Rode a CBR1000RR tonight... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rode a CBR1000RR tonight...

Holy cow. Holy cow! and Holy Cow!

Who the hell buys one of those? When can you EVER open it up? It's so fast it's just ridiculous. Ironically, or so I thought, it is much harder to turn than the V.
It is a lot faster than the Speed Triple I tried a few weeks back, and not as easy to drive.

Crazy bike.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 05:04 PM

The "holy cow" part I felt after riding a Buell 1125R. The thing is fast as hell, but very easy to ride. It didn't turn that well, but the suspension was not setup for my weight at all.

I'll never really get people buying those uber bikes. You can rarely fully stretch their legs, and when you can you run some big risks (death, huge fines/jail, etc).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Yup red. Had one. Danger danger will

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 AM

Just think about the fact that its not even the fastest liter class bike! Pretty crazy what they are doing with sport bikes now days.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Ya. How can you tell them apart on the street?

Here's what I wrote on Versysuk...

Holy ****! What a freaking monster. I don't understand why anyone would buy one of these for daily riding, or even weekend blasting. There is so much power, you can't ever open it up. Even canyon carving would be a task. My Versys is easier to toss through the corners, and I can use all it's power, which is both a blessing and curse. More power is usually better, but I think there comes a point where more power isn't necessarily better.

Maybe if I was able to get it onto an open road and unwind it, I would understand better. It was way faster than either the Triumph Tiger, or the Speed Triple that I rode a few weeks ago. Those were quick bikes, but this thing is warped.

I quite liked it, but it scared the **** outta me, and I can understand how easy it would be to get into some serious trouble on it!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM

The instructor at my safety class said more marines are getting killed on their crazy fast sport bikes at home, then in Iraq.

He said, take a revved up young marine, give him a reenlistment bonus, not enough riding experience, and a sport bike that can go 150 mph. You know how this ends

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 PM

This happen today after finishing coffee at local coffee shop...

Three of my buddies, one Honda CBR 1000 (08) and Yamaha R1 (09), Kawasaki ZX6 (09) just pull away from me on straight while we were taking off at the same time when light turn green...

I RPM up to almost "RED"... They just pulled away at a fast pace... I didn't have a chance to find out if they were using full power...

Well... That's the reason I don't want a sportbike... They are light, powerful and very very fast!!! You can get yourself into all kind of trouble... I know... My last bike was a 07 Suzuki GSXR 1000.

I am happy with Versys... It serve me just right!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM

I really think factories have reached the level of over-kill with Sport-Bikes. Take the new BMW RR1000 for example. BMW says it develops 193 Horsepower and it weighs about the same as our V's! How's anyone but an experienced racer supposed to utilize that HP/Weight ratio safely on public roads and streets?

Last edited by Versysbob; 08-05-2009 at 04:17 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Your right their not. Really good top amateur AMA riders will tell you that they are not using all the new sportbikes have to offer. Which is great for them because they can get something off the showroom floor and learn and grow as racers without a huge investment. The other thing racers will tell you is the only place to find out about limits of these bikes is on a closed circuit with traps and runoff areas. Hey I have had a couple of sportbikes and love them but I donít wont to own them anymore, plus you canít hit a dirt road and riding in the rain makes you want to cry with the pending clean up!

Last edited by douglasgraham; 08-05-2009 at 11:28 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 AM

Yeah, I don't get it either.

A few years ago, I rented a Kawasaki ZX-11 Sport Tourer out in Colorado. It was capable of about 180 mph. It was way too tempting to use that horse power!

As it is now, I can barely keep myself safely in check with my Versys!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 PM

You guys keep saying you don't want to own a sport bike but a Versys IS a sport bike. No it's not one of those race replica sport bikes but it is all sport.

As for race replicas on the street there is really no point in my opinion. I try to push the V pretty hard and there is still a lot left, anymore and I'm pushing the safety limits into basic random chance.

Also if you look at the bikes people are running on track days you will find the majority of them in the 600cc range. Even on the track a 1000c seems to be considered "too much".

Look at the Suzuki website in the description does it say anything about "street"?

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...9/GSXR600.aspx

fitz
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:14 PM

The Versys is a sport bike for guys who want to ride sitting up straight and not hunched over the fuel tank with so much weight on their wrists. The Versys also has wide enough bars and enough ground clearance to handle gravel and dirt roads once in a while. A versatile system, yes?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz View Post
You guys keep saying you don't want to own a sport bike but a Versys IS a sport bike. No it's not one of those race replica sport bikes but it is all sport.
I do think the Versys is a "Sport Bike" and I love owning it! I was telling my Harley buddy who lives in Wisconsin about it when I got it and he asked what it looked like. This question from a guy who knows all about whats available from Harley and NOTHING about any other brand. I described it as a "Euro Style Steetfighter Sportbike ". Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, it was quiet on the other end of the line for a long time as he pondered what this must actually look like.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:24 PM

The geometry of the Versys vs. the R-1, GSXR, CBR, etc., etc., are in fact quit different. Fork rake, seat height, and wheelbase being a big one. Just being a 4-cyender power plant changes ride characteristic dramatically. I had a CBR 600 rr just for doing track days and it was a rocket. The two platforms are not even close. I agree the V being pushed on the street is a pretty deep bike and I agree that itís sporty but not a pure sport bike in any area. It however is the perfect bike which is why we smart people own them:-)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM

Have a buddy who has a CBR1000. He loves it and is a speed demon. He mentioned the other day it's not the bike for any real distance trips because of the race set up, he uses it for the track and twisties, shorter rides. I think they are awsome bikes, just not for me. I'd get myself in trouble with that power and it just does not do what I want a bike to do. The V does. For my buddy, he'd never get a V. I think there may also be some ego at play for some guys who purchase those types of bikes.

As we pretty much all agree, the V fits the bill in so many area's and seems to really come alive in the twisties. Had mine for a year and I like it more all the time.

The sport bikes are cool for the folks who ride them and I'd like to ride one to check it out, but I'd never buy one. I agree the power seems insane on many of the new sportsbikes and seems best suited for the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode