Versysfarklefest.com - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versysfarklefest.com

Initially this site was developed for a website development class (Dreamweaver) and we were to upload to the web space reserved for all students to be graded. However the cap on size was 10 mb which didn't work for me as i have many images and videos. So to get an A on the project, I got it hosted on Godaddy.com. Would love to hear constructive comments on site and the possibility of going further with this idea. At this point it was an example for a class and a resource for the many of us that are addicted to Farkling.
For the future...who knows.
http://www.versysfarklefest.com

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:05 PM

I like it! It seems as though the front page is a bit text-heavy, but I don't know what you are looking for. Something such as a "Featured Farkle" might be nice.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Yeah cool idea, i'll work on it, thanx for the input

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 PM

looks interesting

a comment I'd make is your thumbnail images are to big, on an Adaptive Adsl it took 15..30 seconds to download, each thumbnail is big.. the arrow can is 818kb.... I'd expect an image of that size to be around 3..5kb, by all means have a high res image behind that, say clickable by the user.

you seem to have got the idea on the gallery site....
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I like your setup, with the "tabs" across the top. It makes things easy to navigate. However, the carbon fiber looking background with the red makes my eyes hurt.

On the 'Contact Info' page, you have 'My Story'. I think if you added a picture or two it would enhance it nicely, & have the text wrap around, or edge/border the pics. Nice touch, though.

On your 'My Bike' page, it would be nice if we could click the thumbnail pics & have them open to bigger pics, like in your gallery. I really like the way you added the manufacturer links under each farkle! I also like the personal stories, like "The rest of the story began..." on this page, it makes me wanna do business with you & gives it a 'mom & pop' feel as opposed to a typical internet business, cold with no personal connection. Two thumbs up.

A couple of your pic's in the galley don't open.

Overall, it looks good!

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM

Well, for starters, your home link, if you are going to put it in a horizontal nav across the top, should be the first item in the nav.

Second, your carbon fiber background has to be modified to be seamless. On a larger resolution monitor and longer pages you are having major issues.

Third, don't put the text directly on the CF backdrop. Makes it too hard to read. I would insert the text into a centered DIV inside the body area with a white background.

I could keep going. But I also do this for a living.

Not bad for an early effort. I also assume you haven't dealt too much with JavaScript yet, correct?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
Well, for starters, your home link, if you are going to put it in a horizontal nav across the top, should be the first item in the nav.

Second, your carbon fiber background has to be modified to be seamless. On a larger resolution monitor and longer pages you are having major issues.

Third, don't put the text directly on the CF backdrop. Makes it too hard to read. I would insert the text into a centered DIV inside the body area with a white background.

I could keep going. But I also do this for a living.

Not bad for an early effort. I also assume you haven't dealt too much with JavaScript yet, correct?
You would be correct, just a beginner from a Dreamweaver class. I totally appreciate the input.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:04 PM

The massive thumbnail sizes are a definite problem.
Not only does it reduce responsiveness to users, but as a telecom worker I think I'll encourage you to continue developing sites like this as the bandwidth used will pay for my next bike.

The CF background with text overlay is difficult to read, even on a large monitor like mine.
I would change that and maybe create an image as a title bar background to put above your Home, Mission, Contact, etc links.

Honestly, this may sound a little neckbeardy, but you should check out open source software project homepages if you want to see some well-designed readable navigable sites.
They aren't interested in cramming in as much advertising as possible or getting the most clicks by spreading information over several pages, and they usually have very talented designers on the payroll.

see http://ubuntu.com http://gimp.org http://python.org http://sourceforge.net http://opensolaris.org for examples.

I'm not a big web guy but I have done development in the past. Make sure you're learning the technology and not the tool. Once you've done something you like in Dreamweaver, try a different development suite.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 PM

This may be nitpicky, but check your spelling. "Insaninty", "Consulation" rather than consultation, other grammar mistakes throughout. Sorry to be the grammar police, just a bad habit of my own.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 PM

It's a great idea, I like seeing things gathered in one place, I'd suggest that you present Frakles that you don't have on the bike but are available. The things already mentioned are a good starting point for some improvement, maybe this CF background pic will help you a bit.

Also, I'm guessing that you uploaded the images on their original size and just set the display width and height. This site should not, in any way, be larger that 10 mb. I'd suggest that you resize your pictures to the desired size and reupload them.

If you need any more advice, feel free to ask, I'd be happy to help.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 PM

Another web guy checking in. Make sure you set border=0 on every single image that is wrapped in an <a> tag. You could also use CSS to do it, but I don't think you're there yet Those blue borders are very 90s
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
The massive thumbnail sizes are a definite problem.
Not only does it reduce responsiveness to users, but as a telecom worker I think I'll encourage you to continue developing sites like this as the bandwidth used will pay for my next bike.

The CF background with text overlay is difficult to read, even on a large monitor like mine.
I would change that and maybe create an image as a title bar background to put above your Home, Mission, Contact, etc links.

Honestly, this may sound a little neckbeardy, but you should check out open source software project homepages if you want to see some well-designed readable navigable sites.
They aren't interested in cramming in as much advertising as possible or getting the most clicks by spreading information over several pages, and they usually have very talented designers on the payroll.

see http://ubuntu.com http://gimp.org http://python.org http://sourceforge.net http://opensolaris.org for examples.

I'm not a big web guy but I have done development in the past. Make sure you're learning the technology and not the tool. Once you've done something you like in Dreamweaver, try a different development suite.
After I truly learned to write the code, I realized how bad the code Dreamweaver writes is. There is a lot of added bulk, that frankly, just doesn't need to be there. Personally, I use Dreamweaver, but hand code everything.

Also, for those who don't want to pay, Microsoft has some Visual Developer Express software that is free. It actually is almost as powerful as Dreamweaver, and if you are a .net programmer, even better than Dreamweaver.

And yes, never allow the web browser to scale images for you. You should resize all images to the proper size, or have a script off your server that does this automagically.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Being a former Creative Director at a couple of ad agency in Texas I must say it looks pretty good. A couple of suggestion here; make the background darker so it's easier to read the white type. Making it darker will make it less busy. Also, on the tab My Bike you should think about having the links open up in a new tab.
I learned how to hand code back in 91' with BB Editor and used a 4800 baud modem.
Keep up the good work.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Life is one big learning curve. I so appreciate all the feedback form everyone and plan on applying it first thing next week. Much better mechanic than a web developer, that's for sure!

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Stoned,
Looks good bro, I did my own website for my vacation rental (link is near my sig), Its pretty basic and raw but it serves its purpose for myself and my clients. As long as you dig it, and it gets your point across who cares. You arnt selling anything, you are just expressing your passion for your bike. When I did my site I didnt even take a class I just used MS Frontpage and used tutorials. I work for Intel Corporation and got alot of tips from friends, and access to online tutorials.

RedRiguez

Life is short, Live every day like its your last....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiguez View Post
Stoned,
Looks good bro, I did my own website for my vacation rental (link is near my sig), Its pretty basic and raw but it serves its purpose for myself and my clients. As long as you dig it, and it gets your point across who cares. You arnt selling anything, you are just expressing your passion for your bike. When I did my site I didnt even take a class I just used MS Frontpage and used tutorials. I work for Intel Corporation and got alot of tips from friends, and access to online tutorials.
Thanks for the encouragement. I just updated a few minor things on it. The resizing of thumbnails and a few other suggestions will be fixed soon.
Your site looks pretty nice also. Looks like a nice resort.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Slowly but surely I've done a few modifications to the site as suggested by the folks on the forums. Added a PowerBronze hugger that I got at http://www.superbikestore.com. I realized while looking at their site that they were located in Ann Arbor (where I live). Went over there to just look. Had my hands on a "Carbon look" hugger and commented on how fake carbon was lame and I wanted a flat black one (which he didn't have in stock). As I made my way to the door he offered it for $100 (reg price is $149). I snagged it up and stopped on the way home for some Krylon satin black paint. I'm getting used to it, so far. I guess it's better than no hugger at all. Check it out on the site.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 AM

Love your pics on the site StonedGP, and the painted hugger looks great. I plan to paint mine the same when it arrives (fake carbon IS lame)!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, the hugger looks really good!!

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Yep, the hugger looks really good!!
Thanks, couldn't go with the fake carbon fiber. Thinkin' about painting the rest of the black body parts with the satin black.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode