Time for replacing the rear Distanzia - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Time for replacing the rear Distanzia

I hit 10,000 on the Vee today, with 4,000 of those miles riding on the rear Distanzia. It's slick now and I'll definitely have to replace it this week. I'm probably going to pick up the tire mounting thingie from Harbor Freight first - what I can save by ordering the tires online and mounting them myself will easily pay for the tires in short order. Have any of you tried that one?
The front Distanzia has 5000 miles on it and is still looking great. That's a heck of a lot better than the stock front tire - it was slick at 5,000.
Pic of the stock front tire:

That has to be the biggest negative to motorcycle ownership - tire life sucks! I'm debating on going with the Tourance this time around. I realize that I can't get the exact replacement size, but it's close enough and I've heard some pretty good reports on its wear life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 PM

I just hit 6k on my rear and I think I can trust it for another 500 miles or so. I won't replace it with another. Maybe the Tourance, I have gotten up to 9k on a set of those on a BMW. But I think I will just go for more road and put a sticky tire on. For the dry fire service roads I ride, I really don't need the enduro style. Plus, I found these tires really loud, did you?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:28 PM

Looks like you get your money worth...

I always replace tire when it hit the wear indicator, whether the side or the middle. That's just me, I rather safe than crashing...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Usually earlier

That wear was the result of one long, hard ride on rough dirt and heavy gravel roads. Some of the roads that I like to ride really eat up a set of tires in a hurry. I believe that I could wear out a new set of the stockers on a single weekend of riding on some of our gravel roads - the stockers are OK on pavement, but totally unsuited for riding hard on dirt and gravel roads. My second set was the Conti Attack - they didn't last much longer, but I liked the way they rode. The Distanzia held up pretty good, and the front still has thousands of miles of riding left on it. I'll decide in the next day or two whether to stick with the Distanzia (the noise doesn't bother me, but they are loud when riding on smooth pavement) or to switch over to the Tourance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 AM

Hi VeeWNC,

on your choice.
IMO, trial and error is the only true way to find what suits your riding style.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM

I am using the Tourance on the rear in place of the Distanzia. Even though it is not the factory size, I am very happy with the handling and performance. Don't know about the mileage, as I just put it on, but those who have used the Tourance are reporting some really good mileage figures.

I wouldn't let the change in size bother you, it doesn't make any undesirable changes that I can tell, the bike still cuts corners like a knife. The Tourance is about 3/4 inch taller than stock, and just a little narrower, but you can't really tell by looking that there is any difference from stock.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 PM

Hey VeeWNC,

Did you use the softer 160 or the harder 150 size? The Distanzia's look great, but I am a bit concerned about wear. I guess reading your posts, they lasted longer than the stockers.

Thanks.

Paul
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Went with the Tourance 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Hey VeeWNC,

Did you use the softer 160 or the harder 150 size? The Distanzia's look great, but I am a bit concerned about wear. I guess reading your posts, they lasted longer than the stockers.

Thanks.

Paul
My buddy Al uses the 150 Tourance on his Weestrom and is getting really good mileage out of it. We have similar riding styles so I figure that I might get a few more miles out of it than I did the Distanzia. What I'm looking for is something that will hold up to a 7,000 or 8,000 mile trip.
I can tell a difference in the handling with the Tourance. Not better or worse, but different in some way. It seems to oversteer just a bit, but it could be my imagination. I haven't had a chance yet to put them through the paces - doing a lot of mountain biking instead - but I'll try to put a couple of hundred miles on them this weekend. I loved the Distanzia so far as the traction and handling went, but 4,000 miles just isn't enough between replacements. Still though, it was a lot better than what I got with the stock tire and the Conti Attack that I followed it with.
The Distanzia on the front is holding up really well. I have over 6,000 on it and it still has lots of life left.
Oh, the Distanzia was the 160 - do the 150s have a harder compound?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Pic of the Tourance on the rear

I've put a few hundred miles on the Tourance now and I may like it better than the Distanzia. It sticks like glue to the paved twisties and seems to track better than the Distanzia on dirt roads. The big difference is in how it handles loose gravel - it does a lot less 'hunting' and gives me a lot of confidence when I'm pushing the pace.

There is definitely a difference in the feel when carving a turn. It's hard to describe, but it is there. Not worse, and maybe even better. Anybody out there made a similar change, going from Distanzia to Tourance or vice versa?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 PM

you should try the "Heidenau 150/70" works great on rough dirt and heavy gravel roads. They are not loud when riding on smooth pavement and the grip is good. I have riden across iceland and are happy with them
kv gollun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2745-1.JPG (39.0 KB, 169 views)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Gonna have to give 'em a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUN View Post
you should try the "Heidenau 150/70" works great on rough dirt and heavy gravel roads. They are not loud when riding on smooth pavement and the grip is good. I have riden across iceland and are happy with them
kv gollun
Wow! That's a great looking tire. Have you put enough miles on them yet to have an idea of how well they wear?
I googled the tires and found that they're available in the States, so I may try a set when the current set wears out. That should be before the end of the season. I checked out some comments about them on the ADV site and most of the impressions were pretty positive.
Thanks for posting the tip!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463611

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 AM

i only have 1000 km but i have seen one after 3000 km and they looked the same.
gollun
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM

My Distanzia SM's have done 2200 miles. Front down from 6mm to 5mm. Rear down from 9mm to 5mm. In center of tyre. Mainly fast tarseal but some heavy rocky trails.
I love the feel of them on the road and I am going to Morocco on a new set in October so they will get well tested on dirt roads but not real desert.
Ted.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Riding on BT016 front and BT021 rear. (100% road user)
Read it over in the GSX forum and Loving it...
Also, put in Ride-On and it's working good. Thank you, Atgatt.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Okay, I ride a lot of dirt and gravel so after having the bike for 2 days, I'm shopping for tires.

Most intriguing thing I've seen so far is the Heidenau K60. Who sells these and do they have sizes for front and rear?

On that subject...what sizes work anyway?

HFG aka Randy

There comes a time in every man's life when he has to get up off the couch and kill some zombies.
Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy.

'08 Versys
'06 KLR650
'07 KLX250s
'04 KLX125L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode