? for Inseam Challenged V Owners: Can I love a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
? for Inseam Challenged V Owners: Can I love a Versys?

Almost pulled the trigger today on a new '09 Versys. I love the bike but I have a 30/31" inseam and had a few MINOR concerns. Throwing my leg up over the seat takes a little effort, but as I mounted it more it did seem to get better; at least I could do it on one try but my leg still drug across the seat. Once I got on though, it was quite comfortable to sit on. While my feet would not go completely flat on the ground, I could get the front half of each foot down and felt pretty stable at rest on the bike and could comfortably move it around the limited area without much effort. But right now it was just SO much easier getting on/off the 650 Ninja next to it.

I understand that there are lower seats available for it but, with getting back into biking after a 27+ year absence, I have the additional costs of all the other gear (helmet, gloves, protective wear etc.) plus the crash bars, lock 'n stuff, that I cannot afford this additional expense right now.

What I am asking you vertically challenged Versys owners is "Are you able to comfortably adapt to the little bit taller seat and have confidence that you aren't gonna fall over at some point?" (Yeah, stupid question, I know. But, what the Hey.) I feel pretty confident I could deal with it on a daily basis but, I have not had to do it so far. So I want to ask the 'experts' on the matter. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 PM

I've got the same inseam. With the GEL seat, I can almost flatfoot the bike at a traffic light. With stock seat, I was on tip toes.

I do sometimes drag my foot on the seat, but as I get lighter (down 80lbs in 2009!!!!) it is much easier.

Did you take a look at the ER-6N? It is a more straight up ride as compared to the Ninja.

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 PM

And definitely get those engine bars on anything you buy

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM

I have a 29" inseam and put speedys lower kit on it and love this bike. Came from the ninja 650 and a cruiser and a long list of bikes over 40 yrs. Versys is the best yet. I also drug my foot on the seat so now i stand on the footpeg with my left foot and then throw my right foot over. Problem solved. Dismount the same way. Must be from my horse days. For my rideing the Versys handles the best and i get around 50 mpg and have tons of power for solo 50 mile rides or more. I do have speedys flatfoot on the kickstand so it doesn't sink in any. Works for me.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I have a 29" inseam and put speedys lower kit on it and love this bike. Came from the ninja 650 and a cruiser and a long list of bikes over 40 yrs. Versys is the best yet. I also drug my foot on the seat so now i stand on the footpeg with my left foot and then throw my right foot over. Problem solved. Dismount the same way. Must be from my horse days. For my rideing the Versys handles the best and i get around 50 mpg and have tons of power for solo 50 mile rides or more. I do have speedys flatfoot on the kickstand so it doesn't sink in any. Works for me.
I have a 28" inseam with Speedy's lowering kit and also mount and dismount using the pegs and I never even owned a horse!. It's a great all around bike.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 AM

I am 5'5" (or less) with a 29" (or less) inseam.
I was real worried about the seat height too, but eventually bought the bike anyway.
Since the low seat is expensive I thought I would ride the stocker a while. No problem. I don't know why I was so worried. Years of riding my Yam XT350 helped too.
When I come to a stop, I put one foot down. I always stop at the stop signs though because I don't want a low speed mishap. Also I like riding high and the seat to footpeg distance is unaltered. Love the bike.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 01:04 PM

I am 5'9" with 30" inseam. I have no problem riding Verysys or any taller and heavier bikes.

The trick is don't fear and not to put feet down until the bike is completely stop. Balance is the key word, when the bike is upright, it requires very little effort to balance. I tip toe on a lot of bikes and never have any problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:54 PM

My guess is that the weight of the rider is also important.

I have a 30" inseam. Getting on /off the bike is not a problem.

I can almost flatfoot the bike if I put my weight on the seat. However I need to tip toe to get my butt completely off the seat.

To answer your question:

It sill take a few days to adapt to the taller bike but be advised, the Versys is a light bike and it is fairly easy to manage on a stop.

The Ninja 650R looks like a nice bike. It might be worth a second look because in my area the 650R is cheaper than the V. I choose the V because of the driving position but I think that the 650R must work well on long rides as well.

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM

I too have a 29" inseam and love my Versys. I was riding the standard height bike until I replaced the back with a 160/70-17 and then got Speedy's lowering kit.

Maloy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Yes you can! I have a 30" inseam and had no real problems with the standard seat—other than it was ridiculously uncomfortable. Speedy's lowering kit plus lowering the forks made a big difference for me. I got the low gel seat mainly because it is a better seat. It does not effectively lower the rider very much owing to its width.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 PM

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses. I was about to look at a mint '09 V with about 3400 miles for $5500 when something else came to my attention; and this being my first bike after a very long layoff, I took a look. I came away with a black/red '06 650R Ninja in pristine condition with only 915 miles, and lots of extras. Included was a tank pad, Autocom Super Pro intercom system with MP3 and Bluetooth hookup, a Kenwood GMRS radio/charger, small magnetic tank bag, a battery charger, an HJC CL-SP helmet and a Power-Tripp mesh jacket. the jacket and helmet were both too small (women's sized), so they are Craigslist bound. The rest I'm gonna keep for now and play with.

Now here is what seems to me to be the good part-all this for $3500.00. At least I HOPE this was a good price. Re-entry into the motorcyle world at 54 is an unknown for me. I think I'll like it, but you never can tell. With this I'm in with a good bike for what I feel was a good price, but not a large investment if I no longer like it.

So, if you'll let me, I may still hang around here for awhile, gathering up info and asking questions. After all, the bikes are very similar in major components and other items.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode