Road Runner Article - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Road Runner Article

Road Runner magazine (out yesterday) ran an article that compares the Versys to the new Suzuki Gladius. The writer concluded that both bikes were great and each had its own pluses and minuses. The Versys weaknesses being shifting (huh?), rear brake and a less smooth engine.

The writer led me to believe he liked the Gladius better throughout the article, but he ended by saying that he liked both bikes very much. Recent articles comparing the Gladius to the new Kawi ER-6N tend to prefer the Gladius a little better or call it even. It seems the Gladius V-twin is preferred by many.

Last edited by Gatorman; 07-14-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Looks like to me that they should have compared it to the Er-6n, not the Versys.

Apples/Pears
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:58 AM

I agree with the writer on the shifting. Upshifting on mine is okay but downshifting is very notchy and I even try to sycronize the RPM's with wheel speed when downshifting. Maybe it's just mine and maybe it will improve some as it gets broke in further.

The smoothest shifting bike in my stable right now is my HD.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM

You wouldn't compare a V-Strom to a Er-6n, would you? I guess the writer was comparing newer models?

My V shifts a bit clunky at times but it's better than my girlfriend's Buell Blast. The Gladius shares the same engine with the Wee-Strom. I've ridden my brothers Wee-Strom and I can confirm there are more vibes on the Versys.

What exactly did they say was the negative of the rear brake? I've managed to lock up the rear tire three times but those were not under normal breaking circumstances. (loose sand on road, super new pavement and rumble strips)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM

I hate the shifter feel on my V. Coming off a 2006 SV650 which had as smooth and perfect a gearbox as could be.

I constantly get neutral when going from 1-2, and sometimes I go click up and it doesn't grab. Clutch is adjusted, oil is fresh, etc. I think I need to use a bit more force than I'm used to. The SV was effortless.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Cannon, to paraphrase, the writer said it took a lot of pressure to fully engage the rear brake and that the brake travel is a long way before the brake effectively stops the bike.

I agree shifting on the V is clunky at times, but only somewhat clunkier than my Wee-strom. I also feel the Versys has quite a bit more vibration than my Wee which I now attribute to the parallel twin vs the V-twin.

Is is true the Wee-strom, SV650 and the new Gladius share the same engine? Didn't know that.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, same engine, but tuned different, like the Versys/ER-6/ninja 650...

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM

Anybody else think that Gladius is just a bit girly looking?Not so bad with the solid colors,but that blue & white bike screams gay.No offense,JMHO.Maybe it was the cheesy introduction ad i googled up.Anyhow,I think the V is a much better looking bike.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuarider View Post
Anybody else think that Gladius is just a bit girly looking?Not so bad with the solid colors,but that blue & white bike screams gay.No offense,JMHO.Maybe it was the cheesy introduction ad i googled up.Anyhow,I think the V is a much better looking bike.
A local rider has one with a few mods and it looks VERY nice in person. The pictures don't do it any justice. It turned more heads than the V did, that's for sure.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuarider View Post
Not just a bit girly...

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Apart from the fact that it is a blatant ripoff from the Ducati Monster, I think the Gladius looks nice.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM

I don't like the finish of the plastics on the Gladius...they look plastic! Like a toy.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 PM

I went to the Suzuki store to see a Gladius when they first came in, before I bought the Versys. I thought it was decidedly soft looking, really feminine, in the two-tone blue and white. The black was less so. I think overall it looks good, but it wasn't for me.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Suzuki will be happy to have girly-guys and girly-gals buy the Gladius. In fact, many testers have said the Suzuki is going after the new rider/short rider/ female rider markets with the Gladius' low seat height, euro look and ease of riding.

I don't think I want a bike where I'm worried about what other people think I look like! Of course, my brother rides a pink scooter around town that they bought for his wife's boutique which has "Lolo's" painted on the fender. You should hear some of the comments he gets!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Gladius was one of the bike I consider before decided on the Versys.

Styling wise, they are both very different. I actually like both. Versys has a slightly better suspension than the Gladius.

My main reason for buying versys is it has windscreen, and I ride long distance one in a while and like to have fairing and windscreen for weather protection. And beside I never had a Kawasaki before, and have a couple of Suzuki in the past, so I pick Kawasaki.

I have Versys for almost 2 weeks now, no regret, love this bike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Road Runner article

One of the things they brought up in the article was that the Versys has a fuel gauge and can go 200 miles before you are in danger of running out of fuel. The Gladius has no fuel gauge and can only go 125 miles before you are in danger of running out of fuel. Instrument was the only thing the Gladius had over the Versys was a gear indicator. Personally I love having a 5 gallon tank and a fuel gauge on the Versys. I wouldn't want a bike that can only go 125 miles on a tank.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 PM

I thought about the SV650 years ago when taking the safety course but lost interest after their first redesign and don't care for the Gladius at all. I thought the photos of the Versys in the article were terrible. The photographs showed a more bland shade of green then what it really has. I still have a copy of their issue of the 2008 model review and thought they did a much better photo shoot.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

I admit, the green Versys does look better in person. I still like the red & the Euro black better...

I'd like to see Suzuki, or any maker for that matter, make a direct competitor for the Versys, & no, the Wee-strom don't count. A Tiger 675 would, though...

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 PM

I don't think a Tiger 675 would count either as it would be a three cylinder. The Daytona is a little rocket sled.

As for the Gladius, an acquaintance purchased one and he does complain about the seat.

Maloy
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Sure it would, the number of cylinders is not as important as the riding position & style, at least as far as my money is concerned. I think the Tiger 1050 is closer to the Versys than a Wee-strom.

But I was thinking more of an SV 650 with long legs & an upright sitting position. They kind of went in a whole 'nother direction with the Gladius...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode