me, It wasn't worth the financial stretch... yet. The big cat is nice, very smooth, quick, and build quality is good. The issues you will likely encounter are...

1. Low speed jerkiness. On/off snatch with the throttle. Must be the biggest complaint on the forum. Some have had success with the TOR ECU flash from Triumph that richens the bottom end... with or without pipe upgrade, they say it's worth while.

2. Suspension is too soft. It's a big change coming from the V. A lot of owners wind up having their struts rebuilt with stiffer springs, and different valving.

3. For all the comforts of the seat, owners still complain, and many, like us look forward to their after market corbins.

4. Buffeting. Not a perfect world. The owners complain about buffeting just like us.

5. Clunky shifter. All of them. They say it smoohes out some after several thousand KM of break in, but be prepared for some false neutrals, and firm shifts.

6. Oil leaks and consumption. On some bikes.

7. Loose bolts. Tends to be a dealer issue. Apparently the dealers are to re-torque every bolt, some aren't, and leading to issues.

8. Side bags suck.

Not to put you off the bike, as these are all resolvable issues, but these seem to be the main concerns on the forum... which is VERY active BTW.

I didn't find the bike that much faster than than my V on initial acceleration, or tall gear, slow speed rollons. It definitely has much more top end.

If I had a lot more money, I would opt for the Tiger, and I do lust after one. However, the V is not too far behind it, it also has fewer issues, and I know that like the V, if I got a tiger, I'd be spending several K to rectify the issues with it, and I factor that into the purchase price.

Hope that helps

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 08-03-2009 at 10:32 PM.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys, i think i will take one out as soon as i'm able too and see for myself, from what you have said though it does sound like the next step up from the Versys, fingers crossed, cheers.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 AM

I know this reply is bit late for you Laurence, but I thought it might help anyone else going this route.

My wife and I have a Versys each and we love them. Had mine almost eighteen months and ride every day.

I bought a 2008 Tiger 1050 a couple of weeks ago, and bought used so I could afford to keep the Versys.

The seating position is similar but there is more leg room on the Tiger, but to me at 6' the bars are less comfortable on the Tiger, as I have to lean a fraction further forward.

I think the Versys seat is more comfortable, not what most people say, but my opinion.

The biggest negative of the Tiger after the Versys is that I have got used to the Versys fuel consumption and range and the Tiger is not quite so good, expect about 15% less than on the Versys.

The rest is mostly very good for the Tiger.

My wife says the pillion on the Tiger is better.

The engine and power of the Tiger are awesome.
Snatchiness is absent on mine, smooth as butter and as powerful as but much smoother than a KTM 990.

Springing is a little soft on the Tiger, but only a problem two up and loaded. I am 230lb and it feels planted on all but the bumpiest of high speed sweepers. Yes it can be improved if you want to do track days, but can't they all.

Tiger gear change is really smooth with or without clutch, and the inital standing engagement clunk much less than the V, but it is harder to find neutral as there is no Kawasaki limiter on going from 1 to2 when standing still.

Standard luggage is not big enough on the Tiger.

The longer wheelbase of the Tiger makes turn in a little slower but the bike feels steadier through high speed bends and I take them quicker than on the Versys.

The Versys seems to carry it's weight lower and feels more agile on smaller twisty bumpy roads, but the Tiger is no slouch.

Brakes on the Triumph are greatly superior to the V, but if you do not want to do stoppies, then I find the Versys more than adequate and the extra bite of the Triumph a little redundant.

The Tiger does have a feeling of quality that reflects the higher price tag.

Overall I would say that if you commute as well as ride for pleasure, the Versys is hard to beat as an all-rounder.

For getting your pulse racing on sweeping "a" road bends and high speed cruisng the Tiger is probably superior. On smaller roads with some grass or gravel, I would prefer to be on the Versys. There is an area in the middle, scratching on twist "b" roads, where they are different but its hard to say which is best.

I have been on the Tiger forum quite a bit these last few weeks. I would say there seem to be few issues with relaibilityand dealer support seems to be better than many brands.

I did not think I needed the extra power of the Tiger, but it is funny how quickly you get addicted to 114bhp ...

Steve
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 PM

I brought my new Tiger ABS home on Saturday. I always meant to check out the Versys when I became serious about a new bike, but the Tiger got to me first. It was the engine that sold the ride, it is just fantastic. I figured there was no way after that ride that I could drop down to a 650cc parallel twin and be happy. Not to mention ABS was one of my requirements for a new ride.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 PM
cls

I sold my Tiger about a month ago. It's a great bike when, and if, you get the bugs worked out. For the open road and/or two-up riding, the power is worth it. Otherwise, I prefer the Versys for it's slimmer profile, flickability, ease, and economy. Pick and choose, as always.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM

I just sold my 2006 Tiger, to probably get a Versys. Everything already covered here, but I wanted more of a park/gas/ride/bulletproof bike with local service/dealers. But that torque.... man hard to give up!
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

If they could just transplant that engine into the Versys everything would be great.
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 01:24 AM

The nutshell view...

The Tiger is much like what a 1050cc Versys would be like with almost double the power.
Do you need the power? No. Is it fun? Yeah. What do you ride for anyway? The V has terrific bang for the buck, but a clean '07 Tiger can be had for $7k. A nice '08 V for $4k if you shop. To answer your question....they are both very good, IMHO.

Last edited by jacjetlag; 09-12-2009 at 01:26 AM.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 AM

Updating my review.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of trying out a used Tiger 1050 with the TOR exhaust and nicely set up suspension.

What a difference from the brand new 1050SE I rode in the spring. It just ripped. The motor was flawless, and pulled smoothly without a hickup from as low as 1500 RPM. It had wayyyyy more power than my V. It was scary fast in the first couple of gears, and torquey in the higher gears. The suspension was stock, and was set up nice and firm, very much like the V. The hole thing is very smooth, and attests to a good quality bike overall. Neutral can be hard to find... god bless Kawasaki for their neutral finder.

Overall, it was hard to find fault with this one. It was very much like the V, just more.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 PM
FJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Updating my review.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of trying out a used Tiger 1050 with the TOR exhaust and nicely set up suspension.

What a difference from the brand new 1050SE I rode in the spring. It just ripped. The motor was flawless, and pulled smoothly without a hickup from as low as 1500 RPM. It had wayyyyy more power than my V. It was scary fast in the first couple of gears, and torquey in the higher gears. The suspension was stock, and was set up nice and firm, very much like the V. The hole thing is very smooth, and attests to a good quality bike overall. Neutral can be hard to find... god bless Kawasaki for their neutral finder.

Overall, it was hard to find fault with this one. It was very much like the V, just more.
For one, if you want a good review, ask the people who own them, go ask the people in their forums, not here. This last post is the most accurate of all so far here.

You will be surprised to see quite a few former versys owners there and some that kept them for whatever reason. Put both side by side and unfortunately the versys will loose, the Tiger is all that multiplied by 2 if not 3, no kidding.

Yes it needs to be dialed in a bit (what bike doesn't) and when you do, hold on, all grins.

PS I'm in tiger1050.com as well (owner)
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 AM

Tiger...great bike!

I like my tiger better than the following bikes I have owned:

'06 BMW GT
"07 RT
'06 GS
'09 800 GS

I love my tiger.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
I like my tiger better than the following bikes I have owned:

'06 BMW GT
"07 RT
'06 GS
'09 800 GS

I love my tiger.
I had my eye on the Beemers when I went to market for a new ride. I test rode an F800ST and a R1200GS. I walked away confused and sad. They had their pros but both disappointed me for different reasons. Not to mention I couldn't stand that goofy turn signal setup!

I rode the Tiger the next week and it was everything I was hoping for out of the Beemers.

Moral: ride lots of bikes.
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 PM
TJC

Well, interesting question... actually I am about to "pull the trigger" on a Kawi Versys on Tuesday... but I've been a thinking... took the Versys out for a test ride on Saturday and it is a great bike... but it did remind me of my Triumph Tiger '01 that I traded in several years ago.. so now, I'm actually thinking of getting a '09 Tiger (Black).. I had Green in '-01 loved the bike and hated the color...why I got green I will never know. I think there is a Tiger in my future. When I had my '01 Tiger I loved the way it rode; it is a great all around bike, and frankly an amazing sport bike, very versatile too...again, it was the Green that just finally got to me. Anyway, I think the Tiger is a great step up from the Versys. Good luck! Cheers!!
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC View Post
I'm actually thinking of getting a '09 Tiger (Black).. I had Green in '-01 loved the bike and hated the color...why I got green I will never know. I think there is a Tiger in my future. Cheers!!
I bet your future looks like this:

I wholly endorse your choice and color.
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM

Garage
Tiger Farkled by Speedy?

Hi

Are the mirror extenders standard on the Tiger - or does Spedy allow his beautiful farkles be used by just anybody?

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Hi

Are the mirror extenders standard on the Tiger - or does Spedy allow his beautiful farkles be used by just anybody?
No, not standard. Those are made by SW Motech and are available at twistedthrottle.com.

The only other non-standard bits in that picture are the front fender extender and the center stand. Everything else is stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode