GPS set up? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GPS set up?

My wife wanted a Christmas gift idea from me. I have decided to ask for a GPS that I can use on my V and in my car. Any preferred units and mounts used by my U.S. V riders on this forum? I've always used maps in my past, so really don't know what kind of features to say I'm looking for... ANY comments are welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRKVERSYS View Post
My wife wanted a Christmas gift idea from me. I have decided to ask for a GPS that I can use on my V and in my car. Any preferred units and mounts used by my U.S. V riders on this forum? I've always used maps in my past, so really don't know what kind of features to say I'm looking for... ANY comments are welcome. Thanks!
I have the TomTom and the Garmin, both with RAM handlebar mounts and holders. They both come with holders and suction dashboard mounts, and a base round plate that you can adhere to the dashboard if you don't want it on the windshield.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 PM

I am a firm believer in garmin but to each is there own. the one modle I am looking at is the zumo390 lm
life time map updates and has a mapping function for curvy roads

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Banned

I own several but

For ease of use and convenience by default I just use android smart phone with My Tracks App

If needed

I know my route as intricate as desired (a GPX file) prepared on laptop before ever leaving leaving home.

Last edited by Seeya; 12-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 PM

I use iphone with Navigon App for my V, car, walk etc...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Do the phone based suggestions work in remote places? I was in New Mexico earlier this month and there was no phone service for hundreds of miles in some places. I know GPS works off a satellite, so its always working....right?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Ram mounts are good stuff. I also favor Garmin. Don't spend four times as much for Zumo, go with a basic Garmin for $100 or so.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned

yes for example with android smart phone
go to -> settings -> location and security -> use gps satellites-> toggle on
install MY Tracks (free)
you can always still get a GPS too
My tracks is great for dog walks, hiking, kayaking, riding, running, etc
then learn how to create a track and copy to your phone it's real easy.
you can also record a track and share with others and use others shared tracks.

http://www.google.com/mobile/mytracks/

Quote:
Do the phone based suggestions work in remote places? I was in New Mexico earlier this month and there was no phone service for hundreds of miles in some places. I know GPS works off a satellite, so its always working....right?

Last edited by Seeya; 12-06-2013 at 03:29 PM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Awesome tip seeya. I have a MDXMax so I'll try your suggestion, since I always have my phone w/me. But....I'm looking at a Christmas present, so need to support capitalism with a purchase of some kind. I have until Sunday night to have a make and model to submit on my "wish list". But thanks for the valuable tip!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:12 AM

GPS units have the roads maps built in no need for phone service to keep track of the maps for you. I am currently using a car unit in side the my tank bag. but want the zumo for durability and ease of use with gloves also the zumos are waterproof and built for vibrations.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Navigon app downloads all the maps offline (including PoI, wikipedia, itinerary etc) so all what you need is your phone gps signal....I had navigon europe and traveled 10.000km in europe in 36 days on my V with absolutely no issues even in remote areas...just keep the phone in charging and cover it when it rains...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm a Garmin fan. For the bike, I have a Garmin Zumo 350 with lifetime maps. The mount works well, it stays on the bike, as it's hard-wired in, making the connection waterproof when the GPS is in the mount. It has the option of also connecting via a mini-USB, so it can be used in a car. IMO, the car-only units won't hold up to the demands of being on a bike. The Zumo is vibration and waterproof, and it can be bluetoothed to blue-tooth compatible headsets, so you can hear the directions. I'm very happy with it.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:49 AM

Lotsa folks use Garmin car units on bikes with good results. I paid under $100 for mine. I think I made more for the Ram mount which is vastly superior to what comes from Garmin.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:54 AM

Highly recommend the RAM mounts as well. Rock solid. No chance the Garmin will bounce out.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics Capn. I believe the Ram mount it will be. Looks like the Garman is highly recommended. I'm leaning toward that brand now. I wonder what the difference is between the zumu 350 and nuvi are? I guess its time to go to the garman site.... Thanks for the help! The people here make this site incredibly useful.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the pics Capn. I believe the Ram mount it will be. Looks like the Garman is highly recommended. I'm leaning toward that brand now. I wonder what the difference is between the zumu 350 and nuvi are? I guess its time to go to the garman site.... Thanks for the help! The people here make this site incredibly useful.
'Bout $500.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
'Bout $500.
Holy bank drain! The zumu is super nice, but I can't justify the cost. I think I'll be choosing a car unit and an find some kind of all weather case for when the weather looks ominous.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm a Garmin fan too and have a Nuvi 1390 on my 08 Versys. It isn't waterproof but with the MotoWerk (Speedy's) mount I've had no problems even though I don't regularly ride in the rain. If I find myself caught in the rain, I remove it and rely on internal navigation. That's a lot less expensive than the big bucks for water resistant motorcycle specific units, IMHO.

I've also found that www.gpscity.com has good prices and good service, and a ton of choices - many under $200.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pic Arion. I like the idea its centered and positioned where I wouldn't have to take my eyes as far off the road to view it. Not sure I have the room with my new MRA windscreen. I think I'm still leaning toward the ram mount. My hand would be closer to my grip if I need to "fiddle" with it while moving.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...I know GPS works off a satellite, so its always working....right?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
GPS units have the roads maps built in no need for phone service to keep track of the maps for you. I am currently using a car unit in side the my tank bag. but want the zumo for durability and ease of use with gloves also the zumos are waterproof and built for vibrations.
Check out the Nuvi 550....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode