The best upgrade after a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The best upgrade after a Versys

...is another Versys!

I went to the motorcycle show last weekend and sat on every adventure bike they had. The only two I liked were the 2014 Versys and the V-Strom Adventure. Everything else was too tall, too heavy, too expensive, uncomfortable, or some combination of those things.

Time to de-farkle the '09 and haul it up to the dealer for a trade-in.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My 09 just hit 20,000 miles and once it hit 19,000 miles the bike seems to run better than it ever has.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Me too

Just bought an 08 with 28000 kms to replace my 07 with 67000 (not that there was anything wrong with the 07). Couldnt pass up the deal, and wasn't done riding a Versys.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
My 09 just hit 20,000 miles and once it hit 19,000 miles the bike seems to run better than it ever has.
Yep, at 30k mine is running like a top too. I just have some gripes about its suitability for long-distance riding that seem to have been fixed in the redesign. Plus, ABS. And that sexy, sexy green.

I'd rather be riding.
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Mine has almost 38k on the clock now. The only thing I can see replacing it with would be the new V-strom 1k. But I am not made of money, and the Versys is an amazing bike for the price. With a few hundred bucks worth of upgrades you have a touring machine!

Good luck on the new gen trade in!

Hooligan
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehos View Post
Yep, at 30k mine is running like a top too. I just have some gripes about its suitability for long-distance riding that seem to have been fixed in the redesign. Plus, ABS. And that sexy, sexy green.
I wasn't aware of any re-design. Just thought they brought out the ABS and new color.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
I wasn't aware of any re-design. Just thought they brought out the ABS and new color.
Does he mean they have redesigned the seat &/or peg positions???

I hope so, I could be tempted even though mine is only a 2012..............
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post

I read an article on it earlier and it just seems to be better brakes and cosmetics..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post

I did the Seat Concepts on my 2012 in +1 firmness foam and Motowerks makes a set on nice 1 3/8" peg drops and bar riser. Makes the bike a lot more comfy for my beat up old knees! The seat is very firm, maybe a bit too much now that I've dropped a few pound, but better to firm than too soft. And the riser keeps my from having all my weight on my hands when I mounted the Givi shield.

Best thing it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a new bike!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 11-13-2013 at 05:58 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Just got back from 800+ miles in three days from Phoenix to Las Cruces, NM and back on my '09 with about 49,000 on the odometer. Even with stock seat it was comfortable as can be. ( Pictures, why, no use taking a picture of nothing.) Saw one cop going the other direction the whole time. Hard to keep it under 80 mph given the lack of traffic and the fact you can see about 25 miles in all directions most all the time. Only small beef is at those speeds with side bags and duffel on the back fuel burn was substantial. Didn't keep track but big difference from 65 or thereabouts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I meant the 2010 redesign. My V is an '09.

I'd rather be riding.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Got to test ride the BMW 800 GS, Triumph Tiger 800 and the Triumph Tiger 800 XC this past summer along with a few other bikes. I liked the Tiger 800 (base model) the best since I expect I will do 90%+ of my riding on pavement. The 21 inch front wheel and soft suspension of the 800 XC and the BMW GS seems to detract from handling on hard surfaces at mid to higher speeds. It made the front end and steering feel vague and imprecise, kinda like you were not sure it was going to hold or go where you pointed it in a corner. The Versys is a much better handling bike at higher speeds on pavement. Even with the electronically adjustable suspension on the BMW (very nice) the front wheel still felt vague on the highway. The Tiger 800 had the best handling of the three (it has a wider 19inch front and firmer suspension) but is still off road capable on 4x4 roads and had the best engine. It's a beautiful bike but at $14K out the door it does not offer near the fun/$ of the Versys. At nearly twice the price of the Versys it is really only just ~20% better.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-14-2013 at 08:51 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 AM

Personally one adventure bike I would ike to add to my garage would be the KTM 1190 Adventure R for much longer tours. Am planning maybe next year to do a trip across Java, p through Suumatra and into Malaysia/Thailand etc. Would love to be able to afford the KTM.
But if I do do it, it looks it will be on the Versys!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode