Any reason not to cruise in higher RPMs? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any reason not to cruise in higher RPMs?

So, after babying the V a bit for the first 2400 miles, I have finally been deciding to use the motor. And my god, does it feel good at 7k+. Doing 8k in third puts me right around 70mph, according to the speedo, which is still well over the speed limit on most roads I travel. So, my question is, is there any reason not to travel in the 7k to 9k range for extended periods?

Oh yeah, and I need a new exhaust.... Stock don't sound so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM

Wear and tear in the long run maybe? You certainly won't get 50mpg/gallon though.

You'll like it at those revs with a new exhaust...at least I did (cherry bomb for me). Often I'll wind her out starting out and passing but still cruise in sixth at hwy speed.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 AM

High rpm's =pistons up and down many more times per mile which =fewer miles for the life of the engine which = more repair costs and worse fuel mileage and more oil consumption.

But the good news, it's your bike, treat it like you want. If it feels good to you do it!

When it does wear out early though, it will be an excuse to get a new bike, which is a plus.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 PM

I would not run 70mph at 8k. I would be pissed at you if I were your motor. Less RPM's is better for gas mileage, and less strain on your motor. If you want to do that as you pass by a hot chick then that's one thing. Doing that for an extended time is IMHO being a moron. no offense. LOL
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Its good to ride at high RPMs when you're riding aggressively (mountain roads and such) but for cruising there is no reason to do it, and plenty of reasons (mentioned before) not to do it.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, cruising at 70 mph @ 8000 rpm in 3rd gear is just crazy when you have 6 gears to use. You'll just be wasting gas, accelerate engine wear, and add strain from operating it at low loads. It'll run hotter, and engine braking will be excessive. The Versys has great low end power and it cruises well in 6th from as low as 50 mph (3500 rpm). Downshift only when more power is desired, and accelerate up to higher rpms with the engine pulling a load. Don't let it float there needlessly.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I used to cruise at 3500, but at lower RPMs I notice the vibes a lot more than at the higher RPMs. And with 90% of our components being from the 650r, which is built to sustain slightly higher rpms, I would think that the wear difference wouldn't be as bad. And even riding at 3.5k, my mileage has been in the 40-45mpg range. Running at 5k seemed to slightly improve my mpg, which seems counter intuitive, until you think about it. Yes, it is doing more revolutions, but if each revolution is putting out more power, and it is not being zapped by the drivetrain, you could possibly improve your gas mileage. Kind of like how my car sweet spots at around 2.5k instead of 2k.

Of course, this is all relative to chain condition, tire type, and tire pressure.

And to clarify, I was cruising at 7k, but noted the speed at 8k. I think 7k put me at about 65mph. However, I think I may go back to cruising in the 4.5-6k range.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 PM

Running is a lower gear will sure yield lower gas mileage, but I know what you mean about the vibes. It does seem to smooth out at higher RPMs. But the vibes aren't really that bad except in a few bands...just avoid those and run it however you want.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM

I'm running 5k at 70mph with a 44t rear in 6th gear. And I wish I had a 43t to get below 5k.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 PM

I find anywhere between 4k and 6k to be good for cruising.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 PM

An occasional short burst is fine, but I see absolutely no point in running consistantly at those rpm's.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
I find anywhere between 4k and 6k to be good for cruising.
I'd agree with this, I have the 16 tooth front sprocket and often cruise at 70 - 80 mph (5 - 6k rpm) in sixth for hours at a time. I get at least 50 mpg doing this, and often a bit more.

regards, Bob
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 PM

I took mine up to 9.5k yesterday for the first time. It really took a dive when i hit 8.8k or so. No power.

What about everybody else.

Like i say, first time, i just wanted to see what it felt like.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 PM

If I remember right, the Versy makes the most HP at around 7K rpm, running it beyond that seems pointless.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 PM

I agree, pointless. It seemed to fall on it's face.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 PM

Mine feels the best at around 5k RPM, I generally run at between 4k and 6k cruising depending on speed limit. I keep it at or above 4k no matter the speed limit unless it is really slow. The motor just seems to be more responsive when kept above 4k.

It is fun to wind it up when taking off though, speed limit in third and then quick shift the last three.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 PM

Ride however you want...

In South Florida we have six lane highways that are completely flat and clean, which allow you to ride for prolonged periods of time at any speed you like, especially between 12AM and 5AM when there are barely any cars on the street. I have taken the V out from North Broward all the way down to South Miami Beach staying between 115-125 mph the whole time (about 30 minutes) on 6th gear @ 8-9.5K rpms and the bike has not let me down so far. The V has a lot of power and resistance for that matter. When I get to South Beach the bike does not feel hot and I actually do this quite often. When I am cruising however, I usually hang in at 5-6k rpms at whichever gear the current speed requires to be at.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM

I'm sure it can take the high revs for a high amount of time. But the original poster asked about cruising in 3rd at 8k rpms. No reason to do that when you have three gears left. And I'm in South Florida too. Quite boring isn't it?
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoopidKid View Post
In South Florida we have six lane highways that are completely flat and clean, which allow you to ride for prolonged periods of time at any speed you like, especially between 12AM and 5AM when there are barely any cars on the street. I have taken the V out from North Broward all the way down to South Miami Beach staying between 115-125 mph the whole time (about 30 minutes) on 6th gear @ 8-9.5K rpms and the bike has not let me down so far. The V has a lot of power and resistance for that matter. When I get to South Beach the bike does not feel hot and I actually do this quite often. When I am cruising however, I usually hang in at 5-6k rpms at whichever gear the current speed requires to be at.
Make sure you mention this to potential buyers when your trying to sell your bike. I'm sure many potential buyers will be all over your bike wanting to buy it!

tachin 8-9 k going 125 mph is one thing, going 8-9k going 40 mph is another. I'm sure the bike is running cooler at 125mph then 40mph too.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode