Versys production/distribution/import data? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys production/distribution/import data?

Hi- I've also posted this question in the "intro" section, but I think it fits here in this general discussion.

Question:
Where can I find the production/global distribution numbers for the Versys by country (all years, preferably)? I'd like actual data, although these numbers might be relative by region (such as UK, EU, etc).

That is, I'd like to find a table or spreadsheet breaking down how many Versys units have been imported and then sold in all the countries to which it has been distributed, thus far. If we could even have the ranges of serial numbers and color options delivered to said countries, that would be great.

After a few quick searches, I can't seem to find this basic information anywhere, but I bet someone here has it or might be interested in helping me dig it up.

Will post follow-up questions as well. Cheers.

Last edited by dyad; 07-28-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyad View Post
Hi- I've also posted this question in the "intro" section, but I think it fits here in this general discussion.

Question:
Where can I find the production/global distribution numbers for the Versys by country (all years, preferably)? I'd like actual data, although these numbers might be relative by region (such as UK, EU, etc).

That is, I'd like to find a table or spreadsheet breaking down how many Versys units have been imported and then sold in all the countries to which it has been distributed, thus far. If we could even have the ranges of serial numbers and color options delivered to said countries, that would be great.

After a few quick searches, I can't seem to find this basic information anywhere, but I bet someone here has it or might be interested in helping me dig it up.

Will post follow-up questions as well. Cheers.
I'm really curious, why would you guys (you said 'we') need or want this info, especially the serial numbers? How about a little more info on you & your 'team'...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 PM

It's a trade secret . They don't want to show their cards to the competition.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

We...

We'll, I was using the royal "we"...

Here's the response I just posted at the other thread (in the welcome section at: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4642 - in case you're curious.

Wow- suspicion is so easily aroused! I can understand it, and in the spirit of openness I'll explain. And, even though I typically avoid emoticons, I'm going to use them just this once so as to be even more entertaining.

First, you might find that you can corroborate my story, limited though it may be, at this other thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4502

Of course, the conspiratorial mind could conjure up a "story" with a good "back story" but I won't go there, but rather explain further.

I am in the predicament of needing to move overseas for my work. This is also somewhat corroborated by my "location" (above right, which was just me being honest), as I am currently in-between homes; I live in Vermont now and another country about 5 weeks at a time.

You might be asking, what is your work? (Spy?) Well, if I told you I'd have to muzzle you... or worse! No really, I'm currently a statistics professor at a small college, but will be moving back to more administrative affairs which will be international in scope, basically working with small colleges around mathematics teaching. If you want even more of my story, then I'm going to get suspicious of you!

Anyway, as you can perhaps imagine (if you believe I'm innocent), I'm really truly personally interested in data (in general), and particularly in geographical data, and the Versys has an interesting "geographical story" to tell so far. I remember reading with interest in Cycle World that there was a clamor to get the thing sold in the US to begin with, so it would be interesting just to know just how many were sold in the first US year versus in Canada and Europe, etc.

"Hmmm," you might be saying, "is this guy going to publish his findings in some rarified academic journal?" (Probably not, I'd rather be riding!)

I'm a bike nut too, so of course I want data about my new favorite bike just for the hell of it... (I know, I'm trying to ingratiate myself to you Versys lovers and afficionadoes... or would you rather be called "well-versys'd" ?)

I'll stop poking fun after this response. But you are asking for it if you really think this is some industrial spy syndicate using your forum as a jumping-off point... don't you think if I had any clout I'd just go steal the data like they do in all those movies?

If you read the other thread, I'm actually trying to weigh the options of selling my bike with being able to buy another in my eventual country of residence. I'd like to know: (a) if the Versys is available, and in what countries, and if so (b) how many are there (widely available, or only a few, in said country), and even which colors, etc. are available if possible. I may try my best to ship my bike(s) overseas, and that would be an adventure in itself! Or, I may need to sell mine, and then still need to buy from a nearby country and transport it somehow to my new home.

I don't exactly know at this point, but having a worldwide database of this data would help me figure it out. Even if you aren't a statistics professor, wouldn't you like to see these numbers, too?

I also analyze every big step in my life, almost to death; at this point I even get pleasure out of it . Sorry if you can't understand that. I'm not trying to be insulting. OK maybe I am, but it's actually me trying to explain that I tend to over-analyze things. Most people would probably just sell the bike, move, and buy something else.

By the way, before putting in my question here I actually called a few worldwide dealerships listed on Kawasaki's website, and they usually just told me whether they have sold any or not, a few told me how many, or if they intend to sell any next year, etc... If not, they were pretty open about their hopes and intentions to sell the Versys. But then of course those are just the dealers... Hm, I might just have to call corporate headquarters next... but will have to cloak my voice and set up a fake website and then I can sell the data to the highest bidder... gotcha, huh!?

I hope you can take my jibes with a grain of salt... but it does strike me that considering how many of you chimed in, my reaction thusfar is typical me. I spend most of my time being ganged up on by students! I always redouble my response to any onslaught. And, I don't take being ganged up on lightly!

I hope that's enough for you. Cheers, it's past my beer time.

I feel so... You'll now have to collectively decide whether you feel ashamed of yourselves, now or ever... But no need, this just proves what I tell my students all the time, "data is everywhere, even though it's surprisingly controversial to know the truth." Believe it or not, I really do talk that way in my lectures. Welcome to my world. Can you see why I usually limit myself to questions on any forum like this?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the explanation, and for taking the high road by not just telling us to 'piss off'. You have to admit though, a new member shows up, asking for numbers info, including serial numbers & colors, without an explanation, it's bound to ruffle a few feathers. I was in the military for awhile, & work for them now as a civilian. You are exactly the kind of person we're taught to be suspicious of!

Besides, you type far to intelligent to be the average forum member, so I was naturally suspicious! I have a hard time putting together a simple sentence with one & two syllable words, much less paragraphs full of 'em! I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this. And the funny truth is, probably none of us have the info you're looking for.

With that being said, please allow me to say, welcome professor!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 09:09 PM

Last edited by Zammy; 05-03-2013 at 05:12 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 PM

Hmmm, I detect an air of condescension.

"I hope you can take my jibes with a grain of salt... but it does strike me that considering how many of you chimed in, my reaction thusfar is typical me. I spend most of my time being ganged up on by students! I always redouble my response to any onslaught. And, I don't take being ganged up on lightly!"

What makes you think we don't respond the same way..We aren't YOUR STUDENTS btw.

"I feel so... You'll now have to collectively decide whether you feel ashamed of yourselves, now or ever..."

I'd feel shame if I let your arrogance slip by with out a reply.

"I also analyze every big step in my life, almost to death; at this point I even get pleasure out of it . Sorry if you can't understand that. I'm not trying to be insulting. OK maybe I am, but it's actually me trying to explain that I tend to over-analyze things. Most people would probably just sell the bike, move, and buy something else."

Yes I would and have many times!

In light of Prof. Henry Gates, he of the gigantic ego, extremely biased intelligence, limelight loving (ala Jackson and Sharpton) persona endowed with a miniscule stature, attacking a poor uncouth knuckledragging freaking low life cop like Sgt. Crowley, I'm a bit sensitive to "PROFESSORS" the likes of Gates and Churchill and possibly yourself looking down on us blue collar peasants.

If it wasn't for some moron with a shovel digging a septic tank, they'd have nowhere to sh*t.

If it wasn't for some backwoods farmer with dirt under his finger nails they'd have nothing to eat.

If it wasn't for some undereducated loser with a hammer they'd have nowhere to live.

If it wasn't for some filthy garbageman they'd die of numerous diseases.

AND if it wasn't for some gun toting simian with a badge... they'd be cowering in the dark bleating for someone to protect them from the wicked masses.

END OF RANT!

Last edited by Nick; 08-01-2009 at 09:34 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 06:50 AM

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 AM

I always appreciate a good TBL reference...anyways, I don't think there's any condescension there, just humor...I thought it was pretty funny...accurately calibrated and justifiable, mocking humor...I don't think that one's line of work has any bearing on/should dictate one's ability to have a sense of humor about "things." Some folks write well, some folks wrench well, some folks punch hard. To cast aspersions via "transferrence" based upon your placement in any category simply starts one down the road to self-victimization and/or bigotry. "Humor is surpassed only by charity in the nobility of human virtures." And, BTW, I'm blue-collar as well.

Last edited by ednukey; 08-01-2009 at 10:07 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednukey View Post
I always appreciate a good TBL reference...anyways, I don't think there's any condescension there, just humor...I thought it was pretty funny...accurately calibrated and justifiable, mocking humor...I don't think that one's line of work has any bearing on/should dictate one's ability to have a sense of humor about "things." Some folks write well, some folks wrench well, some folks punch hard. To cast aspersions via "transferrence" based upon your placement in any category simply starts one down the road to self-victimization and/or bigotry. "Humor is surpassed only by charity in the nobility of human virtures." And, BTW, I'm blue-collar as well.
How noble of you, I'm not so charitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode