Contimotion SPORTS TOURING0 BUY NOW OR LATER - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Contimotion SPORTS TOURING0 BUY NOW OR LATER

Hi all,

Just want to get opinions about the Contimotion tires... I am debating whether to buy them now or later because I am not sure if it's a good idea to store them in the basement (no heat) until I install them in the spring. Does cold weather adversely affect the tires in any way at all? However, leatherup.com has a 12% discount, free shipping, no tax and comes to $154.26. I've bought stuff from them so I am confident that they are a reputable, so far reliable online store. (has anyone else purchased from these gusy?)

I got everything else that I need for the tire changes, except for the tires and the balancing beads so...

Should I or shouldn't I? Hmmmmm...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
More than likely they are being stored in a cold warehouse somewhere right now. Just buy them with the discount and don't give it a second thought. My bike spends the winter out side under a cover tires on the ground...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Is that price for a set?

I have found good prices at jake Wilson, compacc.com, motorcycle superstore, among others. Depends on the tire who works out to be cheaper.

I've run rear contimotions on the Versys and now on the Concours. Prefer the tread pattern of the Shinko Raven but the contimotions do the job. I got both while on road trips and they were under $100 from the dealer so couldn't complain.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:08 PM

I just bought a set of ravens from motosport.com for $164 shipped to my door....will put them on in the spring and they r sitting in my basement

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=twowheeladdict;479929]Is that price for a set?

I have found good prices at jake Wilson, compacc.com, motorcycle superstore, among others. Depends on the tire who works out to be cheaper.

True..I've always got the best price from Jake Wilson. Then when we were getting tires for the GF's son we called Riders Discount which is a forum sponsor. They matched the price and gave a forum discount so we got the tires even cheaper than Jake Wilson with free shipping and the tires showed up at the front door the next day before noon...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Hi all,

Just want to get opinions about the Contimotion tires...I got everything else that I need for the tire changes, except for the tires and the balancing beads so...Should I or shouldn't I? Hmmmmm...

Thanks!
Go for it! I usually get a set of tires before I need them so that they're there when needed, and I've used several sets of ContiMotions till I went to Tourance rubber, and liked them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM

What mileage are you guys getting out of the contimotions?

Hooligan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
What mileage are you guys getting out of the contimotions?
Rear ContiMotion gave me 10,600 miles coming from a RoadSmart, while front gave me 12,200 coming from a Shinko 005, BOTH ends going to Metzler Tourance, which SO FAR (here in AZ) are WAY-Y-Y beyond those figures....

I plan to change out the rear Tourance on Friday, at 14,200+ miles!!! The front one...? In another year or two....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM

I've used them once. They're a so-so tire that leans to the hard side. In the wet (which we get a lot of ) they were very slick and the back would kick out without warning. Not a horrible tire but there are way better options out there for just a little more money.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Rear ContiMotion gave me 10,600 miles coming from a RoadSmart, while front gave me 12,200 coming from a Shinko 005, BOTH ends going to Metzler Tourance, which SO FAR (here in AZ) are WAY-Y-Y beyond those figures....

I plan to change out the rear Tourance on Friday, at 14,200+ miles!!! The front one...? In another year or two....
Oh my, that's a lot of miles! Curious what you think of those various tires as they compare to each other. Never really considered Tourances before. What sizes do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
I got everything else that I need for the tire changes, except for the tires and the balancing beads so...
Why use beads? Balancing with steel weights is easy.

It's not a need, but angled valve stems are nice: http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=673

As far as buy now vs later, why not later? It's not that the tires won't keep (though if tires last you several years, age becomes a factor), it's the time value of your money. If you're not gonna install them now, there will likely be other sales, closeouts etc. later when you are ready to use them. If you really think you need this bargain, and want this tire more than you want your money over the Winter, go ahead.

Last edited by davidg; 12-07-2013 at 01:48 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Oh my, that's a lot of miles! Curious what you think of those various tires as they compare to each other. Never really considered Tourances before. What sizes do you use?
BOTH are rear Tourances - 130/80 on front, 150/70 on rear. Comparing...? I don't try to "drag a knee", but I ride in ALL weather, and don't really think about my tires. You can get a LOT of lean on, on Tourances.

Quote:
Why use beads? ....
EASY to apply, plus they keep the wheel balanced as the tire wears.

Quote:
It's not a need, but angled valve stems are nice....
My experience w/ angled RUBBER valve stems was BAD - flat at the side of the road due leakage around where the rubber comes thru the hole in the rim. IF you want angled, suggest you get the proper mag-wheel ones that are metal and screw together thru the hole, using rubber 'gaskets'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF you want angled, suggest you get the proper mag-wheel ones that are metal and screw together thru the hole, using rubber 'gaskets'.
I have the angled metal one in my link on my Versys. Much easier to check tire pressure than with the straight ones that come on the bike.

I hadn't heard of using angled rubber stems on a bike before, but now that you mention it, it does seem like a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode