BARON650 said; "If I had to replace my V . . . - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BARON650 said; "If I had to replace my V . . .

tomorrow, this (CB500) would be on the short list to try out". WHAT SAY YOU AND WHY? Saying 'another V' may be true (and easy) but try and put a little thought in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

Wink

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

hello also from 916

Something along these lines

to eventually replace my SV1000s daily driver.

I prefer liter class plus sport touring bikes

bought the V on a whim and it was a great buy at the time.

DOH!

Last edited by Seeya; 11-19-2013 at 10:44 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 PM

...a car. The only way I'd replace my V would be if I just couldn't ride anymore. There are no other bikes that have the combination of compromises that fit MY needs like the 650 Versys. Bikes that get better MPG don't have the power, bikes with more power don't get the MPG, bikes with better handling cost more, bikes that are more comfortable aren't as sporty, bikes that are sportier aren't as comfortable, etc.,etc.,etc.. When in the market for my V, the V Strom was on my list but when sitting on it, it just felt to big and ungainly, besides, I really don't need the 5% more "dirt worthiness" the V Strom offers.

I know the V isn't the perfect bike, it's just the perfect bike for what I want it for.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 AM

if i am going to replace the v650, I'll replace it with a v1k.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would only replace the V with a shaft drive adventure touring bike. Hydraulic valves should be a big plus as well.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
bikes with more power don't get the MPG
I don't know, my cbr1krr gets about the same mpg as the V when used for commuting and there's simply no comparison power-wise. That said, the V seems to get about the same mileage regardless of how I ride it. I can take the cbr1krr down to 20mpg if I try hard enough.

I did have the different cb500 models on my list, leaning towards the adv styled one. Also the nc700x was on there, higher up the list than the cb500. I wouldn't mind something like the V but with better mpg. However, it would take a big improvement in mpg to make up for the deal I got on the V. I was specifically wanting something as a commuter to alternate with my cbr1krr, the cbr1krr being fussy sometimes about starting when it's cold (it uses the same battery as some 100cc scooters, believe it or not) and to have something a little more capable of taking on forest roads (don't need an actual off road capable bike as I have a kx250 for that).
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM

I'm already planning to replace my '09 V with a '14 V.

A DL-1000 would be on the short list too. I wouldn't kick a water-cooled GS out of bed for eating crackers, but I wouldn't spend my own money on one, or at least not on a new one.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Something with a bit more forward lean. I've discovered that the Versys is just a bit too upright for me; considering playing with bars and pegs to fix this. The CBR500R is tempting if it fits; better mpg and aero for the continually windy northern plains. Still can't get the Street Triple R out of my head. If the cost weren't quite so high, I'd love a Sprint ST/GT; be willing to take the mileage hit (which may not even be 5mpg depending upon whom you believe) for something fully faired that the wife would be more comfortable on. 990 SMT if I'm feeling extra impulsive, and there's a part of me that kind of wants a Monster.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM

Street Triple R/Fz-09 with some wind protection or new DL-1000.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:08 AM

The KTM 1190 Adventure is pretty sexy. Costs a small fortune - I guess that's why I ride a V...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Imaginary new Versys 650 or 1000 models with more than new paint options would definately be on the list. Among existing ones, maybe F700GS, Crossrunner X, some comfortable Yamaha with some offroad capabilities or the new V-strom 1000 with another wind shield to help reduce the cartoon road runner appearence.

Haven't tried any of them, but would start trying these. Comfortable sporty tourer, good at twisty roads, some offroad capabilities but not enduro, reliable, fuel efficient, good brakes/suspension/traction, doesn't destroy the wallet and as high fun factor as possible given the prevoius attributes.

Last edited by hjortronet; 11-20-2013 at 01:49 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM

replaced my 650 with the V1000. It's the only other bike that I saw or sat on that interested me. If they hadn't come out with it I know I would still have the 650, it was and is a great bike.

2013 Versys1000
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM

Garage
Currently the new 1k V-strom

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 PM

I'd go for a Triumph Street Triple R or maybe a Tiger 800 roadie. New Yamaha FZ-09 has some real first year teething issues, see latest Moto Consumer News (US mag) for their take on it.

Gotta say though, the Versys is a fun, reliable ride.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Wow - pretty consistent, most love this bike! I'm going to weigh in pretty much the same. It would be hard for me to replace my V but if I had to I would go with a Versys 1000. I love the look and configuration of this machine, the 650, adventure style is a great alter ego to my C14 but I wouldn't be disappointed to have one with more horsies. Choice #2 would be a Ducati Multistrada.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
This will be my next bike but still keeping my Versys but I am biased towards the Ninja, maybe by this time next year if I can convince the wife to upgrade from the 2011 Ninja,
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Already did. Triumph Tiger Explorer. Comfort, convenience, and power, and power, and power. Yes its twice the price too. However, when the ride calls for 300+ mile days theres just no comparison. I do miss how nimble the V is. As soon as I get out of turn and straighten the bike I just go into warp speed and everything is just fine again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
...However, when the ride calls for 300+ mile days theres just no comparison....
I'll agree - WHEN 300+ mile days are on the agenda I'm HAPPILY twisting the throttle on either my '08 or '09 Versys!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
...a car. The only way I'd replace my V would be if I just couldn't ride anymore. There are no other bikes that have the combination of compromises that fit MY needs like the 650 Versys. Bikes that get better MPG don't have the power, bikes with more power don't get the MPG, bikes with better handling cost more, bikes that are more comfortable aren't as sporty, bikes that are sportier aren't as comfortable, etc.,etc.,etc.. When in the market for my V, the V Strom was on my list but when sitting on it, it just felt to big and ungainly, besides, I really don't need the 5% more "dirt worthiness" the V Strom offers.

I know the V isn't the perfect bike, it's just the perfect bike for what I want it for.
+1

I had my eye on the new Yamaha 850 - but Motorcycle Consumer News just did a test on it, and they gave it a mixed review. They did like it better than the Ducati that they compared it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode