Moving on!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Moving on!!

Well folks, after 4 very enjoyable years and 32,000km (wish it was more...) I finally switched bikes, next on the list is a 2013 F800GS with all the bells and whistles. Got a decent deal on a BMW Canada demo model with 240km on it.

The decision was not easy, but I guess i wanted something new and a bit different, but still in the same style of bike (more or less). It is not without some anxiety - I really enjoy the V, and hoping the BMW is going to be as fun with a bit more off road capability without compromising the fun on the twisties. So far so good!

I continue to maintain the Versys is one of the best bikes in its class on the market, and would continue to recommend it, despite now going to the dark side...

If its ok with you guys i may continue to lurk on the forum...and for the local guys in the Ottawa area am I still invited if a local ride gets set up??!!

All the Best. Take note i have a list of farkles on sale in the for sale column.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dave T.

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Is that your Versys I saw at Ottawa Goodtime Center? I like your new bike. I'm pretty sure I rode it at BMW demo day early this year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
All the best and Ive always got a soft spot for the GS as the GS 650 single thumper was my previous bike,

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Yes, TwoWheels that was probably my V at the Goodtime Center - did they put a price on it yet? Kinda curious as i traded it in (obviously...).

So you are one of the persons I am hoping did not redline a brand new bike! Mine is white - it had off road tires but i switched the tires (and wheels) and seat with another blue demo they had. Got the BMW Comfort seat for an additional $125. Figured that was a cheap experiment before springing for the $500 Corbin which i was expected to have to do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dave T.

'09 Versys
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:53 PM

Let us know what you think of the BMW... It's always interesting to see what V riders think of other bikes!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I believe the price was in the $5000 range.

I'm innocent, I seem to recall the pne i rode was blue. Congratulations on the new bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by twowheels; 11-11-2013 at 06:12 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 AM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The force be with you!

I like the 800GS. But I'm vertically challenged. Wonder how it compares to the V.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Since you asked....800GS first impressions in comparison to the Versys:

-84 hp is noticeable, but the V continues to be surprisingly peppy beyond its spec!
-Suspension. The 800 has ESA and I am loving the "Comfort" mode. Floats over stuff that gave my spine a jolt on the V, without losing any real road feel. The 800 (unlike the 1200GS) only has adjustment on the rear end, but it is still very noticeable.
-Even taller than the V. I have the BMW Comfort Seat which perches you up even more. Will take some getting used to.
-Gadgets - heated grips (great when you buy a new bike in November in Ottawa!), ESA, computer with fuel economy readout etc. All fun stuff, not essential but what the heck...
-Way better off road and on rough stuff - can tackle rough roads with more comfort and confidence. I think it will regularly get dirtier than the V typically did, although I never shied away from rough stuff on the V.
-The 800 needs to be "worked" a bit more in the twisties, but so far just as fun - just need to adapt.
-Not able to explore the higher RPM range of the 800 yet (trying to keep at or below 5000rpm for a bit yet...). Engine seems a bit "buzzier" at higher speeds than the V - seen to be a GS trait I understand.
-800 seems more "substantial" - makes sense, larger in all respects.
-No longer get snobby looks from my wife and friend who both have BMW GS's....not that that really bothered me....
-800 really feels like more of a "go anywhere" machine.
-More to come as experience grows....but will maintain I will never bad mouth the V!

Dave T.

'09 Versys
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbud View Post
...So you are one of the persons I am hoping did not redline a brand new bike!...
THAT is what the rev-limiter is (was???) for...!

Good luck!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 07:29 PM

Garage
Now it is 2 1/2 years later, how are you enjoying the F800GS?

I keep flirting with the idea of a GS and wonder how they compare long term.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Garage
Turnbud's last activity here was 25 March 2014, I don't think you'll get an answer.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode