Cost to change tires in your area? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cost to change tires in your area?

I think I should have purchased new tires from the dealer. I picked up some tires online, made a few calls this morning and I'm shocked at what these guys want to install them. First place wants $250. That's just for installation. Second place wants $150, much better, but still. I can remember paying $300 out the door for a set of tires installed the last time I had a set put on a street bike. Ouch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM

I had a flat front tire 2 weeks ago,while driving,and got it to dealer $130 for stock dunlop $70 to take off and install.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 AM

Damn! Buy a bead breaker from harbor freight and do it yourself. I use the 2x4 bead breaker method then spoon them on. A little bit of a pain, but well worth saving some $$.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I change all my own dirt bike tires. Didn't feel like buying a bunch of crap just to change the tires. With the center/bottom exhaust, you need the swing arm lift and bungs etc, right?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Some dealers are charging high fees just to penalize you for buying your tires on line.

I was in my dealers place a while back,( I like my dealer by the way) when a guy came in with a tire in his hand and asked to have it put on. One of the shop owners who is a mechanic, unloaded on this guy for buying his tires elsewhere and then wanting them to mount it for him.

If he had talked to me like he did to that fellow, I would have never gone back in that store again. I made up my mind to keep on doing my own tires .

I'm not sure why a dealer would not charge a fair amount, say 30 dollars to mount a tire for someone who has their own tire. 30 bucks is more than they had when the guy walked in, and it only takes about 10 minutes to mount and balance a tire. Plus you probably made a friend who will purchase something from you in the future.

I used to do all my tires with tire irons, and always had good luck without too much effort.

I recently got the Harbor Freight changer, and did a few mods to it to keep it from scratching my wheels, got the no mar bar, and now I can do a tire in 10 minutes not counting removing the wheel from the bike, which I would have to do anyway.

If you are able, do your own, you save a couple of hundred bucks per change, and probably get a better job in the end.

You can buy your own balancing setup from Harbor Freight or from Ebay, and that is an easy job as well.

I'm all for supporting your local dealer, and I do any time I can, but there are just some screwings I am not willing to take, and tires is one of them.

That's my opinion anyway.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

In hindsight.......

I stopped by several shops over the past few weeks, and they never have the tires I wanted. But I guess it would have been just as easy for them to order the set for me. I'm down to where I can see the steel on the rear tire, and I'm planning on taking a trip over the weekend. I was really hoping to drop the bike off for a day and just get it done. I think $100 sounds reasonable. There's a brand new harley service shop in town, I'll call them today and see if they don't just curse me out for having a jap bike AND buying my own tires.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM

I recently paid 180 for a pair of Roadsmarts ride in ride out which at current exchange rates is around $300, they supplied the tyres and fitted them.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 AM

Shops are all over the range on prices for this service. Its really stupid. The local Harley shop wanted 250!! The local Honda dealer said they could only do it if you brought the entire bike in not just the wheels. Then they have to charge for removing and reinstalling wheels. That little service was 125. However I found a shop in Warrenton Virginia a few years back when I was on the track every weekend that actually encourages you too buy online and bring the tires with you. They charge 24.95 per install and 4 dollars to dispose of the old tires. The shop for anybody local is Blalock Cycles. Nice people great shop and deal in Honda and Yamaha but will change the tires on any brand.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:27 AM

The problem is lawyers and the $$ they will get from the installer if something goes wrong after the install.

The only recourse the installer has is to insure they control everything they can. That way they know that the tire was good, the wheel(s) were changed out properly and that the tire(s) were inflated properly and balanced correctly BEFORE the customer took it out on the road.

At least that is what I got from the local Harley dealer when taking a tour of the dealership where I was taking the MSF training course. Of course this was the same dealership that I tried to buy an Buell Ulysses at. When I talked to a salesman about the bike and that another dealership in Texas was selliing the same new bike @ $2000 less and asked what this dealership could do for me. He answered, "I can give you directions to Texas."

I walked away without saying a word and promised myself I would NEVER spend another $ at that dealership.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHerder View Post
... the same dealership that I tried to buy an Buell Ulysses at. When I talked to a salesman about the bike and that another dealership in Texas was selliing the same new bike @ $2000 less and asked what this dealership could do for me. He answered, "I can give you directions to Texas."

I walked away without saying a word and promised myself I would NEVER spend another $ at that dealership.

at least he was honest and didn't dick you around with creative prices that seem attractive at first.

If thats the dealers bottom line, then thats their choice. as you pointed out, you can always take your trade somewhere else.

if their business model works for them, then good luck, if it doesn't then they will be changing their tune or go bump
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 AM

I've found a small local independant shop that charges $15 to change out the tire when I carry the old tire and wheel in along with the new tire. I was going to get the harbor freight changer but when I found out I'd only pay $30/year for a changing fee I figured I could live without the bead breaking and levers in a 90+ degree garage (depending on the time of year). Plus I can get the bike inspected there as well and they're great folks. I have the t-rex front and rear stands to get my wheels off.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Good news! The new Harley shop quoted $50 with wheels off the bike, $70 for both wheels on the bike.

It pays to call around.....
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM

$50 from front $50 for back. If you bring the wheels in its cheaper.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Here in Columbia, SC, dealer won't do it unless you buy from them. Cyclegear if you buy the tires from them will install for $20, but you have to take the tire off and bring it in. Check www.cyclegear.com to see if a store is near you.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost45 View Post
Here in Columbia, SC, dealer won't do it unless you buy from them. Cyclegear if you buy the tires from them will install for $20, but you have to take the tire off and bring it in. Check www.cyclegear.com to see if a store is near you.
Just like here. And I think you meant take the wheels off & bring them in.

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Just dropped off the bike, they were like "Oh, you wanted 2 tires installed....". So I guess it's going to be $140, they said it would be cheaper to buy the tires and have them install them. Live and learn.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:52 PM

You need to go on your local forums (or racer forums) and find the guys who own their own tire machines. Around here $50 will get both your tires swapped.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Don't get mad...but $20 per wheel for me.
This is for loose wheels, I take off the wheel myself and bring it in the trunk of my car.

This is for an independent shop. They don't sell tires so they don't have an incentive to screw me on mounting. About 15 minutes to do the job.

I recommend you bust out google maps and find any and all motorcycle shops in your area, not just dealerships. In fact, especially not dealerships.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Yup, did the google bit this AM. I thought this new shop I went to today didn't stock tires, it's just an independent service shop. If I weren't in such a hurry I might have had a better go of it. That rear tire sure went fast. I mean, just a couple weeks ago I noticed the wear indicator, next thing it was squared off and the next layer was visible on the sides. Then the damn steel is showing. In fact, today it was flat.

I'll have to find somebody cheaper or pony up and buy the gear. Rather get somebody else to handle it because my garage is already so full of stuff from dirt bikes, kayaks, lawn mowers, kids bikes....etc.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM

+1 on the independent shops.

I refuse to pay a dealer for anything service related. My bikes for the last 30 years have never gone back to the dealer unless it was something warranty related.

If I have to use a shop, I use an independent.

Tires? I've always mounted and balanced my own.

The insurance excuse is just that, an excuse.

Just my two centavos...

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode