Honda cb500x - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Honda cb500x

Has any Versys owner also ridden one of these? How do the two bikes compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:04 AM

I didn't ride one but I sat on one in the dealership. Almost identical in shape/size. Honestly with no more weight savings, I cannot see choosing the 500 over the 650.

Kawi = 454 pounds
Honda = 430 pounds
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 AM
MTS

Never ridden one but how can they call it a 500? The dealers are starting to stretch this titling!

Maybe stretch this bike to a 475cc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarve Nick View Post
I rode one - the CB500F - and wrote it up:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=35610

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Kirk, are those dry or wet weights, please?

Eddie, nice write-up but the X is a bit different, I think.

Actually, I sat on an X in the Chiang Mai Honda dealership yesterday. I had a damn good look at it too. It's as cheap looking as it gets. Weedy forks, cheap shock and cheap swingarm.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Kirk, are those dry or wet weights, please?
Versys specs (does not specify)

CB500X specs (wet)

I forgot to mention when I said it felt almost identical. My Versys is lowered with speedy's kit.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
A buddy of mine tried to tell me that the new Honda 500s have hydraulic valves. I can't confirm that though on Honda's website. That would be a definite plus for low maintenance. The bane of logging the miles on my bikes is having to check the valve clearances. That is one reason it is hard to part with the cruiser style bike for touring. Over 40,000 miles on the Voyager and simple maintenance.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The all-new parallel twin engine designed specifically for the CB(R)500 series has a valve train system which uses a rocker arm and shims design. This requires a valve clearance check at the first service (600 miles), then at 16,000 miles as per the owners' manual.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...earance-shock/

Rockers are below the cam and over the valves, as on new sleeved-down CB400:

http://i.imgur.com/Wg0Z8kW.jpg

Last edited by invader; 11-16-2013 at 08:30 AM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:33 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Never ridden one but how can they call it a 500? The dealers are starting to stretch this titling!

Maybe stretch this bike to a 475cc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The all-new parallel twin engine designed specifically for the CB(R)500 series has a valve train system which uses a rocker arm and shims design. This requires a valve clearance check at the first service (600 miles), then at 16,000 miles as per the owners' manual.

Invader do you think they are pushing this calling it a 500cc? Don't you think a 475cc is more correct?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Invader do you think they are pushing this calling it a 500cc? Don't you think a 475cc is more correct?
He'll read up on it & get back to you...........................................
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I read a comparison where they preferred it to the Versys in the twisties and filtering through the city. Of course the Versys had the stock suspension and many of ours are upgraded--it seems to me Kawasaki doesn't do the best setup with their budget suspensions. If I were buying new now, the CB500X would be very high on my list.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
LOL... It's actually 471cc. I think they're close enough to market it as a nicely rounded CB500. Otherwise, I'd go with CB471.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM

If I was buying new and more concerned with over all cost and fuel economy I might prefer the CB to the Versys.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 02:05 PM

I also had a good look at the X model at the International Motorcycle Show at Indianapolis . I had a great deal of interest in seeing it because I like a good all around type of motorcycle. I was not at all impressed. It seemed to me not to be up to regular Honda fit and finish. Price would be the advantage over the Versys. To me the Versys is another level up in design as far as the type of suspension ,brakes, swing arm etc. .
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

I agree with shilohsam. Looks really cheap and nasty. Anyway, no Honda motorcycle is the fit and finish of what was typical in the 90s. I wish Suzuki had a plant in Thailand and they had developed the DR650. That would be my bike if so. Suzukis are the most reliable of them all.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks. Hydraulic valves would be the only thing that would sway me away from the Versys. The Versys is the best all around bike I have owned.

My '01 Voyager 1200 with I-4 engine had hydraulic valves. Don't understand why the bike makers only use them in V-twins now.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Hydraulic lifters work well in lower revving pushrod and overhead engines, particularly V twins.
However, they are heavier and larger, adding to engine height and valvetrain reciprocating weight, and are not as reliable as solid lifters. They also cannot be used in higher revving engines due to 'pump-up'.

Last edited by invader; 11-17-2013 at 03:17 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Banned

Exclamation

I think the price difference is the deciding factor, then usage, but that's just my point of view.

Honda CB500X
Starting at $5,999*

Kawasaki Versys.
Starting at $7,999
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
What invader said. Cruisers don't rev high, and they ALREADY weigh a "ton"...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hydraulic lifters work well in lower revving pushrod engines.
However, they are heavier and larger, adding to engine height and valvetrain reciprocating weight, and are not as reliable as solid lifters. They also cannot be used in higher revving engines due to 'pump-up'.
My crusiers are not pushrod. Neither is the Voyager. They are all overhead cams. The Voyager red lined at 7500 RPMs and never needed to run past 6000 RPMs when spirited riding.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode