Motorcycle Medics? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle Medics?

I heard somewhere, i cant remember where now, that there was a certification/class for motorcyclists to be trained as a type of medic for when you may come upon a crash. I would deffinately be interested in doing something like this. Does anyone have any decent information on this? Im running out of google search ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 PM

I believe they have them in London. They ride Beemers and have portable defibs and other first aid equipment. They can get through traffic jams by riding sidewalks.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

It would be a great thing here in the states as well. Maybe you should start something. I wonder if contacting the MSF would be a good place to start...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I actually just saw a nationwide insurance commercial this afternoon in which the "agent" that rod a motorcycle said he was the member of a group that was for people who rode bikes and also were trained to be first responders. I think i will look into it a little more and see what comes up.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

As bikers, it probably wouldn't hurt to learn a little first aid & buddy care on our own anyway...

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Harley Owners Group has first responder training. I have some friends in emergency medicine, and will ask if there is any motorcycle related courses you could take.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:35 PM

I've never heard of anything like that in the States. Seems to me that if you're going to put the effort into that type of training you might as well get a basic EMT certification.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:57 PM

Spiderman is right you could take a first respoder class or EMT-B (basic) class as a start. I'm not aware of any cities in the US that has Motorcycle Paramedics or EMT's as a job. If you are looking for just medical training that you want to use for when you ride in group etc. An EMT class in your area would be best. Who knows maybe you'll like it and continue eventually coming over to the darkside with an EMS job!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Yeah, you could go for your Woofer. A woofer is a Wilderness First Responder. Basically, it teaches you the skills to keep you and the injured party safe and treat what you can until a higher unit (EMT) is able to reach your location. The program, to my understanding, was originally designed for truckers and hikers that are often in remote locations. Its part survival and part medical. I know a place near me (Camp Dagget) runs a course in August. Takes 5 days, I think. I keep meaning to go get mine, but I can never schedule it. Hopefully next year.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
Yeah, you could go for your Woofer. A woofer is a Wilderness First Responder. Basically, it teaches you the skills to keep you and the injured party safe and treat what you can until a higher unit (EMT) is able to reach your location. The program, to my understanding, was originally designed for truckers and hikers that are often in remote locations. Its part survival and part medical. I know a place near me (Camp Dagget) runs a course in August. Takes 5 days, I think. I keep meaning to go get mine, but I can never schedule it. Hopefully next year.

Now THAT sounds like a pretty interesting class. I would be very interested in attending one of those. I get out in remote areas from time to time and this would would fill a void in my EMS training.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Now THAT sounds like a pretty interesting class. I would be very interested in attending one of those. I get out in remote areas from time to time and this would would fill a void in my EMS training.
Go to http://www.northerncairn.com/ to learn more. They offer much more than just woofers.

Also, some colleges and community colleges offer courses. I know I could have taken it up at Northern Michigan University, but just didn't have the time in my already full schedule.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM

there are some basic first aid training courses in the UK for riders, called 'First Bike On Scene(FBOS)'. there are not too different from standard first aid except that it goes on at length about head trauma, when to remove the helmet or not, how to remove and so on. most of the rest of it is largely covered by the mandatory first aid part of basic training. So you cna get to probably 80..90% of the syllabus through normal first aid, another 5..10% through first aid aimed at road users (eg how to make the scene safe, how to appraoch the casualty, when to move or not), the final 5..15% is bike specific. eg helmets, isolate a bike and so on.)

as to paramedics, yeah there are some bike mounted paramedics, but that's only in the big cities where there is a risk that the conventional ambulance cannot reach the callout within the specified time. IIRC an ambulance has to be on scene within 7 minutes of dispatch for something like 90..95% of cases so in some circumstances they send a bike or car and then follow up with a fully kitted out ambulance.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ryUK|countryGB

***EDIT***
some more stuff on FBoS, from somebody who has actually done the course rather than heard about it.....
http://ravenbladerider.wordpress.com...on-scene-fbos/

Last edited by healdem; 07-13-2009 at 11:57 AM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Don't know about any specific medical training for motorcyclists, but I remember a group called the Motorcycling Doctors a few years back. Was thinking about joining, but they seemed to be mostly cruiser riders and I was on a Z1000 at the time.

I do ride with an ER doc and PA on occasion and another friend will be starting med school in the fall (good luck; he'll need it! ). As we have 2 MD's and a PA when we ride, no one worries too much if there is a medical need...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM

I took this: http://www.accidentscene.org/

It is best as a supplement to basic first aid & CPR training. It covers items specific to motorcycling, such as securing the scene, what you should have in your kit, etc. The single most useful thing I learned that I doubt I would learn anywhere else is how to remove a helmet from a victim. I especially liked the part where we learned how to do it solo--it is not officially sanctioned anywhere, it is supposed to be a 2-person job, but if someone isn't breathing and I'm the only one there, at least I have a chance of removing it without increasing injury.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:01 PM

Austin Tx EMS is using 2 G650GSs. I guess they can jump curbs and get around traffic jams to get to the scene.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Austin Tx EMS is using 2 G650GSs.
I want that job!!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz33 View Post
I took this: http://www.accidentscene.org/

The single most useful thing I learned that I doubt I would learn anywhere else is how to remove a helmet from a victim. I especially liked the part where we learned how to do it solo--it is not officially sanctioned anywhere, it is supposed to be a 2-person job, but if someone isn't breathing and I'm the only one there, at least I have a chance of removing it without increasing injury.
OK, you've got my attention. How is it done? Can you describe it in 500 words or less? Sounds like a good thing to know!

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:

OK, you've got my attention. How is it done? Can you describe it in 500 words or less? Sounds like a good thing to know!
go get the training
given the litigous nature of your (and sadly now UK) society you would be very very silly to contemplate removing a helmet without some piece of paperwork. if there is an incident and you elect to remove the helmet without having done the training and soemthign goes wrong (heck it may even have gone wrong before you remove the helmet) you open yourself up to all manner of legal problems as some scumbag lawyer seeks to maintain his lifestyle at your expense.

Assuming I do do my fantasy trip next year there is no way I'd admit to being a trained first aider in the US, Canada mebbe. And that to me is a truly terrifying indictment of how society goes, because I'd want to help a fellow human being if at all possible, but wouldn't because of the fear of consequences.

I seem to remember that there was a highly publicised case in the last few years where the family sued someone who acted as a first aider to the scene of their daughters crash
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:38 AM

Actually, we don't have that problem on this side of the pond. We have something called the good samaritan law that protects us from liability when giving assistance. It's a good law which varies a bit from state to state but is consistant in its intent. You might be liable though if you provide assistanse which is contradictory with your training. Then it gets a little tricky. But I would never drive past an accident scene for fear of being sued.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Actually, we don't have that problem on this side of the pond. We have something called the good samaritan law that protects us from liability when giving assistance. It's a good law which varies a bit from state to state but is consistant in its intent. You might be liable though if you provide assistanse which is contradictory with your training. Then it gets a little tricky. But I would never drive past an accident scene for fear of being sued.
fair enough, sounds reasonable. but as long as there are documented cases like this I'll stick to my policy
http://conservative247.org/governmen...-training.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode