Kawasaki Saddlebag Availability? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kawasaki Saddlebag Availability?

Don't know if this is the best place to post, but does anyone know of a dealer that actually has the Kawasaki (not Givi's own) hard saddlebags and mounts in stock? Evidently Kawasaki is behind shipping out. I really would like to hit to road on my first long trip soon with hard cases.

There seems to be a scarcity of many Versys accessories. A good sign, perhaps..?
d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 PM

I've had my dealer calling in almost every week since I bought my Versys (May 5th). Kawi won't get them off backorder until mid-July. We all have to wait.

My throttle/hand guards are also on backorder at twistedthrottle.com until at least the end of June.

So yeah, much of the accessories, both OEM and aftermarket, seem to be slow in catching up to the sales of the bike.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:46 AM

none to be had here in Ontario, Canada either. My dealer checked all variations and colors on the PLX V35 cases. Problem is, they are the same cases used on many other bikes. My friend in Chicago has an F800St and was told that the end of June could be a possibility.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM

I bought my V the last week of April. My bags came in 2 weeks later and the mounts came 2 weeks after that. I got it at Max Pitts in Peru, IN.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I bought my V the last week of April. My bags came in 2 weeks later and the mounts came 2 weeks after that. I got it at Max Pitts in Peru, IN.
Lucky you. I'm missing out on some good riding because I don't have luggage. I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get a top box. They told me they have the racks but no side bags.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 PM

I got a trunk for my bike pretty quick.

The problem is getting the bracket. I tried Kawasaki first and it was put on backorder, then tried Givi and it will ship on 6-17-08.

2013 Vulcan Classic LT but may be going back in the fold..
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:15 AM

I talked to my dealer yesterday and they told me they had the PLX side racks but no top rack, so getting a top box through them was not going to happen.

I called Twisted Throttle and they have everything I need - I could get it next week. But, that means I'll be doing an end-run around the local dealer and I'm trying to forge a positive relationship with this place. They've also treated me pretty well.

The problem the dealer has is that they only have one supplier and that supplier has dried up on product. I've got to look into other options temporary until my gear shows up.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Your plan of establishing a good relationship with the dealer will pay off in the long run. If the dealer is, in fact GOOD, they will understand if you explain to them why you are having to shop outside their shop for this item.

If their source of supply has dried-up, they should be looking at alternative sources for serving your needs... They are there to serve you, not vice versa! Why not go in and explain the situation?

"Living the Dream... One Day at a Time"
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 11:21 AM

Since I started riding two years ago - that is something that I learned. You are married to your local dealer. Yes, you can do a lot of work yourself but there may be a time that you need the dealer's help. I try to foster good relations with them.

I went down yesterday and explained to them that I have some trips coming up and I'm getting nervous about having the gear I need before I leave. They seemed to have their hands tied and made a suggestion I take the KLR luggage they had on hand. No, thanks.

I'm going to get a dry bag and a spider web bungee and hope that will get me by until the luggage arrives.

dsmack - thanks for the help and the suggestions.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmack View Post
Your plan of establishing a good relationship with the dealer will pay off in the long run. If the dealer is, in fact GOOD, they will understand if you explain to them why you are having to shop outside their shop for this item.
That is the operative word, GOOD, isn't it? I have been fortunate to deal with some very good bike shops in the past. I gave them my money to keep them in business. The nearest Kawasaki dealer, though, seems to fall short on every count.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

I forgot, but I read on the UK Versys forum that the hard saddlebag trim pieces in the U.S. are black, not red as previously indicated from Kawasaki. Has anyone gotten the trim pieces yet? Are they red?
TIA
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 AM

Trim pieces came black. When I paint my hugger I'm going to paint the trim pieces red too.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM

Saddlebags

How does the hard saddlebags affect the passenger. The wife doesn't ride with me very often, but still likes to make short trips. I don't want to add somthing that makes it uncomfrontable. I've notice on some bikes with hard saddlebags the front of the bags are so close to the passenger pegs that it makes it uncomfortable. Also, 2nd tank of fuel went 222mi used 4.4gals = 50.47mpg. I like this bike.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 AM

My trim pieces came in gloss black - but my dealer ordered the Givi setup and not the Kawasaki setup. I know they are the same but Kawasaki offers the color matched trim. I ordered my top box through Twisted Thottle - I got the matte black because for $35.00 more you can get the third brake light. It was $65.00 more for the gloss black. I plan to have all three trim pieces re-painted to the Candy Plasma Blue this winter.

On the passenger issue - I don't know. My S.O. hasn't ridden with the bags yet. Only got the lovely spouse to ride just once. It looks like there is plenty of room for the rear footpegs but I think getting on and off the bike is going to be more difficult.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 AM

I'm waiting for a passenger brave enough to learn with me...
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:59 AM

V riders,

as mentioned earlier, i hve the givi V35 side boxes n the E350N top box. the side boxes come in quite close to the passenger foot pegs n this makes mounting the bike a rather "thread carefully" kinda affair especially with heavy biker boots. you cannot mount on securely with the left foot at right angle to the peg, but rather step on in the same direction of the peg and then turn the foot round when seated. makes it a little tricky when wet. and with the top box, the passenger cannot swing his/her legs over but squeeze between the rider n top box. if its big papa or mama mounting the bike, just gotta be very careful with the weight distribution to avoid a tip over, especially if the rider is on tip toes. then when underway, not much room for passenger to move her legs backwards. but she likes it tat way because the side n top boxes kind of cocoons her n makes her feel snug, without fear of falling off.

rgds

Last edited by myred; 06-25-2008 at 03:04 AM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:41 AM

Does the bike "feel" any different with the hard bags on? I've never had a bike with hard bags, also wondered about getting on, and off with them.

'15 DL1000
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
Does the bike "feel" any different with the hard bags on? I've never had a bike with hard bags, also wondered about getting on, and off with them.

The bike doesn't feel any different with the hard bags. Getting on and off is a bit trickier. I kept smacking the right bag with my foot on dismount. I have long legs - makes this manuever easy. Riders with shorter inseams step up on the left foot peg and swing the leg around.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
I'm waiting for a passenger brave enough to learn with me...
Riding with a passenger is a whole different ball-game. Your bike is going to feel really weird when you first do this. If you want to practice - try and find a motorcycle buddy. You need someone that can work with you - not against you.

The best advice I can give is - get the communication down pat first. Be prepared when your passenger mounts the bike and take it easy when learning.

Some good resources out there on riding with a passenger. Read and learn first and then give it a try.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Ocean any problems in the wind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode