What would you do? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What would you do?

I have had my 2009 versys for a little while now and have put around 1k miles on it. It has about 5k miles now with the original tires. The tires have plenty of tread but are dried out in spots as they are almost 5 years old. I ride mostly pavement and a good bit of chip and tar roads. Should I keep them till the tread wears out more or put new rubber on? Recommendations are welcome. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1384548716328.jpg (24.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 1384548732195.jpg (27.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 1384548751142.jpg (27.6 KB, 129 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I would weigh the cost of the tire replacement against how lucky I felt + insurance deductibles & possible loss of body parts. The math is pretty simple to me.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 PM

I'd get new if those originals (most of us are less than impressed with them) are five years old even if they're low mileage. If you've already got doubts let that guide you....riding's potentially risky enough already.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:12 PM

New Michelin Pilot Road 3 will transform the bike so much that it will feel like a new and much better bike. They will also give you much more confidence in how the bike handles in a turn. Recommend you change as soon as possible.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The stock tires are garbage to begin with. Replace them..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

OK...consensus tells me I should replace. Anyone, have both the Michelin pr3 and scorpion trails? How do they compare? I probably only put 3-4000 miles per year so something that wears fast is not a big deal since they will probably be old enough to replace before they are worn out anyways

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 PM

Looks like there is still tread and no visible cuts in photos. If possible, could u please also post photos of the dried parts of the tires in this thread?

If worried goto kawasaki dealer workshop, its worth it, better safe than sorry. Maybe it is time for a bike service? Think its roughly every 6000km/~4000miles...exact numbers are in owners manual.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Those actually reminds me a little of my tires

Last edited by hjortronet; 11-15-2013 at 04:17 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjortronet View Post
Looks like there is still tread and no visible cuts in photos. If possible, could u please also post photos of the dried parts of the tires in this thread?

If worried goto kawasaki dealer workshop, its worth it, better safe than sorry. Maybe it is time for a bike service? Think its roughly every 6000km/~4000miles...exact numbers are in owners manual.

The only spots that are drying and cracking are in the depth of the tread next to the tread wall....if you zoom in on the pictures you should be able to see it. The part of the tire that contact the road have no cracks

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:57 PM

This tablet has a will of its own so its a bit difficult to zoom.
But let the professionals have a look at it in real life. Heard about dry cracks and then it should be replaced.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:03 PM

Replace them. When I got my EX-500, it had 5 year old tires that were drying out but had plenty of tread. I only had to lock up the rear once at speed to convince me it was better to just chuck em. They may look ok, but their grip is severely diminished when they harden up. I had to stomp on the rear brake to lock the new tires up at even a low speed.. the difference was night and day.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM

They look good to me. Wear 'em out.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 PM

If you ride the bike with some aggression I would replace them otherwise if you are a cruiser like me I would wear them out. Get your monies worth.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 PM

Those tires look fine. Run em!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:53 PM

motorbike tires ARE NOT at all like car tires

if you lose 1 of them, you are basically putting YOUR LIFE on the condition of that remaining tire

tires ARE CHEAP when compared to even 1 ambulance ride, let alone any treatment while on the truck, the emergency room, or an extended stay

****AND MOST IMPORTANT---->>>> IF YOU GOTTA ASK, well, you know!

go with the PR3s....they ARE A GREAT TIRE
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DA NXS View Post
OK...consensus tells me I should replace. Anyone, have both the Michelin pr3 and scorpion trails? How do they compare? I probably only put 3-4000 miles per year so something that wears fast is not a big deal since they will probably be old enough to replace before they are worn out anyways
Adventure tires or sport tires could easily wear out in the 3-4k miles. Sport touring tires not so much.

There are many very good sport touring tires on the market today. On my bikes I've got Dunlop Roadsmart, Metzeler Z8 and Pirelli Angel GT tires. All seem worlds better than the Versys OEM Dunlop Sportmax tires to me. Probably installing a Bridgetone T30 soon as well.

OTOH if you didn't mind the OEM tires, maybe you'd be happy with anything?

I'm sure the Michelin PR3s are very good tires, but it's not like they're magic, or the only offering. Michelin is giving us the PR4 next year. And other manufacturers have been updating their offerings as well.

Last edited by davidg; 11-15-2013 at 09:21 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 PM

Tire choice depend on where you ride. The scorpion trail where my choice. I was putting significant miles on dirt and gravel roads and the scorpions where a good compromise. They are good for 6 7k miles depending on how and whede you ride. I sold my 08 before I wore them off.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will probably replace them over the winter. I can get a front and rear pirelli scorpion trail set for $300 or Michelin pr3 for $310. I think the scorpion trail look much better on the bike but it all comes down to performance for me. Are the pr3 tires that much better?

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 09:42 AM

I like my pr3's a lot. haven't tried the scorpion trails.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DA NXS View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will probably replace them over the winter. I can get a front and rear pirelli scorpion trail set for $300 or Michelin pr3 for $310. I think the scorpion trail look much better on the bike but it all comes down to performance for me. Are the pr3 tires that much better?
Performance? If you were satisfied with the OEM tires, any decent tire will be better on the pavement. Gravel or dirt road performance will be better on the Scorpion. From user reviews, wet pavement will favor the PR3. I haven't used the Trails, but I'd hope their wet pavement performance was at least better than the OEM Dunlops. Can anyone compare that?

The main thing that kept me from trying an adventure tire on the Versys was the fact that I'd wear it out before it would see a dirt or gravel road. It sounds like you may not have that issue.

If dirt or gravel are on your agenda, why not try the Trail? If not, any good Sport Touring tire should be a good upgrade. And if it's really all about performance, you could go with a sport tire like the Michelin Pilot Power 3.

Whatever you choose, it should be an improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode