Looked at a 2014 ABS Versys today. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Looked at a 2014 ABS Versys today.

I was all set to plunk down some $ and order the green plastics to convert my '11 over, but after seeing it and looking it over, I'm not so sure it is worth the $600 or so it would cost to convert it. It just didn't hit me like I thought it would.

Having ABS would be nice, but I would have a hard time plunking down the $4000 difference just to pick up ABS.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not sure it makes a difference.

After some considerable miles. I have had to make some rather abrupt stops that I don't know if ABS would have mattered. Just saying.

Cheers!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
After some considerable miles. I have had to make some rather abrupt stops that I don't know if ABS would have mattered. Just saying.
I ride a lot of chip and seal roads and have locked up the rear a few times pulling over too close to the edge of the road where the loose stuff lives. My big heavy touring bikes have ABS and I wouldn't want them without it.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
As an ABS compromise, good pads that provide good feedback make it a lot harder to accidentally lock up the front brake while panic braking or braking really hard. I use ebc hh pads.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 06:59 AM

Before I got my 12' Versys I also thought that ABS was a bit of a "fancy" feature, that didnt really deserve to be on bikes. Now however, I would not buy another bike without ABS.

In the dry it's pretty rare that the front wheel locks. However in the wet, grip is never a simple measurement. Obviously I dont just rely on ABS to brake for me, but use it as a safety net. Although everyone has a different opinion regarding ABS on bikes, I gotta say that they are single handedly the biggest life saver on bikes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 AM

i'm against abs, it teaches riders to be lazy, this is just me because i have 2 bikes and 1 scooter.

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispradez View Post
i'm against abs, it teaches riders to be lazy, this is just me because i have 2 bikes and 1 scooter.
I have never activated the ABS on my bikes. It is nice to know it is there when that "oh $hit" moment happens. You know, the one where the rider says "I had to lay it down", which really means they locked up the brakes and went down. I think ABS keeps you safe, not make you lazy

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM

"I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers."

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 PM

:Threadjack:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispradez View Post
From what I understand about ABS on bikes, with proper technique, executed with little to no error, you can stop in a shorter distance than you can with ABS. However, most people in panic situations are not able to apply proper braking technique, they often will end up locking the rear, which greatly increases your stopping distance (than if it's not locked), and of course increases the risk of high-siding. I think for most of us ABS would be of benefit in the panic braking situations. My guess is that even those who practice emergency braking regularly (we all should, but how many actually do...) that in a panic situation they'd still panic and lock the wheel.

Proper technique would be much more graceful and would earn some style points from me.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have never activated the ABS on my bikes. It is nice to know it is there when that "oh $hit" moment happens. You know, the one where the rider says "I had to lay it down", which really means they locked up the brakes and went down. I think ABS keeps you safe, not make you lazy
You need to activate the ABS occasionally, to make sure the motor works. I have struck units on cars with a faulty motor.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
:Threadjack:

From what I understand about ABS on bikes, with proper technique, executed with little to no error, you can stop in a shorter distance than you can with ABS. However, most people in panic situations are not able to apply proper braking technique, they often will end up locking the rear, which greatly increases your stopping distance (than if it's not locked), and of course increases the risk of high-siding. I think for most of us ABS would be of benefit in the panic braking situations. My guess is that even those who practice emergency braking regularly (we all should, but how many actually do...) that in a panic situation they'd still panic and lock the wheel.

Proper technique would be much more graceful and would earn some style points from me.
Wouldn't that mean with proper technique you would stop in the same distance with ABS or non ABS bikes? Because with proper technique you would never lock up the wheels which would mean ABS would not engage.

I think you mean with proper technique on a Non ABS bike you can stop faster than with an ABS bike with improper technique.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
You need to activate the ABS occasionally, to make sure the motor works. I have struck units on cars with a faulty motor.
Good point.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Wouldn't that mean with proper technique you would stop in the same distance with ABS or non ABS bikes? Because with proper technique you would never lock up the wheels which would mean ABS would not engage.

I think you mean with proper technique on a Non ABS bike you can stop faster than with an ABS bike with improper technique.
Yes. Thanks...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It'd be nice to be able to disactivate ABS too. It could always be removed and sold to an ABS-loving non-ABS Versys rider... At least, you can still get a 2013 without ABS for $1,300 less than a 2014 with ABS in Canada.

http://www.kawasaki.ca/product/versys-650

It's strange that both the 2013 Versys 650 and 2014 Versys 650 ABS have an MSRP of $7,999, compared to 2014 ABS and non-ABS Ninja 650R USA models.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...?scid=6&id=720

Last edited by invader; 10-31-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode