what tire next? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
ggg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
what tire next?

From new the stock dunlops were removed at 1k no confidence in them and being my first road bike i needed a good grippy tire, so on went Scorpion syn'c with dreams of Adventure and some dirt, for a road tire they handled the dirt quite well but alass, its really not an dirt adventure bike and i got another dirt bike now, so i need some advice on my next tire choice from the wordly versys crew on my second tire choice.
I ride bity twistys all the time the tires are worn out on the right side and it 80% 2 -up with the misses, i don't push the bike at high speed but i still want to be able to cruise down good formed dirt roads with confidence mainly low speed 45mph /70kph max.
Any advice other than the syn'cs, they were a good tire but poor mileage so looking for another option with more life, good street grip and wont be a a dog on the dirt, 120/70..160/60

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 AM

Garage
I'm on my second set of Michelin PR3s. Excellent street tire for sport/touring. Great on wet roads too. I ride a fair number of dirt/gravel roads touring around the rural areas, no problems there.

I got 16,000 kms from the first set which still had a few thousand kms of life in them but I was heading out for a 6,000 km trip. I have over 9,000 kms on the current set of PR3s and they look nearly new.

my 2 cents.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 02:42 PM

There seems to be a big Michelin PR3 fan club on this site, so before the chorus starts, let me say that I'm happy with Dunlop Roadsmarts. They will give you good mileage and good wet grip on pavement, but they are street tires, so dirt use will be sub-optimal. Sounds like that's less of a concern for you now that you have another bike for the dirt.

I think a lot of people here have been turned off to Dunlop by the stock tires that came on the bike, but those are an old design. I think Roadsmarts are a good sport-touring choice and the Q2 has long been my favorite sport tire, so don't judge all Dunlops by the ones you got when you bought your Versys. I can't wait to try to the Q3 on my sportbike, having heard such great things about them from the people I know and trust who have tried them.

I've been known to put a new Q2 on the sportbike for a track day and remount the old front Q2 on the Versys, along with the Roadsmart rear, and get thousands more street miles out of it. I know, some sticklers say don't mix. But at the pace I ride the Versys, I don't worry about it much.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by motociclista; 11-16-2013 at 02:46 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
There seems to be a big Michelin PR3 fan club on this site, so before the chorus starts, let me say that I'm happy with Dunlop Roadsmarts.
They seem fine to me too, though I don't have that many miles on them. Honestly any modern tire I've had other than OEM Kawasaki tires (Sportmax and BT020) were pretty good. It wouldn't surprise me if non-OEM version of those were better.

From some of the forums, you'd think the PR3 was the only tire--other than the not-yet-available PR4. I'm sure they're very good. I'd be surprised if they're significantly better than other modern offerings. Motorrad ranked them behind the Z8 last year. And this year they put the Angel GT at the top. Another tester last year had the PR3 in front. I don't know if one tester is less biased than another or if their test better reflects my riding experience, or if I'd even notice a difference, other than how long they last.

I've had 5 Metzeler Z8s on the Versys with no complaints. Have one Angel GT on now--about half used up--with no complaints either, and about to put one the other end. I think I'm about to put a T30 on my other bike. If it's improved over their old BT023 I expect to like it a lot. We'll see.

If I thought the PR3 would give me a better experience, I'd choose that. And I'd certainly be more swayed by opinions from users who have also used the Pirelli Angel GT, Metzeler Z8, or Dunlop Roadsmart II.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Metzeler Tourance Next 160/60-17 is not available in North America.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 available in January 2014: http://www.michelin.com/corporate/m/...IN-PilotRoad-4

Last edited by invader; 11-16-2013 at 03:42 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
rlj

Michelin PR2's or 3. I'll never buy another type tire for any motorcycle other than Michelin's. JMO

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Michelin Pilot Road 4

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 PM

The new battalax T30 seems to be awesome. I haven't seen it yet for sale in many places though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murquiza View Post
The new battalax T30 seems to be awesome. I haven't seen it yet for sale in many places though.

Bridgestone Battlax T30 sport touring tire.

http://moto.bridgestone.co.uk/motorc...s/battlax/t30/
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murquiza View Post
My local tire shop has them:
http://www.santaclaracycle.com/brbat3012frs.html
http://www.santaclaracycle.com/brbat30sptor.html

Probably buying one there pretty soon.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
ggg

Thanks for advice so far
PR2 and 3's are unavailable over here so i cant get a matching set.

I have been offered
Bridgestone BT 023 at $360 a set
Dunlop road smarts at $410 a set
Angle GT at $480 a set.

Are the BT 023 are a good price thinking about these anyone used then and care to comment, happy to go road-smarts if they better.

Last edited by ggg; 11-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
Thanks for advice so far
PR2 and 3's are unavailable over here so i cant get a matching set.

I have been offered
Bridgestone BT 023 at $360 a set
Dunlop road smarts at $410 a set
Angle GT at $480 a set.

Are the BT 023 are a good price thinking about these anyone used then and care to comment, happy to go road-smarts if they better.
I mounted the BT023 after long research and are excellent tires. It might be me but I feel they grip a lot better and the bike leans easier in the curves. I can't talk about longevity yet but are designed to last longer than similar tiered.

I liked them south that I replaced the BT016 on my ZX10R with a set of bt023.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
ggg

thanks to all read upon some other reviews on hear about BT023 so they are my new tires
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Bt023s wear far too fast for my taste. I'll be picking up a set of PR2s for my Versys after these cobtiforces wear out. I have Road smart 2s on my SV650, they are not worth the extra money over PR2s in my opinion.

Hooligan
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Bt023s wear far too fast for my taste. I'll be picking up a set of PR2s for my Versys after these cobtiforces wear out. I have Road smart 2s on my SV650, they are not worth the extra money over PR2s in my opinion.
Would have got PR 2"s but no where in Australia could they source any 160/60, Michelin have some issues in supply over here ATM, its a bad joke.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 AM

How about Conti Sports Touring

I am going to change my tires soon and thinking of getting the Conti Sports Tourings. Any thoughts? Reviews in other sites are very favorable and reasonably priced ($103 rear and $74 front).

Anyone else like or have used these? Feedback, please... thanks!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 06:16 AM

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
I am going to change my tires soon and thinking of getting the Conti Sports Tourings. Any thoughts? Reviews in other sites are very favorable and reasonably priced ($103 rear and $74 front).

Anyone else like or have used these? Feedback, please... thanks!
I have used several sets of ContiMotion tires, and quite liked them! Inexpensive but GOOD.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 AM

Have a new set of the Bridgestone T30 tires on my Versys for about a month now. Can't speak for longevity but they are a huge improvement over the old Dunlops.
Cornering confidence is much higher. Happy with them so far.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:18 PM

I would someone to give the new "Tourance Next" a try. Supposed to be available in North America.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...nce-next-tires

Even in 150/70, if the 160/60 is not available.

Last edited by jmarleau; 07-23-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode