There are bald tires, and there are BALD TIRES - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There are bald tires, and there are BALD TIRES

DON'T do this. I freaked myself out earlier today when I stopped at the dealer to get a quote on a rear tire, dragged my mechanic out to see what he thought and saw this.

That was the first time I saw it like that. For those of you wondering, that's the steel "cords" shining in the late afternoon sun. I left it there and had my wife come pick me up. I considered myself blessed/lucky to catch it when I did, rather than have a blow out at 70. They're putting a new front and rear on there. Lesson learned, I suppose. I've been hemming and hawing at putting a new rear on for a couple of months now. Apparently, once the harder center rubber goes away, the rubber under that is really soft, and rubs off really dang fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Riding with wires we call that. Never went that bald!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
Apparently, once the harder center rubber goes away, the rubber under that is really soft, and rubs off really dang fast.
See the dark rubber next to the cords? That stuff isn't durable against the road like the rubber in the tread. Also once you're down to that, what you have left feels paper thin. If you didn't feel yours after it was removed, next time you're at that shop, poke around the old tire pile and feel another one. Make sure it's a radial--bias ply tires don't feel paper thin when worn to the cords.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM

Garage
Plenty left ..... on the sides
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM

How often do you check your air pressure?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What mileage are you at, and what new tires are you getting? It'll be an impressive improvement.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Those are the stock Dunlops. I've got just over 5 thousand miles on the bike. Initially, I thought I could get more than the 5500 miles I put on my KLR650's rear tire, before I replaced the Vs...guess not. As you can tell, I don't do much canyon carving, this is my everyday driver and my commute to work is a long, straight shot. I wanted to put some Michelin Pilot Power 3s on it, but I am in school, working poor right now, so I let my mechanic put some Shinkos on there. Better than riding on metal
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Not many curves where you live are there?

I saw this rear tire at a hotel in Florida.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 AM

Glad you got that replaced! I made the mistake of going to WV with a rear that was close to needing replacement but that I thought was ok since I'd be doing a lot of riding mostly on curvy roads. Well between the weight of my gear, the distance and the downshifting up there my tire almost looked that bad when I was getting ready to leave on a Sunday morning with hundreds of miles to go.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 AM

Shinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
Those are the stock Dunlops. I've got just over 5 thousand miles on the bike. Initially, I thought I could get more than the 5500 miles I put on my KLR650's rear tire, before I replaced the Vs...guess not. As you can tell, I don't do much canyon carving, this is my everyday driver and my commute to work is a long, straight shot. I wanted to put some Michelin Pilot Power 3s on it, but I am in school, working poor right now, so I let my mechanic put some Shinkos on there. Better than riding on metal
I'm bettin those Shinkos will do you proud, relative to the stock "Dunloppers".
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Shinko 009 Raven, 011 Verge, 005 Advance, or 006 Podium?

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tires/a...2C17%2C18%2C19

You should also replace front OEM Dunlop ASAP before it lets you down... Front will now have much less grip than new rear Shinko. It already tends to wash out from understeer, especially with front OEM Dunlop.

Tires are cheaper than a horrific shunt.

Last edited by invader; 11-14-2013 at 01:07 PM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 AM

I was riding behind my brother once. I saw something shiny in his rear tire and I thought he had picked up something sharp so I signaled to pull over. What we saw was about one inch of steel cord showing through so we decided to end our trip and head the 150 miles back home. Within about 30 miles the single exposed cord went from one inch to four cords showing around the entire tire . Needless to say, we got off the fast roads onto back roads and cruised slow with white knuckles the rest of the way home. Got more than his money's worth out of that tire but could have been really expensive, suddenly.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Shinko 009 Raven, 005 Advance, or 006 Podium?
I didn't even ask. I'll find out today though. From what I read, just about anything beats out the Dunloppers
Quote:
You should also replace front OEM Dunlop ASAP before it lets you down
I had him replace both, he looked at the front one and mentioned that I probably only had a couple hundred left on it as well.
Quote:
Tires are cheaper than a horrific shunt.
True that.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM

What the heck are you driving on? I use my V as a daily commuter too and I have 6,000 miles on mine. The stock Dunloppers still look brand new, there is literally no visible wear on them. I keep telling my wife I need a new set of PR3's and she always responds by pointing at my tires and saying, "why.. those look brand new?".

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:01 PM

Square tyre. You need to find another route when you ride, get some more Value out of that tyre.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
What the heck are you driving on? I use my V as a daily commuter too and I have 6,000 miles on mine. The stock Dunloppers still look brand new, there is literally no visible wear on them. I keep telling my wife I need a new set of PR3's and she always responds by pointing at my tires and saying, "why.. those look brand new?".
+1 for that unusually heavy wear. That's only 8,000kms. I had 13,200 kms on my stock Dunlops when I replaced the rear for a nail puncture. Tire still had some life in it were it not for the FOD damage.

Always trust your cape.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 PM

I was thinking the same thing, I've got almost 9000 miles on my Dunlap and I'll need to replace it this winter, probably within 400-500 miles. I use mine prmarily as a commuter.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

The new tires are the Shinko 009s The bike handles WAY differently, the tires actually grip, so cornering and otherwise turning is sort of weird right now, a good weird though.

As for the heavy wear, I'm a heavy guy (about 280 lbs.) and am relatively heavy on the throttle, and engine brake a lot too, not excessively, or at stupidly high rpms, but I'm guessing that's why the major grindage on the rear tire. Pics to come of the new stuff...it's late.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 AM

the Dunlops are scary when the hard compound i the center goes. All of a sudden it just starts wearing out at an incredible rate. I tok off one morning on what i thought was a still a decent amount of tread, went through the twisties and by the time I had done 50 km on my old bike (ER6N) I suddnely felt the rear go. I stopped and found I was just about down to the wire.

Just changed my stocks for Michelin PR2s today. Unfortunately I found a small dent in my front rim. Tire guy says it isn't bad but still here's another repair coming

So am going to see after about another 20-30 km when the tires are sufficiently scrubbed. They definitely already feel very different to the stock.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Last edited by tropicalbikey; 11-16-2013 at 04:45 AM.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM

Clearly there are also bold riders.

Seriously, you shouldn't wait that long before switching, it's not safe and even illegal in some countries.

Last edited by hjortronet; 11-17-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode