Kawasaki Unveils Supercharged Engine - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Kawasaki Unveils Supercharged Engine

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne..._/R-EPI-142406

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering when they would get around to this. glad to hear it might be coming. I bought a supercharged seadoo in 03.(1500cc 4 stroke) but it was too much of a gas hog and not that much faster than non s.c. version. but on a motorcycle I would think it would be a whole different ballgame. should be interesting if/when it happens. what do you think about it? -----
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
I was wondering when they would get around to this. glad to hear it might be coming. I bought a supercharged seadoo in 03.(1500cc 4 stroke) but it was too much of a gas hog and not that much faster than non s.c. version. but on a motorcycle I would think it would be a whole different ballgame. should be interesting if/when it happens. what do you think about it? -----

If i were younger and still as crazy as i was. I would be all over it. But its seems the older i get, the closer death is. So i seem to slow things down now.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Banned

Exclamation

I won't be in the queue for a supercharged 'bike either Joe!!

It's nothing new though, seems the 1st one was made in 1920........

Talking to the proprietor at a motor museum in France recently he showed me the engine of a motorbike which carried a compressor/supercharger. It was a one-off built and raced in 1920, with a reported speed of 240kph in a straight line. It was 4 cylinders, vertical in line, and seemed to be built into a low height chassis, or the rider was tall. The make was Ragot, as in Casimir Ragot Special, see other relevant thread, built by a Bordeaux based engineer, Monsieur Ragot, ten years before his racing car. Only the engine remains, less compressor, and I have photos of it now and a photo of a photo of the bike and rider in period.

Also, this is interesting:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...turbo%2081.htm Yes, a turbo not a supercharger, but it's still interesting, & just proves that this kind of stuff usually dies a death...............
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If i were younger and still as crazy as i was. I would be all over it. But its seems the older i get, the closer death is. So i seem to slow things down now.
I'm w/ Joseph on this...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I got to ride the Yamaha supercharged 1800cc jetski. and it was way faster than my seadoo. the guy that owned it said he could burn 20 gal. of gas in less than 2 hours if he pushed it hard. right now I have a Honda jetski and I can just about go all summer on one tank of gas. its nothing short of amazing how good it is on gas. its the non turbo 2 seater.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oh no, no, no. Not for me either. It would most likely be my free pass to an ICU or the cemetery. Not part of my grand plan, such as it is.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM

Seems that could make for a really powerful, and light, bike without having to up the ante to the 1400 cc mark. I can't say I'd be in the market for one though. While I like the V's power, I just recently got to the point where I'm looking for horsies while trying to pass somebody at around 60. I'm thinking the Ninja 1000 will be plenty for me. No Versys 1k here in Tejas
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Maybe supercharge a 400? Give me a small frame, light bike, with power of a 750! I'm in. The 1,000 cc and up bikes are already "too much" for this 50+ year old guy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Force induction will raise the air temp going to the block, so intercoolers are needed which will add to weight. Pistons will also need to be of the low compression type unless the charged pressure is low.

I remembered a Kawasaki 750 turbo in the '70s. Didn't last though
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 07:28 PM

I would totally agree with weljo2001, I would do the same. But I guess as we go older our priority is safety and comfort.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
Force induction will raise the air temp going to the block, so intercoolers are needed which will add to weight. Pistons will also need to be of the low compression type unless the charged pressure is low.

I remembered a Kawasaki 750 turbo in the '70s. Didn't last though
Honda had the CX650 Turbo, Suzuki had the XN85 and Yamaha had the Seca 650 Turbo as well. Obviously they ALL thought there might be something there, and gave it a go, but to no avail. The only semi modern Supercharged bike I can think of off the top of my head is the Ducati Supermono.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode