Lucky... aka the importance of good gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lucky... aka the importance of good gear

Had my first wreck on the V earlier today. It was a beautiful day out so decided to go ride my favorite twisty road. Bike was running awesome and there was no traffic out. I was having a spirited ride but never felt I was pushing it anywhere near the limit.

What appears to have happened was I lost traction on some loose gravel coming through a long sweeping left turn and low sided off the road. I estimate my speed going into the turn around 50mph. Came down hard on my left knee and then bounced my noggin off the pavement, hence me not remembering/being 100% positive of what happened.

Not sure how long I was unconscious for. I faintly remember calling 911, but it all felt like a dream at that point. Next thing I know the fire department and medics were on scene and they say I was initially confused but was pretty quick to come back to and was completely alert and oriented.

I haven't seen or heard anything about the V yet. They called a wrecker to pick it up and I'll have to get in contact with them on Monday to see what the damage is. Love the bike but that's what insurance is for. Overall I feel very lucky.

Unfortunately I was only wearing blue jeans so my left knee which appears to have impacted first was basically avulsed down to the bone. Luckily nothing broken and they did an awesome job getting it stitched up, will probably be on crutches for at least a week or two though.

My full leather boots, Joe Rocket jacket and gloves, and HJC RPHA helmet did their job wonderfully. The jacket and gloves are in pretty bad shape and will need to be replaced but they held up just enough; I only have a few small scrapes on my wrists from where the sleeves got pushed up. The helmet has road rash across the entire left side and face shield but again did its job.

Will post some pictures later and will update on condition of bike when I find out. Until then ride safe and remember dress for the slide, not for the ride.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Holy cow man. Good to hear you're okay, or what could be considered okay I have qualms about going down in just jeans too... I'll eventually shell out the bucks for kevlar jeans, or something like it.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Sorry to hear that, get better - I HATE GRAVEL!!!

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, fascinating story... Sounds like you were having a great ride.

Which tires were on, and with how many miles on them?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 PM

Kevlar jeans MAY save some abrasion but I no longer play without some sort of armor/padding.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Wow, fascinating story... Sounds like you were having a great ride.

Which tires were on, and with how many miles on them?
It was a great ride up until that point. It is very strange and disorienting coming to with no recollection of what happened.

Stock tires with 3k miles on them.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Kevlar jeans MAY save some abrasion but I no longer play without some sort of armor/padding.
Absolutely. Especially right there on the anterior knee where there is basically no muscle to absorb some of the impact.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Glad your OK. Heal up fast.

I did something similar a little over a year ago as the result of locking my front wheel in panic braking. I was in similar gear at a similar speed. Did not suffer any big impacts but slid for a while on the pavement. Armored gloves, boots, armored textile jacket and FF helmet did what they were supposed to do in a crash and fully protected me but my regular jeans burst open at the knee on contact with the pavement, or shortly there after. Wore the skin off my knee. My Olympia AST jacket was a write off after the accident as it wore through to the elbow armor, but held together elsewhere were it was in contact with the pavement. It protected me from any damage and I was happy with the way it performed. Chin bar on my helmet was badly rashed as were the back of my gloves even though I landed on the base of my palms. I guess glove makers do know what they are doing when they put the armor pieces on the knuckles and back of the fingers. My hands instinctively balled into a fist on impact causing the plastic armored pieces to on the gloves to take the brunt of the damage and not the palms.

All I can say is wear your gear, you'll never know when you'll need it. I shudder to think how I would have fared without it.

Crash bars saved my bike although it had repairable damage to a few things like the plastic panel on one side and broken handle bars.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-09-2013 at 11:39 PM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 AM

Garage
Glad your mostly ok, hope your insurance fixes or replaces everything.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Is riding gear covered by motorcycle insurance? I'll have to check but I think my policy states it covers the value of the bike plus up to $1000 in accessories. Never thought much of it but could gear qualify as an accessory?

Yeah without gear I would have been seriously hurt. I'm fully convinced that the helmet saved my life today and with the amount of damage to chin bar I wouldn't have fared well without it being full face.

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 AM

Glad you made it without more serious injuries.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 AM

You'll like it!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Glad you walked away from this one.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.rider View Post
Bike was running awesome and there was no traffic out... What appears to have happened was I lost traction on some loose gravel coming through a long sweeping left turn and low sided off the road.
Quote:
It was a great ride up until that point. It is very strange and disorienting coming to with no recollection of what happened.

Stock tires with 3k miles on them.
It is strange but common to hear about not remembering what happened just before, and the actual cause of the wreck when you were then knocked out... Makes you wonder. Maybe it'll come back some day.

Getting good tires now would be a good idea.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It is strange but common to hear about not remembering what happened just before, and the actual cause of the wreck when you were then knocked out... Makes you wonder. Maybe it'll come back some day.

Getting good tires now would be a good idea.
Went off the side of a building 40 years ago & still don't know what happened.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Is riding gear covered by motorcycle insurance? I'll have to check but I think my policy states it covers the value of the bike plus up to $1000 in accessories. Never thought much of it but could gear qualify as an accessory?

Yeah without gear I would have been seriously hurt. I'm fully convinced that the helmet saved my life today and with the amount of damage to chin bar I wouldn't have fared well without it being full face.

Insurance paid for my helmet and drift camera because both were damaged.Would have paid for a new jacket but just had a couple of tiny scuffs on the outside shoulder armor so i told them not to include the jacket. If they pay for you helmet or gear they usually take it then just throw it in the trash.

Glad your doing okay seems like it could have ended real bad for you. My brother got hit from behind when he was on his gold wing years ago. Only thing he can remember is that he felt like he was being pushed. Then he woke up in the hospital.Some co-workers were leaving the plant and saw a piece of his bike sticking up from out of a ditch and found him. The car that hit him never stopped.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-10-2013 at 09:28 AM.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.rider
It is very strange and disorienting coming to with no recollection of what happened.
Possible concussion? Helmets will save your life, but a hard jarring hit could do that. Definitely mention it to the doctors and have yourself completely checked out.

Glad you are here to tell the tale.

Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with the trooper who responded to the wreck. He said where I went down was an S curve with a sharp right followed by the long sweeping left. I made it about 75% of the way through the left and then lost traction on some loose gravel and sand when I went to accelerate out of the turn. Trooper said the bike slid about 75 feet from where the footpeg first made contact with pavement but a majority of it in the grass. Speed was estimated at about 40-45mph. He said the fairing was pretty torn up but from what they could tell the frame, forks, and handlebars all seemed intact with only some cosmetic damage.

So it sounds like I got pretty lucky on all fronts. I'll get the bike to the shop either tomorrow or Tuesday but it sounds like she'll get to come home when all's said and done. It will probably be at least a month before I'm able to ride again. Definitely messed me knee up pretty good but I'm counting my blessings.

Thanks for all the responses guys, it is much appreciated. Ride Safe!

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Glad you are ok! There has been some nice riding weather here in NC this week. Make sure you have accessory coverage on your policy to pay for all your gear/equipment.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode