Question about Versys 650 USA model? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question about Versys 650 USA model?

Hello!

What is that black plastic box on the photo? (versys 650 for USA/Canada?)

European versys is without that box.

Any idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 AM
rlj

a better and more knowledgeable answer will be posted from someone else however I'm thinking it has to do with California emissions so the bike can be sold there........

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 AM

^^^ Its only on the California emissions model. My 13 V doesnt have one. (Florida)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Banned

lt's just another gizmo so that the oil companies make bigger profits!
ie, less MPG per vehicle.

Which leads me on to a personal rant; Why do European cars get so many more MPG's taking into account that a US gallon is approx. 16% smaller than a "real" gallon?
I was talking with a friend in the UK yesterday who is considering leasing a VW & there is a diesel turbo they sell that can get up to 80mpg!!!

Even these stupid hybrids never get more than an advertised 50mpg over here!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 AM

The US and Canadian Versys are identical with each other except the instruction stickers on the swing arm and owners manual are in French and English on the bikes sold in Canada. The California bike has extra emissions equipment. I would expect the other Versys sold around the world are identical to the US/Canadian version.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
It's a charcoal evaporative emissions canister. NO LONGER on my '09, which, tho' bought in AZ, had the Calif. equipment.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 AM

Evap emissions canister, has absolutely zero effect on MPG or power. All it does is collect fuel vapors.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 06:16 AM

Because the USA is either just slow, or controlled by oil companies, Mick. Just recently are we starting to make turbo cars like the new little Chevy motors as well as the new V6 twin turbo Ford puts in their new trucks instead of a big V8. Its getting there but will take a long time. Hopefully soon we will start seeing more small turbo diesels in cars and light trucks/suvs, but I have a feeling it will be awhile.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 AM

Fuel air mixture

It's there to keep the fuel/air mixture screws from being adjusted my some asshole who thinks he is being funny.

Cheers!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
Evap emissions canister, has absolutely zero effect on MPG or power. All it does is collect fuel vapors.
Thanks for posting that. We Californian's are so misunderstood. We like MPG and power just like everyone else and would never stand for additions that robbed us of that!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
lt's just another gizmo so that the oil companies make bigger profits!
ie, less MPG per vehicle.

Nope.
This,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
It adds a couple pounds max, if anything, it ADDS MPG. The fuel evaporates, goes into the canister, which is then vented back into the tank. Without it, fuel evaporates and goes into the air. I doubt it does much, but it's not bothering anything either. I thought about removing it, but after much research, decided it wasn't the hassle. I did need to store my V in a small storage unit this summer, and I noticed there was no fuel smell even though it was very hot and stuffy in there.

BTW, I suspect so many US models are equipped with this, because it doesn't cost Kawasaki much to add it, doesn't affect much, but increases the number of bikes that can potentially be shipped to California.

Last edited by cyclesarge; 11-03-2013 at 10:41 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
Thanks for posting that. We Californian's are so misunderstood. We like MPG and power just like everyone else and would never stand for additions that robbed us of that!

People from lesser populated states who didn't grow up in Los Angeles in the 70's and 80's probably wont understand just how much of a positive effect things like that have on air quality.

I can remember coming home from "The Valley," (Like, OMG!) and having to wash your car because it was covered in a sooty film that if you left on there too long would eat the paint off of your car... and you were breathing that crap! There are more cars on the road now than there were then, but air quality is light years better than it was then.

But then I wouldn't expect someone who lives in a state of 1/3 the population of CA or less to "get it," nor are these types of emission controls necessary in states like that anyway, but manufacturers have gotten so good at integrating "clean air" stuff that most vehicles just come with it.

So, like, remove it, or don't. whatever
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
Nope.
This,

It adds a couple pounds max, if anything, it ADDS MPG. The fuel evaporates, goes into the canister, which is then vented back into the tank. Without it, fuel evaporates and goes into the air. I doubt it does much, but it's not bothering anything either. I thought about removing it, but after much research, decided it wasn't the hassle. I did need to store my V in a small storage unit this summer, and I noticed there was no fuel smell even though it was very hot and stuffy in there.

BTW, I suspect so many US models are equipped with this, because it doesn't cost Kawasaki much to add it, doesn't affect much, but increases the number of bikes that can potentially be shipped to California.
I can well believe it neither my Versys or KLR have it, I live in Ohio, and they both vent and stick of raw gas at times. I wouldn't take it off and have thought of adding it both (until I found I'd need different gas tanks and bunch of other stuff as well) after all we all need to do our part for a better place.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I can remember coming home from "The Valley," (Like, OMG!) and having to wash your car because it was covered in a sooty film that if you left on there too long would eat the paint off of your car... and you were breathing that crap! There are more cars on the road now than there were then, but air quality is light years better than it was then.
I do not, nor have I ever, nor do I ever plan to live in California, I have seen a couple objective documentaries about the smog problem back in the...50's, was it? I don't know if it was just L.A., or what, but apparently the geography of L.A. lends immensely to it's tendency to create air pollution. Something about the mountains to the east and ocean wind coming from the west making it like an eddy in a bowl. I can see the sense in creating legislation to clean that up, but unless every California town has the same problem, why inflict restrictions on the entire state? Or other states, for that matter. I've been noticing warning labels on cans, notices on tv commercials and disclaimers on websites since I was a kid that would always say something to the effect of "except in California" "not in California" "California not included", which always made California seem very unappealing to me. I've seen a lot of footage of California, and it seems like an incredibly beautiful state, but I feel for the people that have to put up with their legislature there.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 AM

The air in So Cal has cleaned up immensely since the 80's/90s, but i seriously doubt it had anything to do with evaporating gas. More efficient engines and catalytic converters on cars, and emissions controls on industry are far more effective at removing visible pollution than closing up a gas tank vent. As for the California models, not only do we have the fugly evap canister and condenser to deal with, we also get a different tank. There are extra vents and returns for the evap system, and the breather vent and overfill drain lines are in different locations. I'm also fairly certain our gas caps don't have a pressure relief valve, but I don't know if the 49 state models do either. I tried removing my evap system, but the tank would drip fuel from the breather vent when the black tank heated up in the summer sun. I wound up putting it back on to keep from making a mess, but I find it funny that our CA special tree hugger edition tank drips gas, while I don't recall seeing anyone with 49 state model ever complaining about that.

As a side note, while the CA emissions crap they throw on bikes doesn't really have any effect on performance, whatever they do to our cars does. My car has a couple less HP and ft lbs torque compared to a 49 state model, according to the mfr specs.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Here's a thread I posted after removing my evap. canister on the GREEN HORNET:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15897

I seem to remember invader helping w/ the "plumbing" issue, and the GREEN HORNET has never dripped gas.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's a thread I posted after removing my evap. canister on the GREEN HORNET:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15897

I seem to remember invader helping w/ the "plumbing" issue, and the GREEN HORNET has never dripped gas.
That's the thread i followed when I pulled my canister. I think my problem stemmed from the fact that the bike sat directly in the sun most of the day, heating up the gas, then shade as the sun moved, leading to condensation of the evaporating gas. It never leaked in my garage, and never until after lunch out in the open.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
The air in So Cal has cleaned up immensely since the 80's/90s, but i seriously doubt it had anything to do with evaporating gas. More efficient engines and catalytic converters on cars, and emissions controls on industry are far more effective at removing visible pollution than closing up a gas tank vent. As for the California models, not only do we have the fugly evap canister and condenser to deal with, we also get a different tank. There are extra vents and returns for the evap system, and the breather vent and overfill drain lines are in different locations. I'm also fairly certain our gas caps don't have a pressure relief valve, but I don't know if the 49 state models do either. I tried removing my evap system, but the tank would drip fuel from the breather vent when the black tank heated up in the summer sun. I wound up putting it back on to keep from making a mess, but I find it funny that our CA special tree hugger edition tank drips gas, while I don't recall seeing anyone with 49 state model ever complaining about that.

As a side note, while the CA emissions crap they throw on bikes doesn't really have any effect on performance, whatever they do to our cars does. My car has a couple less HP and ft lbs torque compared to a 49 state model, according to the mfr specs.
Yes, a hundredth of a gallon of evaporating gas from one bike isn't going to make a huge difference, but there are 32 million vehicles registered in CA.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
I do not, nor have I ever, nor do I ever plan to live in California, I have seen a couple objective documentaries about the smog problem back in the...50's, was it? I don't know if it was just L.A., or what, but apparently the geography of L.A. lends immensely to it's tendency to create air pollution. Something about the mountains to the east and ocean wind coming from the west making it like an eddy in a bowl. I can see the sense in creating legislation to clean that up, but unless every California town has the same problem, why inflict restrictions on the entire state? Or other states, for that matter. I've been noticing warning labels on cans, notices on tv commercials and disclaimers on websites since I was a kid that would always say something to the effect of "except in California" "not in California" "California not included", which always made California seem very unappealing to me. I've seen a lot of footage of California, and it seems like an incredibly beautiful state, but I feel for the people that have to put up with their legislature there.

The smog problem has never gone away, and yes, geography has a lot to do with it... in fact some of the smog in LA probably comes from China... but it has gotten much better. It is a beautiful state, probably the most beautiful in the nation... which is why so many people "put up with it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode