darn dog, expect the unexpected - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
rlj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
darn dog, expect the unexpected

Along the lines of V.riders thread, expect the unexpected.

Went out yesterday for a quick spin as it was a gorgeous day in Atlanta, about 1/2 mile from the house and still in the neighborhood and 1st gear, a dog shot out of nowhere. As he lunged at me I gave it the throttle and the darn dog slammed into the back of my sporty roadster, broke the blinker off as well as bent he license plate. The dog tried to attack me.

Dog was shaken a bit but ended up being okay. Fortunately I didn't get knocked over. Thank goodness my sporty roadster is as heavy as a tank.

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
MTS

You mean the dog head butted your bike or grabbed the turn signal with his mouth and ripped it off?

You were really glad the dog was ok?

Glad you are ok!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM

That dog hates bikes, it gets personal every time.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 PM

I've seen a dog run full tilt into the back of a moving pick up, but never a bike. Good to hear you stayed upright!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 PM

Dogs do chase bikes, bicycles, postmen, etc.
Maybe for the fun of it or territorial instincts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM

Sounds like you need to talk to the dog owner. I have a large dog that freaks out around motorcycles, but I certainly wouldn't let him run free to just chase whatever he wants to chomp on.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
Sounds like you need to talk to the dog owner. I have a large dog that freaks out around motorcycles, but I certainly wouldn't let him run free to just chase whatever he wants to chomp on.
I did speak with the owner. The dog snuck out the back fence and they didn't know it. I mainly went up to let them know I thought it was hurt. It was limping pretty bad when I stopped to pick up the turn signal and inspect any damage.

The dog ran somewhere as I was walking up to the house and when I was talking to them it came up the sidewalk walking fine. Not sure what kind of dog it was however it was probably around 50 pounds or so.

I'm surprised more people haven't been chased by dogs. It's happened to me a few time before but usually they never get too close and I live in a pretty nice area. It's not like dogs are running wild around me or anything……

The worst are those little white dogs that yap all the time. Several people walk them on leashes and when I go by they go absolutely berserk trying to get at me.

Come to think about it, my HD sporty has louder pipes that the V and my KLX 250S has a FMF pipe. Maybe its the louder pipe causing the dogs to freak out.

I've never been attacked by dogs on the V……..

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM

You're a bigger man than I for ck'g on the dog! You're right, my dog doesn't freak around quieter bikes - mainly the loud cruisers.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:42 PM

My dog gets excited around loud motorcycles because it meant Ray was coming home back when I had a cruiser. He would hear me a block away and start running around the house. He still does that when a loud bike goes by even when I'm sitting right next to him.
I never said he was smart.
I applaud you for going back to check on the dog, I would've done the same.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM

I live in Central Florida..

and the "pit bull" is apparently the official state dog. I've seen them lift two- car garage doors with their nose to get out (strong.) After I crap my pants, it takes all the restraint I have to SLOW DOWN, as they're racing for my leg-then gas it right when they're about 20 feet from me. That usually does it, and then once they are beat they just curl around and head home. I must live in a bad neighborhood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode