Uncomfortable Seat... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Uncomfortable Seat...

Alright, V'sters here it is. I am 6'1", 220lbs and find the bike fits me great. However, I find the stock seat uncomfortable after about an hour of continuous riding. Now can some of yall give me some ideas on seats and/or modification. I really don't want to go down the Corbin Custom Seat route just because of the cost and may not solve my problem. What else is there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 PM

Like I told you on Saturday, I had a Corbin and sold it because it was just too hard. Mccrappiekiller will second that for me I think. Others have said that it breaks in after a while but I had one on my ST1300 for over a year before I sold the bike and it NEVER broke in. I'm back to the stock seat now and I'm not that uncomforable but I'm not as big as you.

For my two cents I'd go with a Russell Day Long if I wanted to spend more money like I did on the Corbin. I'm afraid there is no "cheap" way to a better seat.

Here's a link you might find interesting.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...long-seat.html

Here's a link to the Russell site.

http://www.day-long.com/

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 07-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:04 PM

Im 6'2, 180lbs and I too find the stock seat a bit of a pain in the you know what. I found that adding a sheep skin pad really helps. I have taking my Versys from Dallas to Santa Fe and all over Arkansas as well. Before adding the sheep skin i would have never put my butt to that kind of test. This fix is a whole cheaper than going the new seat route. Try it out.

Alaska Sheep Skin... is where i got mine.......

Good luck.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM

Uncomfortable Truth...

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...--Rally/Detail

Bam!
Silver small rally special on sale this week only (unless it's still on sale next week) for $20,97!

Kind of tempted to get this for my pillion actually.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Ive never used one but others sware by airhawk, air cusion that you put on your current seat.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:57 PM

I got the Alaska sheepskin, and it helps you go a tad longer, but I really don't feel it's the answer. It does help however. I really think you have to get used to the pain somewhat and get your ass conditioned to take it for long periods of time. Maybe the Corbin will be the answer, dunno, but I think your ass will hurt with one of those after a period of time too. I think with pretty much any bike you'll have seat problems, it's just to what degree. I'll be taking my second long trip in September using the Alaska sheepskin. I did ride 500 miles in 2 days recently with a trip to Michigan, and the sheepskin did seem to help deal with the seat. I took some breaks which help.

The Airhawk, I think you'll either hate it or love it. It's pricey, and you need to make sure you have the right amount of air in it for it to work successfully.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:13 PM

I have tried the low gel seat and found it less comfortable. I have tried the Alaska Leather Sheepskin and found it more comfortable EXCEPT it greatly increased the nutcrushing forward slide. I have put in a couple of washers to raise the nose but my boys were constantly riding on the tank with the pad on. I took off the sheepskin and am living with the stock discomfort. My next try on comfort will be sending the seat to Spencer in Florida for some custom work. It is a LOT cheaper than a Russel, Corbin, or Kawasaki seat.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM

There was some discussion about Mean City Cycles in NC on this site a while back. I called them and it sounds like they have a huge amount of experience modifying seats of all designs. They have several reasonably priced options.

I was going to sell my Corbin and get a stock seat modded until I found out that they can not put a receiver in to accept a passenger backrest. I like that feature of the Corbin, so I've stuck with it.

If I were in your boat I would give serious consideration to getting the stocker modified. If you don't want to have your bike idle for that long, you could always pick up a stock seat here or on Ebay and get that one modded. Once you're sure you like it, then sell your stocker. Just a thought.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM

I maybe forced to get the Corbin probably over the winter as it's the only option with a backrest unless I get a middle bag with a pad on it. The wife is wanting a backrest when we ride. She feels safer with one.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Easy to fix the stocker

A lot of us have done our own modifications to the stock seat, with excellent results. I used a few layers of ensolite sleeping bag pad, with about 3 inches of memory foam over that. It's easy to pop up the staples in the stock seat and then to replace the lousy foam that Kawasaki used. I used industrial strength velcro to re-attach the cover, with just a few staples to help secure it. I can comfortably knock out 500 mile+ days now and the fix cost less than $15.

You can see in the photo that the seat height was raised by about an inch or so, but I'm 6'5", so that's not a problem for me. It's like riding on air.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 AM

The problem I had with the stock seat was the forward slope. I removed the cover and cut my foam until it was level. This means taking it down almost two inches at the rear edge of the front portion.

I also cut into the rear portion so I could sit a little further back. The standard position was too far forward for my hand/foot position.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanS View Post
Alright, V'sters here it is. I am 6'1", 220lbs and find the bike fits me great. However, I find the stock seat uncomfortable after about an hour of continuous riding. Now can some of yall give me some ideas on seats and/or modification. I really don't want to go down the Corbin Custom Seat route just because of the cost and may not solve my problem. What else is there?

Look around on the forum, there are a lot of mods that people have done to the seat. I have a Corbin and like it a lot better. It is pretty hard, but does break in after a couple of months. It is wider and flatter, but the gell isn't very thick. There are also some good DIY guides:

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/modify.htm
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Seats.html (at the bottom of the page)

From what I understand you want to use firm foam, not soft. Apparently soft will cut off the circulation in your butt...aka...stock Versys seat. I guess gel would be even better if you could find some that you could cut.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 07-27-2009 at 09:09 AM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 PM

6 1 230 here. I'm decent for about 45 min as well. Its not horrible but it could be better. I'm thinking a small gel pad kind of like what I have on my bicycle would work great. It just needs to be right where the bottom of our pelvic bone hits the seat.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM

I'm 6'2, 240. Do yourself a favor and pickup a pair of Speedy's peg lowering blocks, his mirror extenders kick ass too. They make the Versys MUCH more comfortable. Even the seat feels better, no kidding. I'm good for an hour, hour and a half before I need to start standing up or stop for a while.

Luke
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 PM

I'm just back from tooling around for the past week on my V, and am ready to try something. Anyone out there have the Mean City Cycles mod done and have an opinion to offer? I'm definitely keen on something that costs less than $150 as opposed to a new custom seat.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM

My next route is going to get a sheepskin (alaskaleather). I picked up one of those air pillows (like the ones mentioned here on the forum from REI), expect i only paid $9 for mine at The Academy. Just letting my wallet cool off before i buy the sheepskin. Those Givi's knocked me back a little.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Ya, but your Givi's look awesome....
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 AM

Spencerized

I had Spencer modify both the Sergent seat on my ST1300 and my Versys seat. It was an improvement on both of them. He also changed the Versys seat to add a little more shape to the front next to the gas tank. This allowed you to sit a little further back.

For those who might be a little inseam challenged, he can also lower it at the same time. This is much cheaper than the Kawasaki gel seat. I had the long distance upgrade added to both seats.

www.greatdaytoride.com

David
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Anyone try one of these? http://www.thepropad.com/c-10-polymer-inserts.aspx

Looks like a reasonably priced option if you can do it yourself, but I would be inclined to add some firmer (something like neoprene) below this pad.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 PM

I too had Spencer do a mod to my seat and it was much better right away. Now a few month later and many more miles on it, it just keeps getting better.

I am 6'3" and 205 and needed something. I added the lower foot pegs and the seat mod and now I am enjoying my Versys a lot. I'm not apprehensive about taking hour long rides any more. I can still feel like I've been sitting an hour, but there is no pain like before. And, it's much less expensive that other solutions. Try Spencer, you'll not be disappionted and he turns the job around in 24 hours most times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode