Versys paddock stand question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Versys paddock stand question

I got the paddock stand today & assembled it,(3 main parts, tube/bolt connections) & wanted to know if yours is as rigid or is this thing a little too flimsy?............I can't see it breaking in the 'careful' environment it'll be used in, but if for instance the Harbor Freight version is more bang for your buck ($29.95) then I'll send this one back, but, this one does give you spool supports/lifters AND frame adaptors (see photo) for lifting the missus's 'bike!
I made a quick youtube vid to show you the product in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REQ9P...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8940.JPG (134.8 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8942.JPG (114.6 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Britmick; 12-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
That one will work as well as the Harbour Freight one. Works best on a level spot. Also i feel its more solid using the spools. Never had a problem worring about the front wheel turning. I just put it straight. i put a piece of wood under the kickstand to get the lean out and its easier to lift that way. Left hand on the grab handle to keep the bike steady and push down with the right hand to lift the ass up.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:08 PM

Now you need a front stand. I use the one that lifts using a pin in the bottom of the steering stem. That makes it possible to service the fork legs. If you get one, the proper pin size is 27 mm.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
wanted to know if yours is as rigid or is this thing a little too flimsy?
I just watched your video. No, no, no, no, no.......

I would not use a stand that flimsy, period. That's just me. That may work OK for its designed purpose and low cost but I am not putting my $7000 (new) bike on a $29 stand. I use Pitbull stands. Just one tip over and the damage caused by a flimsy stand will more than exceed the cost of a buying a pitbull to begin with. Plus, the pitbull stands will outlast me no matter how many bikes I ever own.

In comparison to your stand, Pitbulls are rock solid.. There is no wiggle at all and I can mount the bike move around on the pegs and dismount and not have any fears of collapse or tip over while lifted. Being able to sit in the bike while on the stands can be handy when setting up certain things like handlebars & controls.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 12-13-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

So that's 2 yes's & one no,no,no etc so far.....any more comments?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 PM

That one looks just like the cheaper one at CycleGear I was eyeing for 39 bucks. The employee stressed to me not to buy that one because of it's flimsiness and spend a little extra on their next model up which was much more rigid for ten bucks more. Here is the one he recommended for $49: That being said, he uses a pitbull.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 PM

I gotta go with the Capn here. I have a set of T-Rex stands, front with the triple tree pick up point and rear. I used them on my Buell and now on the Versys and on rear of my KLR. I've seen the aftermath of a cheap stand failing, one very beat up bike and a badly dented car, with a VERY mad wife! The later was the worse I was told.

A couple hundred bucks for a good set of lifts is well worth the price.

I also have a Sears Bike jack that I use on the KLR as to use the front lift I'd have to pull the fender...a pain.

I was waiting on the right size "Spud" and was using the lower fork set up here but steady as can be.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 12-14-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added photo
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM

I use T-Rex front and rear stands, with spools on the back. The whole setup is rock solid, and I have no problem getting on and off the bike with it up on just the rear, or both. There's no wiggle, anywhere. I couldn't imagine doing serious work on that stand you've got, especially something like torquing the rear axle nut. The geometry of that whole thing is off, and it doesn't appear to be rigid enough. I'd take it back and spend a bit more money on a more solid stand.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Hmmm....I have NEVER used anything other than Pit Bulls!

well, that IS NOT EXACTLY quite true, so let me "amend my statement"

"I have NEVER used anything other than Pit Bulls!
AFTER I picked my motorbike up off of the pavement
BECAUSE that lesser/cheap/me trying to save some bucks
OTHER BRAND OF STAND failed me and DID NOT DO IT'S JOB"

NOW.....that's my story AND I'm sticking to it! :yeah smile:

Listen up guys, there are several brands of stands out there that ARE REALLY GOOD.....and many,many more out there that ARE PURE JUNK!

If you really want to find out the difference, the next time you are out watching the local fast guy road racing types, just wander through the pits AND SEE FOR YOURSELVES.

Some stands are easy to adjust, easy to get the motorbike up on it AND off of it, plus they hold your pride&joy secure during all kinds of adjustments/maintenance/or nearly just about anything you want to do with it.

If you have a doubt....replace it, change it, modify it, buy another, install a new one, etc.
....any other questions???
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 AM

I bought a cheap on from Cycle Gear, tried it, returned it as fast as I could. Used the credit on a Pitbull.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Looks flimsy to me. I always say "you get what you pay for". Is it worth saving money on a stand if your bike falls off it?

I use PitBull stands almost exclusively. Are they expensive? Yes, but you'll buy them once, they will last forever. They are USA made and the owner stands by his product - excellent customer service.

Another brand I've used and is good is Woodcraft. Problem I found is that their spooled stand, like most, isn't width-adjustable. It's made for a standard sized sportbike, which has a 180-190 rear tire; it was too wide for the spools on my V.

The thing I like about the PitBull and the one I found works best on my V is their SS standard spooled/standard tops: http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchant...de=rear_stands

I have several rearstands, most are a fixed width. I found that those were too wide for the V with it's narrower rear wheel. This stand is adjustable width-wise.

I also have the PitBull front stand that lifts the bike from the triple, works well if you need to do any fork service. The one that lifts from the bottom of the forks is fine if you're just removing wheels.

I have a lot of stands as I take my bike to the track, they get a lot of use and abuse. The PitBulls are the best. I can put the bike up on stands, sit on it, jump up and down on it, practice hanging off the side, making vroom noises (hey, riding season is over and I'm bored!) and it's not gonna fall over.

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 12-13-2013 at 07:20 AM.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I can put the bike up on stands, sit on it, jump up and down on it, practice hanging off the side, making vroom noises (hey, riding season is over and I'm bored!) and it's not gonna fall over.
Hey you do this too! I thought it was just me.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Hey you do this too! I thought it was just me.
Haha, winters are too long, and it's snowed here in NJ already! Gotta have some entertainment.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Looks flimsy to me. I always say "you get what you pay for". Is it worth saving money on a stand if your bike falls off it?

I use PitBull stands almost exclusively. Are they expensive? Yes, but you'll buy them once, they will last forever. They are USA made and the owner stands by his product - excellent customer service.

Another brand I've used and is good is Woodcraft. Problem I found is that their spooled stand, like most, isn't width-adjustable. It's made for a standard sized sportbike, which has a 180-190 rear tire; it was too wide for the spools on my V.

The thing I like about the PitBull and the one I found works best on my V is their SS standard spooled/standard tops: http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchant...de=rear_stands

I have several rearstands, most are a fixed width. I found that those were too wide for the V with it's narrower rear wheel. This stand is adjustable width-wise.

I also have the PitBull front stand that lifts the bike from the triple, works well if you need to do any fork service. The one that lifts from the bottom of the forks is fine if you're just removing wheels.

I have a lot of stands as I take my bike to the track, they get a lot of use and abuse. The PitBulls are the best. I can put the bike up on stands, sit on it, jump up and down on it, practice hanging off the side, making vroom noises (hey, riding season is over and I'm bored!) and it's not gonna fall over.
I have a Woodcraft, and the way they're adjusted is by slightly spreading or compressing the arms. Slightly crude, but that's the way it's always been done.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I can add my vote to the T-rex group, ESPECIALLY w/ the extra bit to go up into the steering-stem to remove front wheels!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I have a Woodcraft, and the way they're adjusted is by slightly spreading or compressing the arms. Slightly crude, but that's the way it's always been done.
Yup, that works as well! I just didn't want to make a stand permanently too narrow for my other bike! But I have had to adjust some slightly.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:37 PM

I think I have the same one as OP, but white and with spools. Had it for 2.5 years, and use it regularly for washing, lubing &maintenance.. It wobbles when you force it to, but it's not just going to fall apart randomly. Have left the bike on it and a front stand for several days during some maintenance procedures..

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I had that stand (OP's original post) and ended up throwing it away. Over time it ends up twisting sideways and allowing he bike to fall off sideways. The harbor freight/princess auto stand seems much more robust. The problem is the bolt holes in the lower section are in light metal so enlarge and allow twisting over time.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 AM

I used Pitbull stands exclusively until I bought the Track Side stand from Cycle Gear. I haven't tried to lift it on anything but a level surface, no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode