cheap rear stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
cheap rear stand

well, I have to say, harbor freight is hard to beat for the price sometimes. this stand was around $32 using a discount ad in a cycle magazine. it seems to be decent quality. anyone had one of these break?----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

whrere did the photos go?

photos didn't go thru
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harbor frieght stand and lots of other stuff 253.jpg (75.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg harbor frieght stand and lots of other stuff 251.jpg (76.8 KB, 214 views)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:59 AM

I too just bought one of these, yesterday in fact. I seriously don't think that breaking is a concern. The Versys is so light, I expect mine to work perfectly for a long time to come. Will be so handy for chain maintenance.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have 2 of them one in Texas and one in California. Use one every week since 2010 never had an issue.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have 2 of them one in Texas and one in California. Use one every week since 2010 never had an issue.
I think if there is a weak point, it would be the upright pieces folding sideways if the weight of the bike was accidently pushed to the side. I say this because I did see some flex in those pieces
when the bike got off balance one time. I aim to be more careful in the future and don't expect any problems----------
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
I think if there is a weak point, it would be the upright pieces folding sideways if the weight of the bike was accidently pushed to the side. I say this because I did see some flex in those pieces
when the bike got off balance one time. I aim to be more careful in the future and don't expect any problems----------

The sides will take some weight. My bike leans over more than most so i always park it at home with a piece of 2X4 under the stand and have on occassion had to move the bike forward or backward while i was setting the bike down and it was leaning over to the left and no problems. Have done it many times.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:03 PM

I bought one for my V, works great!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM

Mine makes me pretty nervous. It does indeed lean more to one side and this can become worse if the front wheel turns while putting it up on the stand. I expect it to fall over at anytime.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM

What's with the handle being crooked on the HF lifts?
Does it help with anything or is it just bad manufacturing?
BTW, my HF lift has worked just fine for almost two years, no complaints.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
well, I have to say, harbor freight is hard to beat for the price sometimes. this stand was around $32 using a discount ad in a cycle magazine. it seems to be decent quality. anyone had one of these break?----------
Got an H-F one in BC, and a T-Rex in AZ. The H-F one holds the GREEN HORNET OK, but I don't have the same level of confidence in it as the T-Rex one gives w/ BIG RED.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
This is the same stand that is sold at Princess Auto in Canada.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
This is the same stand that is sold at Princess Auto in Canada.
Once you look at the stuff in BOTH H-F and Princess Auto, you see that a huge amount is identical, even IF the brand name's different.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

deluxe version of h.f. stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Mine makes me pretty nervous. It does indeed lean more to one side and this can become worse if the front wheel turns while putting it up on the stand. I expect it to fall over at anytime.
I decided to go with the "deluxe" version of the harbor freight stand. I just hope my son doesn't decide to relive his youth via a rollerblade experience. I suspect it wouldn't be as much fun without the wheels---------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike stand h.f.deluxe 001.jpg (69.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg bike stand h.f.deluxe 002.jpg (75.7 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by dspark52; 11-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 AM

I also just bought one this Monday. Couldn't pass it up with a 25% coupon.

Seems strong enough for the V.

2009 Blue Kawa Versys
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I decided to go with the "deluxe" version of the harbor freight stand. I just hope my son doesn't decide to relive his youth via a rollerblade experience. I suspect it wouldn't be as much fun without the wheels---------
I do think the xtra wheels took away some of the sideways flex and makes it easy to roll the cycle around while its on the stand
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 PM

I need a rear stand, and this looks like it will work alright. What do you guys use for the front?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGunslingerx View Post
I need a rear stand, and this looks like it will work alright. What do you guys use for the front?

A T-rex, one each in AZ and BC, complete w/ the steering stem adapter.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGunslingerx View Post

The other rear stand that harbor freight sells. But with the adapters to make it a front wheel stand. Harbour freight no longer sells the front adapters.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Garage
Well Hell look what i found......These will convert the other rear stand harbor freight sell into a front wheel stand.......http://stage.hft-site.com/automotive...and-65621.html Heres the stand.....http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...and-65620.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode