Tourance - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tourance

Hi All

Just thought I'd share with you all an email I had sent out regarding the Metzler Tourance tire non-availability issue.

When I bought this bike, I guess I didn't research how limited the dual sport-ish tire choices were. I know its not a dirt bike, but it would be nice to have a mildly off road capable tire choice (80-20) for the odd gravel / rocky road. I believe for the type of riding I do, or want to do, this is the best tire in its class.
I also know that there is the option to fit a larger tourance on the front or run a Distanzia - F/Tourance - R combo, but wouldn't it be nice if the damn things just fit? The Distanzias do, but are a SM compound and don't have the milage of the Tourances.

Here is the letter I wrote to Metzler:

Hi There,

I was just wondering if the good folks at Metzler Manufacturing are ever planning on making the Tourance in the 120-70-17front and 160-60-17rear sizes we could purchase for the Kawasaki Versys?

I belong to a worldwide Versys forum and it is very evident that there would be a huge market for this model tire in these sizes. Tourances are known to be at the top of their class for this type of tire and, honestly, the choices for this size tire in the market are lacking.

I am planning to do a trip around the trans Labrador highway on this bike (1000 miles of dirt and 3000 miles of pavement) and as I look for ideal tires for any trip of this type, it seems the only option is the incorrect sized 150-70-17 tourance rear and Avon Dstanzia on the front.

Personally I would always buy Tourances without question as I had used them and was extremely hapy with them on my BMW GS. I also know many others would do so as well.

I believe not only Metzler, but all tire manufacturers are really missing out on this segment of consumers by not producing a tire of this type for this target market.

Sincerely
Greg
>

And their reply so far:

Hello
>
> Thanks for the e-mail and we will look at your request. Have a great weekend.
>
> US Metzeler Moto
> www.us.metzelermoto.com
> 877 202-4993

Don't know if this will go anywhere or if this reply is just lip service.
If anyone else is or has been interrested in these tires, probably wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email too. If these companies see the dollar signs from demand... I guess anything is possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Will be interested if the reply is different than what I got last year on the phone. I pointed out not only the V, but Uly and Tiger use the same size front. Response was that until the OEM's demand the tire in those sizes it would be a no go/\.

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode