Slide out, OK, bike bruised - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Slide out, OK, bike bruised

I've waited to post something about my recent spill until some of the dust had settled and I knew what the repair estimate would be. Damn if I don't now fit the mold of the new rider who drops their bike. Wounded pride.

Coming home from work a few weeks ago I was in the slow lane on the freeway crawling along in traffic when a car was stopped halfway into the lane. Cars were going onto the shoulder slightly to go around, and I followed suit. No problem at first, and then when turning to get back onto the lane I didn't know their was a f*&%ing 2" gap between the shoulder asphalt and concrete freeway and my front wheel slipped out and I went sliding. I was doing about 15 MPH, and so not too bad, and was wearing full gear as always.

Luckily, everyone stopped, and I low sided and the bike slid away from me. It happens so damn fast, as everyone knows. I was fine, and my full suit took the abuse and will be replaced. Only a hip pointer because my Olympia suit didn't come with hip padding. My helmet touched a bit and was scratched, so it will be replaced too. I got up and walked the bike off the highway and waited forever and a year for the tow truck to come.

It fell on the left, and has the usual damage. Nothing wrong with the frame or engine, but cosmetics and fork scraping. Estimates for repair are $4400 with tax. Insurance covers. Lots of little things, and I tell you, I am so glad I had the Givi side bags because my feet and legs were protected by the bags taking the weight of the bike.

I was truly fine. A bit of a sore neck. Now, no signs of it happening.

One story I want to tell is that while on the side of the freeway I had two motorcyclists stop to check on me. One of them, man, this guy was like an angel. He stopped, checked me out, checked my bike out, made sure I was good, lightened my spirits and then flew away on his ride. Just made my night, that guy.

So yes, I have learned to be MIGHTY careful about road edges. Didn't teach that in my MSF course!

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Glad you're OK. Was it an edge trap? I.e. was the lane higher then the shoulder? Those things can be brutal and sneaky too. Glad to hear you had your gear on too.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Is that what it's called? Yes, the lane was a serious 2" higher than the shoulder, and a sharp, clean edge of concrete. A 90 degree edge. I was doomed. I've driven by since and if I had pulled onto the shoulder anywhere else within a mile, I would have been fine. Such is life.

The suit had torn shoulders and torn up elbows, but the padding and Cordura did their job. I would have been in the hospital if I hadn't been wearing the right gear.

2009 Versys 16K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Well you're OK then other than damaged pride, but you'll repair that yourself!
As for the 'bike....WOW....that's a lot of money, & I'm amazed they didn't just write it off (dunno the value of your bike BTW) & I hope you don't get stuffed too much on your next insurance payment!

I had several "offs" when I was still living in England (off's over here have just been on Dirt bikes, which is what you do on them, I think!?!?!) the best/worst/funniest on reflection was when a motorbike was my only means of transport, & one cold sub zero January morning I was togged up like a Michelin man I rolled my old Honda CB500T out of the shed (no garage!)
to find that the previous days' snow which had turned to slush during the day had frozen solid so that you could even see the frozen tyre tracks & the 6 inch deep grooves they had formed.....Anyway, an hour later (usually 20mins) I got to work & as I entered the factory gates congratulated myself on only slipping off 3 times, & only taking off the nearside indicators (they used to stick out on chrome stalks), when suddenly I slipped again in the car park & took out the indicators & mirror on the other side!!!...I was pretty bulletproof back then though & anyway, it gave me a story to tell that evening when I went for a couple of beers down at my local (pub) with my friends!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

All the best stories are the ones we survive! The estimate is indeed high. Evidently it is below the threshold for totaling the bike though. Part of that includes accessories which are covered on a different part of my policy. And yes, I am nervous about my next insurance premium!

2009 Versys 16K

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Glad you're ok and your gear paid for itself.
$4400 is alot to not total it.
A friend of mine wrecked my motorcycle when I lived in CA many years ago. It was $100 away from being totaled. The only cosmetic thing that wasn't damaged at all was the seat. I told the insurance adjuster I thought there was a small rip in the seat that he didn't notice, if he were to turn his back for a second, I would show it to him when he turned back around. He wouldn't go for it. I got the bike back all new but it never rode the same again. Ironically, someone ripped my seat while parked at a mall about two weeks after I got it back.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

The estimate looks high because it includes accessories, bags and such, that are covered under an accessories policy. And the parts prices are a bit high but whatever. The priciest thing is one new fork tube. Both cowlings need replacing. The tow truck strapped it down hard and I think broke one of the cowlings in the process. Shift lever and that whole assembly broke off. New handlebars and hand guards and such.

No scratches or real forces on the frame or engine. So I don't have much concern about the structural health of the bike, but yeah, hope it rides better than ever when they are done!

2009 Versys 16K

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:40 PM

Like everyone else glad you are OK, the bike will be fixed just takes money YOU on the other hand have to grow new skin and bones! I can say I have never seen a "Edge Trap" but have heard of them. I'll keep a close eye now on the road edge.

Glad your insurance co is taking care of you and not be hard about it. Save all the Givi parts you can as you never know if you might need them or know someone who does.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Glad your ok as others have said and hope you get back on your horse soon.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 PM

That sucks. Glad you're ok! Here's to gear! ATGATT...

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 PM
MTS

Wow glad you are ok! That sounds like a brutal edge!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear about your spill. I recommend you get a copy of "street strategies" by David Hough. It is like a daily devotional of hazards we encounter and how to deal with them. The first time you heard about that hazard should not have been when you encountered it.

I also recommend reading "proficient motorcycling" by David Hough. Great read for all riders.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the well wishes from you all. I'm an avid sailor here in the Pacific too and this community strikes me as similarly close knit and supportive.

I have indeed read and recommend Proficient Motorcycling. And yet I believe it is an example of the 10,000 time rule. In fact, Hough documents that accidents are highest for newbies like me, decline, THEN peak again after two years (because people get complacent) and then drop sharply and stay low.

There is no substitute for experience!

2009 Versys 16K

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
Is that what it's called? Yes, the lane was a serious 2" higher than the shoulder, and a sharp, clean edge of concrete. A 90 degree edge. I was doomed. I've driven by since and if I had pulled onto the shoulder anywhere else within a mile, I would have been fine. Such is life....
IF you can - try to make your approach at as close to 90 degrees as you can when there's a lip.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
I appreciate the well wishes from you all. I'm an avid sailor here in the Pacific too and this community strikes me as similarly close knit and supportive.

I have indeed read and recommend Proficient Motorcycling. And yet I believe it is an example of the 10,000 time rule. In fact, Hough documents that accidents are highest for newbies like me, decline, THEN peak again after two years (because people get complacent) and then drop sharply and stay low.

There is no substitute for experience!
True, but experience is enhanced by studying. The "street strategies" will help you recognize potential hazards so you don't have to learn about them first hand. I learned about the hazard of crossing railroad tracks at an angle from reading so I never had to learn that one from experience.

The things I learned from experience are; don't lean a bike over when crossing the grease slick behind the Burger King, don't lean the bike over when on wet leaves, and don't give a girl a ride on the beach when she tried to convince you she is a jinx.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

True and well said.

2009 Versys 16K

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Finally getting bike back

This has been among the most agonizing waits of my entire life. Every day I have not had my bike has cost me time and money, not to mention happiness. I ride a ferry here in Seattle, and so not having my bike means I drive, and driving means I don't catch ferries.

The final bike repairs were about $3,500 and then new Givi bags and my suit and such were another grand or so. A silver lining is that the new Givi side cases will come with the matching green trim for the bike.

My Christmas this year happens tomorrow!

2009 Versys 16K

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 AM

Garage
Merry Christmas!

Luck favors the prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode