added 3 small low $ items--3 big improvements - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
added 3 small low $ items--3 big improvements

well. I never would have believed how much more comfortable I am on this bike from dropping the footpegs 1.3 inches. it seems to have dropped the position of my legs where they rest against the tank(fairing or whatever) about 4 or 5 inches now they rest on the black plastic trim below and feels much better. mirror extenders made a another big improvrment. I can actually see behind me now instead of looking at myself. ram gps handlebar mount worked out great as well. and I can also mount it on the windshield gps bracket if I want to try something different. I said I was going to quit buying so much stuff for this bike. but its not working out that way. next on the list is a better seat and a set of pr3 Michelins. --unless I hear about a better tire. I don't care about how long they last or the price. I just want the tire that is most likely to save my a$$ if I come into a curve too fast or other errors in judgement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kawasaki 015.jpg (57.4 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by dspark52; 12-02-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 AM

Good info. Already have the mirror extenders but I am wondering which peg lowering system you used.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redden68 View Post
Good info. Already have the mirror extenders but I am wondering which peg lowering system you used.
they are the lowering blocks from motowerks---speedys I think they are around $47. I bought mine used. there are several other items im going to order from them soon------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kawasaki-- 001.jpg (64.0 KB, 208 views)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 AM

+1 on the peg lowerers and the mirror extenders.

I read somewhere that Michelin will come out with a PR4 tire very soon. I've heard from some guys that the PR2 wears better than the PR3.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
well. I never would have believed how much more comfortable I am on this bike from dropping the footpegs one inch. it seems to have dropped the position of my legs where they rest against the tank(fairing or whatever) about 4 or 5 inches now they rest on the black plastic trim below and feels much better. mirror extenders made a another big improvrment. I can actually see behind me now instead of looking at myself. ram gps handlebar mount worked out great as well. and I can also mount it on the windshield gps bracket if I want to try something different. I said I was going to quit buying so much stuff for this bike. but its not working out that way. next on the list is a better seat and a set of pr3 Michelins. --unless I hear about a better tire. I don't care about how long they last or the price. I just want the tire that is most likely to save my a$$ if I come into a curve too fast or other errors in judgement.
Going with a Corbin seat brought my knees back rest on the plastic trim with the stock setup. It moves you back ~1.5" on the bike, and also it seems a little higher as well. I didn't want to sacrifice any ground clearance with lowering the pegs. +1 on all the other ideas though! I don't have any vibration with the RAM mount until after 80mph. You should get more than enough life out of the PR3s. I've had them on the bike for the past 18,000 miles. The first front tire lasted around 13,000 miles. I'm not sure on the rears as I've had to keep juggling them out for nail punctures. They all still have more than a few thousand left on them though. I think it must have to do with the light weight of the bike, and relatively low power. I certainly don't baby it though. They're excellent in the rain and cost me about $300 a set from my local dealer. I think they're worth it.
(To give you and idea of the positioning of the Corbin.)

Last edited by unioncityman; 12-02-2013 at 10:00 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM

i have the same kit and it does work perfectly for a 6 foot tall guy. especially if you are going long trips.

Too bad i bought my set of mirror wideners from twisted throttle for like 80$ i did not do proper research and did not know that motorwerk's has same thing for half the price.

ONE MORE THING... Big tip to all Versys owners... Buy the vibration reducing handlebar riser, it will kill vibrations for 60% then ad grip puppy's that will eliminate another 20% and fill the bar with tiny metal beans and you will have no vibrations with stock handlebar, i did that on my 08, and now on my 2012. it works for both. my friend did that to his 09. result is almost guaranteed

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.Russian View Post
i have the same kit and it does work perfectly for a 6 foot tall guy. especially if you are going long trips.

Too bad i bought my set of mirror wideners from twisted throttle for like 80$ i did not do proper research and did not know that motorwerk's has same thing for half the price.

ONE MORE THING... Big tip to all Versys owners... Buy the vibration reducing handlebar riser, it will kill vibrations for 60% then ad grip puppy's that will eliminate another 20% and fill the bar with tiny metal beans and you will have no vibrations with stock handlebar, i did that on my 08, and now on my 2012. it works for both. my friend did that to his 09. result is almost guaranteed
yeah, that was a ? I was wondering about. whether to spring for xtra $78 to get the vib. reducing riser instead of the standard one at motowerk. ---I think my mirror ex. came from t.t.----I got em used---for some reason, a lot of my vibration went away when I installed the crashbars and skidplate. don't really understand why------
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncityman View Post
Going with a Corbin seat brought my knees back rest on the plastic trim with the stock setup. It moves you back ~1.5" on the bike, and also it seems a little higher as well. I didn't want to sacrifice any ground clearance with lowering the pegs. +1 on all the other ideas though! I don't have any vibration with the RAM mount until after 80mph. You should get more than enough life out of the PR3s. I've had them on the bike for the past 18,000 miles. The first front tire lasted around 13,000 miles. I'm not sure on the rears as I've had to keep juggling them out for nail punctures. They all still have more than a few thousand left on them though. I think it must have to do with the light weight of the bike, and relatively low power. I certainly don't baby it though. They're excellent in the rain and cost me about $300 a set from my local dealer. I think they're worth it.
(To give you and idea of the positioning of the Corbin.)
wow,that yellow looks good! ---I have an xtra seat I may send off to tn or ca. are you satisfied with the corbin? I held the pr2 and pr3 side by side last week and the pr3 had a softer and more sticky feel to it which I liked.---
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
yeah, that was a ? I was wondering about. whether to spring for xtra $78 to get the vib. reducing riser instead of the standard one at motowerk. ---I think my mirror ex. came from t.t.----I got em used---for some reason, a lot of my vibration went away when I installed the crashbars and skidplate. don't really understand why------
It is worth it for sure, and i also have sw motech skid plate and crash guards, i think vibes reduced due to the added weight and it kinda works like the handle bar bar-end weights. same effect. As per result, my 2012 has no vibes at speeds below 100 mph. As for me, i never do more than 85

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Thanks! It's "Corvette Yellow" from NAPA. I like the seating position of the Corbin better, being further back and higher up. I think it looks really sharp as well. It take a LONG time to get broken in though. (Like a couple thousand miles long). I'm half convinced it just changed the shape of my ass to match it. I picked it up used on Craigslist for $200 so I don't know if that had anything to do with the breaking in. I wouldn't buy a brand new one. They're like $450 I think and at that price I wouldn't have been pleased at all. On long days (over 300 miles) I use a gel bicycle seat cover on top of the Corbin. With that setup, comfort isn't an issue. Basically I would say if you can find a used Corbin for what I paid, give it a try. For the price of a new one though, I would just spend a little more and go with a Russel custom. (Did about 500 miles on one on a friends VStrom 650, and didn't have any discomfort at all).
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 AM

I have an anti-vibe from Speedy that I could part with if anybody wants to give it a try. It's been sitting under the work bench for the past year. I'll post it up in Classifieds. I bought after I modified the seat higher and farther back. It worked on the vibes but to me it imparted a slightly "squidgy" feel to the steering. I went back to stock and only miss the risers on longer trips and straighter roads. Amazing how small tweaks can really improve the bike can make a big difference in comfort, and something that works for one might not neccesarily work for others.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM

I never got to try pr2s. I'm pretty sure they're discontinued. The dealers I checked with in Tampa Bay couldn't get them and steered me towards the pr3. I figure they're newer, more research = better tire. Here's looking at you pr4 haha!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I have an anti-vibe from Speedy that I could part with if anybody wants to give it a try. It's been sitting under the work bench for the past year. I'll post it up in Classifieds. I bought after I modified the seat higher and farther back. It worked on the vibes but to me it imparted a slightly "squidgy" feel to the steering. I went back to stock and only miss the risers on longer trips and straighter roads. Amazing how small tweaks can really improve the bike can make a big difference in comfort, and something that works for one might not neccesarily work for others.
I am interested in in the riser you mentioned. can you let me know how much you want for it?-----ill send you a pm
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
mr dspark52 here is your chance to save

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 AM

Just curious. What do you guys do with the foot controls when you lower your foot position? I had my peg position lowered with a cheap set of EBay pegs. I took them off because they are incredibly uncomfortable to the foot (narrow) and one of them started to bend. I liked the leg position though. I'm satisfied with the adjustment on the shifter side; the threaded adjustment has more than enough play. What do you guys do on the break side? I noticed a break adjustment nut @ Motorwerk. You guys using this?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 AM

You don't need to buy anything to adjust the height of the brake pedal. You just need to unbolt the brake pivot mount, rotate it slightly, and re mount it. Repeat until you get it where you like it. Done. If you are not mechanically inclined, ask a mechanic or your dealer for help.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Just curious. What do you guys do with the foot controls when you lower your foot position? I had my peg position lowered with a cheap set of EBay pegs. I took them off because they are incredibly uncomfortable to the foot (narrow) and one of them started to bend. I liked the leg position though. I'm satisfied with the adjustment on the shifter side; the threaded adjustment has more than enough play. What do you guys do on the break side? I noticed a break adjustment nut @ Motorwerk. You guys using this?
heres a link to the instructions from motowerk --they sell a lowering block that works great, https://www.motowerk.com/uploads/Kaw...structions.pdf for the most part, these inst. are pretty good, they do tell you to turn the brake light switch to adjust it,after you do the main adjustment,. I don't think that would work. I turned the threaded collar that's attached to the switch. I didn't buy the piece they sell to give you more adjustment, I may include it in my next order though in case I need more adj. later on.

Last edited by dspark52; 12-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
You don't need to buy anything to adjust the height of the brake pedal. You just need to unbolt the brake pivot mount, rotate it slightly, and re mount it. Repeat until you get it where you like it. Done. If you are not mechanically inclined, ask a mechanic or your dealer for help.
I am mechanically inclined and will do it myself. I have no idea what you mean by pivot mount. A pivot mount like the splined shaft on the shifter side? I have seen the plate that dspark52 has given in the installation instructions. That is probably what you mean. I have seen that. But, rotating it then remounting it??? You got me. The question I have is it looks like there is less than 1/4" adjustment on the main shaft on the master cylinder. But, I guess a 1/4" here would translate to maybe an inch at the end of the brake lever. So tall guys with a more (Flexed Knee) riding position, would most likely need the extra little bit of adjustment that the Motorwerk adjustment nut provides... Right?

I have just ordered a set with the nut, just in case.

Last edited by jmarleau; 12-05-2013 at 01:53 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I am mechanically inclined and will do it myself. I have no idea what you mean by pivot mount. A pivot mount like the splined shaft on the shifter side? I have seen the plate that dspark52 has given in the installation instructions. That is probably what you mean. I have seen that. But, rotating it then remounting it??? You got me. The question I have is it looks like there is less than 1/4" adjustment on the main shaft on the master cylinder. But, I guess a 1/4" here would translate to maybe an inch at the end of the brake lever. So tall guys with a more (Flexed Knee) riding position, would most likely need the extra little bit of adjustment that the Motorwerk adjustment nut provides... Right?

I have just ordered a set with the nut, just in case.
Try it first. I always found the brake pedal to be too low to begin with. When I added the lowering peg, it was in the correct spot for me.

I've bought the lowering pegs and handlebar riser (original, not the non-vibe) one from Speedy, and they are two of the best things I've bought for the bike. Much more comfortable. I came from a string of dual sport bikes (last one was a KLR), so I really wanted more room. Knew that when I bought it, but the power of the engine during the test ride was too powerful to resist. Had to have it.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode