My brake curiosity - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My brake curiosity

This is year 3 on the V. Year one came and went without mechanical issue, once the buzz was taken care of.

Similarly, year two was largely uneventful, but for a significant pulse that appeared in the front brakes. On the British forum lots of folks are posting on warranty repairs for warped rotors. I am thinking this is my problem but I am out of warranty and new rotors are way more than I want to spend.

After some research on the web I find that the V's front brake are semi floating and someone somewhere suggested that the buttons get jammed with brake dust and transmit too much heat to the cooler core and the rotors can warp. So I get out the brake cleaner and clean everything up real nice. Brakes are fine for a short while then the pulse is back.

Rather than replace the rotors I just ride and live with the pulse. I don't brake as hard on the front and started to lay on the back a little more.

This year I have been riding since March, still using more rear than I used to and not really thinking too much about the pulse. This morning I am riding into work and I need to lay on the front pretty hard and for some reason I think, hey no pulse. What's up with that? Did the rotors straighten out?

Is the issue heat related, work them hard and they rebel?

Not really sure what the problem was, I just know they brakes are once again performing like they did in year one.

Last edited by toocanad; 07-16-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's good... Maybe the rotors recovered after lubing the buttons. How's the front tire?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tires are reasonably fresh. Replaced the stock with a sweet pair of Bridgestone BT016 about a month and a half back. Don't think the tires were the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode