Fair Price - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fair Price

I am going to a dealer to look at a V and I know that the one dealer has been using one as his demo. What would a fair price be for the demo?

I am like Rainman when it comes to negotiating I want to make a fair offer but not riped off or insult the dealer. Let's say it has between 2-4 k on the clock.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM

Well, I found one about 60 miles from my house in TN and they'll sell it for MSRP with no silly fees. I could have got a better price a few months ago, but the bikes seem to be sold out in my area.

With that mileage, I expect a price under $6000. Otherwise, I'd just pay more for one with no miles.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

That is my train of thought.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM

$6000 maximum?

I would take the position that, although the Versys (and most modern bikes) are fairly bulletproof, you do not know how well it was treated in the first 600 miles. Neither does the dealer. They can argue it was well-treated, but if it was a demo bike, it was ridden by prospective customers and likely was not ridden as carefully as you would have ridden it as your own. That is a negotiating point.

Also consider that the dealer prep/freight charge no longer applies, so if someone bought a new Versys for, say, $6700 out the door, take off $200-300.

I bought mine for $6050 (not including $250 prep/freight charge and tax/title) from a dealer that wanted simply to be rid of the bike. If they are willing to effectively negate any profit, I would guess that a demo should cost no more than that, probably less.

If it were me, I would pay a fair price but try to get some accessories into the deal (free screen, bags at cost and installed), free service, or possibly a free extended warranty. It is very easy for shops to absorb labor costs into a deal, so maybe free lifetime oil changes or a free set of tires and a battery would work. I know that some dealers are okay with making no profit on accessories if it moves a bike out. I do most of my own service, so accessories would be a priority rather than service or warranty.

I think they will approach this as a bike that they have to sell for little or no profit. It made its value by selling other bikes. You know the dealer better than I, but I think you might get a better deal with ancillary items than a straight-out low price.
HTH
d
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 11:37 AM

I got mine for 6K with 0.2 miles on it. I would expect under that would be a fair price. I would also promise them that you will do your first service with them too, might make things better.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I am going to a dealer to look at a V and I know that the one dealer has been using one as his demo. What would a fair price be for the demo?

I am like Rainman when it comes to negotiating I want to make a fair offer but not riped off or insult the dealer. Let's say it has between 2-4 k on the clock.

TIA
If it is used try less than 5500 I just bought a new one for 5800 in albany ny and that is with no set up fee. and have seen them for 6000 in places too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:33 PM

Paladan,

There was a demo at BBK in Elgin that had about 300 miles on the clock if I remember correctly. It had a topcase and an aftermarket screen. They offered it to me for 6800-6900(can't remeber). They expected for me to pay for the upgrades. My budget was tight so I took a new one at 6500 OTD. I wanted to put my own case on anyway so there was no insentive to buy it. My opinion is a demo is a demo regardless of what is on it. I would imagine a demo should be no more than 6000. They can always take the goodies off the bike. Good Luck!
Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Paladan,

There was a demo at BBK in Elgin that had about 300 miles on the clock if I remember correctly. It had a topcase and an aftermarket screen. They offered it to me for 6800-6900(can't remeber). They expected for me to pay for the upgrades. My budget was tight so I took a new one at 6500 OTD. I wanted to put my own case on anyway so there was no insentive to buy it. My opinion is a demo is a demo regardless of what is on it. I would imagine a demo should be no more than 6000. They can always take the goodies off the bike. Good Luck!
Mike
That is the very one I was thinking of. Thanks for the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode