Ninja 250 vs Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ninja 250 vs Versys

Hi Gang

I've spent the past 4 months learning on a 03 Ninja 250 and aI love the little guy, but its time to move on to a Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Well get one & welcome aboard! What are you waiting on? GO!!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:09 PM

I had someone stop me today and ask if the V would be a good first bike? I said yeah its a great bike. But he was looking for a bike for his wife that is 5'2'' tall. I said that the V is a tall bike and they had lowering kits for it but maybe start with something a little smaller. And he asked about the ninja 250 and I said it would be a great bike to learn on as it is smaller, thinner, and a little less powerful. I also said that she would probably out grow it and then maybe a lowered V.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYES View Post
I had someone stop me today and ask if the V would be a good first bike? I said yeah its a great bike. But he was looking for a bike for his wife that is 5'2'' tall. I said that the V is a tall bike and they had lowering kits for it but maybe start with something a little smaller. And he asked about the ninja 250 and I said it would be a great bike to learn on as it is smaller, thinner, and a little less powerful. I also said that she would probably out grow it and then maybe a lowered V.
At 5'2" even a lowered V may be too tall. I would say a 650R would be better for her.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 PM

I think the ER-6N would be a good choice for a someone under 5'5''.

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:34 AM

It never ceases to amaze the number of people "looking for a bike for their wife". I just don't get it...

Is it something that a woman rider is incapable of doing themselves.
Is it something that some/many husbands don't trust their wives to do, or they feel their wives are an extension of themsleves and therefore the wives choice musn't reflect 'badly' on the husband.

Surely its her bike, her choice, and if she wants to ride a pink KTM its her perogative.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 AM

I have honestly never seen a pink KTM,LOL
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYES View Post
And he asked about the ninja 250 and I said it would be a great bike to learn on as it is smaller, thinner, and a little less powerful. I also said that she would probably out grow it and then maybe a lowered V.
I respectfully disagree with the 'out grow it' comment. If it means that she'll want a bigger displacement, then it's her and her husband's perogative, and I won't argue that point. But for sheer fun, precise handling and near perfect ergonomics, the '09 Ninja 250 is hard to beat. Except for the straights, this little Ninja rides circles around her bigger brothers in the curves. It's a great bike to learn to ride proficiently, and it actually looks like a middleweight, but without the weight. Try one sometime.

Peter
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
It never ceases to amaze the number of people "looking for a bike for their wife". I just don't get it...

Is it something that a woman rider is incapable of doing themselves.
Is it something that some/many husbands don't trust their wives to do, or they feel their wives are an extension of themsleves and therefore the wives choice musn't reflect 'badly' on the husband.

Surely its her bike, her choice, and if she wants to ride a pink KTM its her perogative.
healdem,

I would have to agree. I tried to help my wife "pick" a bike, and she respectfully ignored me, choosing one that made her happy. I showed her the Ninja 250 and 500 and several others, she sat on them, etc.. She ended up with a V Star 650 and she loves it!

Let them pick their own, then it's not your fault if things don't work out!

regards, Bob
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newv View Post
I have honestly never seen a pink KTM,LOL
***Warning*** clicking the following link may lead to irrepairable mental stress
..ask and ye shall receive...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...nk+ktm&spell=1

Last edited by healdem; 07-13-2009 at 11:14 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrice View Post
healdem,

I would have to agree. I tried to help my wife "pick" a bike, and she respectfully ignored me, choosing one that made her happy. I showed her the Ninja 250 and 500 and several others, she sat on them, etc.. She ended up with a V Star 650 and she loves it!

Let them pick their own, then it's not your fault if things don't work out!
shouldn't that read
then it's less likely your fault if things don't work

Theres days when I wonder why I'm still single at 49, but then again.....
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
shouldn't that read
then it's less likely your fault if things don't work

Theres days when I wonder why I'm still single at 49, but then again.....
healdem,

Yeah, you're right, actually it will still by my fault, but not entirely. At least I would attempt that argument.

As far as being single at 49, you're just smarter than most of the rest of us.

regards, Bob
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psc View Post
I respectfully disagree with the 'out grow it' comment. If it means that she'll want a bigger displacement, then it's her and her husband's perogative, and I won't argue that point. But for sheer fun, precise handling and near perfect ergonomics, the '09 Ninja 250 is hard to beat. Except for the straights, this little Ninja rides circles around her bigger brothers in the curves. It's a great bike to learn to ride proficiently, and it actually looks like a middleweight, but without the weight. Try one sometime.

Peter
I agree 100%. My wife has a 2008 Ninja 250 which is the new style. It is an awesome starting bike and builds confidence without boring the rider. She loves it, and I've been known to take it out for a 'mechanical check' test ride from time to time, purely for her safety.

Yes, I helped my wife pick a motorcycle. Big deal. She helps me pick clothes all the time. In a relationship you are doomed not to lean on each other to improve upon each persons strengths and weaknesses. We appreciate each others input, and don't get our backs up about it. Budgeting, health/diet/exercise, and fashion...her. Cars, motorcycles, anything else mechanical, travel, dealing with banks, dealing with commissioned sales people,...me. Everything else is jointly decided, and everyone gets a veto.

Didn't know this forum was a place for sanctimonious marriage advice.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM

My wife has picked out three motorcycles for herself, including a VStar 650 that she got because it was purple. (It turned out to be terrible on curvy roads and is now for sale) The first bike she picked out was a Vulcan 750 that is the best performer of the bikes she owns, but is also VERY unreliable. Her current darling is a Sporster 1200 Low. I didn't recommend any of these bikes, but my wife was still constantly seeking my help and input while shopping for one, and I was glad to be the husband "looking for a bike for my wife."

I agree that the Ninjette is a good enough bike that no one should really outgrow it. No need to "graduate" up to something bigger. I also think the Versys will never be a good bike for someone 5'3" or shorter. Even lowered it is still too tall for someone of such short stature.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 PM

Speaking from first hand experience I had an 07 ninja 250 (older style) as my first bike. I found that bike somewhat funner to ride because it was like having a motor on a bicycle; very light almost toy like. That thing loved to rev and I never thought twice about sharp turns. Gas mileage was excellent and tons of user support on the 250 forums.
The V on the other hand does not feel like a toy due to the increased weight, height and power. I'm able to accelerate without downshifting like I had to with the 250. I feel that I can kept up with traffic better when traveling 60+ mph, less foot cramps and more comfortable. The V does get top heavy when slowing to a stop. My figure 8 turning confidence is just not as good like it was on the 250(for those MSF students).
The main reason for trading in the 250 was due to my 280 pound 5'11'' frame. I looked like a bear on a bicycle. I would say if your under 200 pounds and 6 foot then the newer gen 250 would be a good choice. Kawasaki really did a good job with the new gen 250 but I hate the fact that the price went up from $3000 to $4000 in less than 2 years. Guess there making it up since the price remained unchanged for years. I actually mistaken a 250 for a 650 at the mall yesterday; the telling sign was the exhaust.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Speaking from first hand experience I had an 07 ninja 250 (older style) as my first bike. I found that bike somewhat funner to ride because it was like having a motor on a bicycle; very light almost toy like. That thing loved to rev and I never thought twice about sharp turns. Gas mileage was excellent and tons of user support on the 250 forums.
The V on the other hand does not feel like a toy due to the increased weight, height and power. I'm able to accelerate without downshifting like I had to with the 250. I feel that I can kept up with traffic better when traveling 60+ mph, less foot cramps and more comfortable. The V does get top heavy when slowing to a stop. My figure 8 turning confidence is just not as good like it was on the 250(for those MSF students).
The main reason for trading in the 250 was due to my 280 pound 5'11'' frame. I looked like a bear on a bicycle. I would say if your under 200 pounds and 6 foot then the newer gen 250 would be a good choice. Kawasaki really did a good job with the new gen 250 but I hate the fact that the price went up from $3000 to $4000 in less than 2 years. Guess there making it up since the price remained unchanged for years. I actually mistaken a 250 for a 650 at the mall yesterday; the telling sign was the exhaust.

Preachin' to the chior...

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
The V does get top heavy when slowing to a stop. My figure 8 turning confidence is just not as good like it was on the 250(for those MSF students).
And I thought it was just me! I have dropped it twice in gas stations trying to do sharp turns. I've been off bikes for a few years, and assumed it was just my lack of practice, but I totally agree it is a beast in tight slow situations.

Get it above 15mph and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
And I thought it was just me! I have dropped it twice in gas stations trying to do sharp turns. I've been off bikes for a few years, and assumed it was just my lack of practice, but I totally agree it is a beast in tight slow situations.

Get it above 15mph and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Even stopping in a straight line was not as smooth as the 250. I find myself drifting to the right unless I really focus with my head up like they teach you in MSF class. The 250 was more natural and I did not have to concentrate making certain maneuvers. Not knocking the V but this is a big boy bike and I would not recommended it to beginners especially if your on the short/weak side. Now my instructor who was much smaller than me totally man handled a gold wing and races gsx 1000's at the track. Experience is = to confidence.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:00 AM

got both bikes

The ninja 250 is an 09 European bike bought for my daughters because they have to ride 33bhp for 2 years. I think it's a wonderful little bike and often use it in preference to the V. It's silky smooth, wonderful handling, very good ergonomics, looks like a middleweight and despite the unbranded single brakes, stops at least as well as the V.
Quality of finish is not as good as the Versys, but I have paid 50 for allyearbiker to mist-treat it with acf50

You are worried about $4000 hah ..... the UK price has gone up to $6000
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode