Riding Gear whenever you ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Riding Gear whenever you ride

V Bikers,

Again, my Condolences to Sstack and his family. It is so painful.
Reality is we engage is a dangerous hobby. Our safety depends on many variables and not to mention the person in the other vehicle. It is a tragedy that happens everyday everywhere around the world. So many lives are loss...

What I like to share are 2 experiences concerning riding gear:

Like you probably know my dad have a crash on my V. Me and 3rd bro live with my parents. My dad about 65 and have been riding from a very young age. He's first bike was the Triumph Tiger cub 50 and seen him ride many bikes while growing up.

What had happen was before his crash, my younger brother and him had a disagreement on using his Aerostich roadcrafter riding the V. He said it okay not to wear any proper riding gear, just jeans would do. It was raining when my dad crash. He only have a mild gash on his hand as he did not wear gloves. Some dick just suddenly braked their car in the middle of the road. My Dad was thrown off but with his Schuberth and aerostich he just skidded on the road. He later told my brother he was right. How lucky it was...

The 2nd experience I would like to share happen to me. I written about it in http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=thailand

Rewrite:

Day 8- Chiang Mai - Mae Hong Son
Early morning departure for the spectacular 200-kilometre drive through some of Thailand's loveliest mountain scenery to Mae Hong Son. tiniest and most isolated northern provincial capital. Half the fun of visiting Mae Hong Son is getting there. The road from Mae Sariang passes through dense forest where trees grow to some 100 feet and work elephants are not uncommon sights. Increasingly, particularly over the final 70 kilometres, the road snakes in hairpin bends, so much so that locals refer to it as 'the road of 1,000 turns'. Narrow valleys have been cleared for rice cultivation and distant hilltop Burmese-style temples dominate verdant farmland. Frequently, the road overlooks countryside so far below the traveller feels he is inside an aircraft. Eventually the road descends into a broader valley before entering Mae Hong Son. After an early-afternoon arrival, and checking-in to a hotel, visit the lakeside Wat Chongkham where Burmese-style buildings and chapels are of considerable interest. Afterwards, visit the hilltop Wat Phra That Doi Kong Mu which overlooks the town from a 900-feet vantage point. Gigantic leonine statues guard a huge staircase leading to the temple which offers an exhilarating view of Mae Hong Son and encroaching forested hills.

Took this from http://aaa-thailand.com/to_north.html.

Did this trip by bike about 15 years ago with my family. The Thailand tourism board actually gives your a certificate for passing the 1000 turn stretch of road for this final 70 km to Mae Hong Son. All this is in the highlands so its pretty steep up/down hill.

Nearly loss my life on this trip at 22. Was riding pillion with my brother riding pilot. While leaning in a sharp turn, the bike (Vulcan 750) hit a high bump in the middle of the turn. Loss the front and bike skidded to the edge of that small twisty road. My right knee got caught with a concrete distance to go indicator slab and I was airborne like a bird. Flew down the side of the valley and started to roll down hill. What saved me from a 100m drop was a tiny 10mm diameter rubber tree 15m from the top were the road was. Couldn't move up so some motorist came down to help me. Couldn't walk for two months and knee still hurts when it's cold/rains.

Before the crash, someone asked me if I needed knee protectors. If I had only said OK, I would have avoided so much pain through the years...

Live Long and Prosper...

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I can relate, stlee29. Last June I got side swiped by an SUV in a major hit and run on one of our local parkways. The bike and I flew 150 feet down the road and I was lucky I wasn't run over. Had on full gear, including riding pants and I walked away with only some mild rash on my knee and elbow (I was wearing a mesh Tourmaster Cortech jacket and Hood riding pants and there was some mesh that did give way). Missed 1 day of work as this happened on a Sunday and I needed to take a little time, but otherwise all is well. The SUV driver was most likely on a cell phone and didn't notice a 500 pound plus bike and rider.

It is very dangerous out there, so ride safe all...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM

stlee29, you show how protective gear can prevent so much. It is a bit of a hassle to put on and off each time you ride, but in comparison to what other things we do each day, it isn't even worth noting. In comparison of what injury recovery time is needed, again, there is no excuse for not preparing.

Sure wish you well.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rponiarski,

As bikers, we are always exposed to so many dangers. Plus we don't have protection barriers like cars. You spot on on Ride safe all...

Hi Atgatt,

Thank you for your kind words. Good to see you back on the forum.
Yes, it is a hassle to put on those riding gear. But like the saying says "It better to sweat than to bleed". Cheers and Best Wishes.

Take care All. Ride safely from and back home always....

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:25 PM

I feel off the V is Northern CA last year. I had full armored jacket, boots, gloves, helmet and jeans.

Only thing that was hurt was my knee-went out and got armored pants (BMW Summer pants).

My knee took 3 months to get back to normal, if I had been wearing knee armor, would have saved me the pain.

Since then even it temps over 100, I have never ridden without full gear.

Machog

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM

I recall once I was at my doctors office for some PT and the receptionist said to me "boy, that sure does look like a lot of work" refering to me taking off and putting on my pants and jacket.

I just smiled and said "yep, but just think of all the work I am saving the hospital if I crash".

I have a variety of gear for a variety of temps on conditions. On the hottest days I am ATGATT. I promise my wife and kids I will come home after each ride, and I intend to keep that promise (and have for the past 20 plus years). I, btw, ride pretty much every single day to and from work. If you think weekend drivers are dangerous, try dealing with morning commuters drinking coffee, putting on make up, reading the newspaper, sleeping, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode