Top Box? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Top Box?

I know top boxes have been discussed many times but here is my question.

I've been looking at the Pelican and Seahorse cases but I can't find a size I like. I keep looking for something around the size of the Trax 38 which is around 16x13x13. Everything I find seems to be short, maybe 8" tall at best.

Whatever I get is going to be going on a rack from Sam. I'll work out any necessary mounting for it so that really isn't important. Going to be working out a mating plate for a bow case too.

I did come across this case from Plano, but I would neeed to see how "stiff" it is, and it does seem a bit wide.
http://www.planomolding.com/product....ID=126&PID=877

I'd like to find something that I could build a bit of backrest into for the few times I coax my wife into getting on.

Thanks,

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM

If that's your only requirements, you're working way too hard.
Go to JC Whitney and oder one of these. It's 11" tall, comes with a mounting base, locks, has a backrest and is relatively inexpensive.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-...rid=c14523u0j3
I had one on my KLR, it wasn't the highest quality but it worked fine. It would hold a full face helmet and it stayed secure and dry.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I completely forgot about checking JC Whitney. I see they have a couple options.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/emgo-univer...61729y2009u0j3

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 04:25 PM

I use a Rubber Maid Action Packer. They use to sell them at Walmart but now they have a Chinese clone about the same size. The Action Packer is cheap, durable, fairly waterproof and lockable. I am using it on Sam's rack. When I get around to it I will figure out a way to mount my milk crate.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 04:50 PM

I'm running a Pelican Storm Case iM2450 Dry Box, 19.2x15.2x9in.
It meets my needs.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Large top box option

My top box may be a bit too large for you. Here it is anyway. It measures 22 wide, 16 deep and 12 tall. It swallows two full face helmets no problem with room for more gear. Weighs about 12lbs empty. Has a rubber seal and four latches. It isn't water proof "as is" when you buy it. (I put a bright light in it, closed it, and took it into a dark closet and had light showing through a depression in the seal near the handle) but with a little ingenuity, it can be made water tight. At 22" wide, its still narrower than the handle bars. I don't take a passenger most of the time, but it is tall enough that mounting a back rest to the hinge side looks like an easy adaptation. I ordered hinge stays and lock from Pelican, although they aren't in these pictures. I run with it empty. Just a big trunk to store gear in when I get off the bike. It's built from a resined plastic sililar to a pelican case. Its much better than half as good (4/5 as good?) as a pelican case for 1/3 the cost and 1/2 the weight. It is a case for a plasma cutting machine made by Thermal Dynamics. Paid right at $100.00 for it before the stays and lock. Fits my needs to a "T" . Also have a set of Pelican im2600 panniers from twisted throttle. Using the Motech attachment system. I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top box on Versys.jpg (31.1 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg TOP BOX WITH HELMETS.jpg (50.4 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg MOUNTED TOP BOX.jpg (63.0 KB, 947 views)
File Type: jpg top box with im2600 pelican cases.jpg (31.3 KB, 582 views)

Last edited by RRKVERSYS; 11-18-2013 at 12:20 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 PM

Don't want to hijack, but what's the rack made by Sam a couple people have mentioned in this thread?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
Don't want to hijack, but what's the rack made by Sam a couple people have mentioned in this thread?
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...uals+rear+rack

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:49 AM

His rack is the best I've seen for the Versys, fit is perfect and I had my rack in a couple of days.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
His rack is the best I've seen for the Versys, fit is perfect and I had my rack in a couple of days.
I bought a used steel one from another "inmate" here... TWO thumbs UP!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Holy Cow, Round Rock, that is a BIG box!
I carry a cable lock to attach the helmet and s'tich when I'm off the bike. I keep it in my bright yellow Seahorse case.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 PM

I love the cleat idea Baron. I think I'll incorporate that into my pelican cases. Yeah.... my top box is large. OK.. HUGE... but it only weighs 12lbs and I don't travel with it loaded. Its sole purpose is to stash gear I get off my V. Well, maybe a few groceries on the way home too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode