Replacing lock - Screwdriver damage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replacing lock - Screwdriver damage

Looks like someone tried to screwdriver my V to start. They failed miserably, and I have a REALLY thick disc lock, no chance it was going anywhere. However, they did damage the lock a bit, part of it sticks in the other out a bit, visibly damaged from someone trying to force it. The key still goes in fine, it can take me a few seconds to get it in now. It still turns and starts fine, in fact I didn't notice the damage until I rode in the daytime today. However, I know it happened during the last few nights. I was curious if anyone knows, how much does it cost to replace the lock to fix the damage? Or should I just not worry about it... its not that bad, very small indentations, and everything works fine. Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Before I replaced it, I would spend some quality time with some needle-nose pliers and whatever else looked promising to bend the visible bits back sorta into place. It might be all exterior damage.

If you get it close but it's still a little dicey, you might hit it with some graphite to see if that smooths it out a bit.

Only after that would I consider replacing it.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 PM

Not to offend , but two 2x4's or two pipes and four people means a bike will be gone in 30 seconds. There is no one that will try to take a disc lock off a bike to steal it. If someone goes to the effort to steal a bike it wil be something they can sell. It will not be a Versys.I never take the key out of my bikes ,no matter where I am.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
Not to offend , but two 2x4's or two pipes and four people means a bike will be gone in 30 seconds. There is no one that will try to take a disc lock off a bike to steal it. If someone goes to the effort to steal a bike it wil be something they can sell. It will not be a Versys.I never take the key out of my bikes ,no matter where I am.

Not trying to argue, especially with a man who likes beer, but don't fool yourself into thinking your Versys is safe from thieves. There are those who will steal anything just because...

And I agree with Dragonbreath, I would try to straighten it a little & be done with it, at least until it was so bad it became a problem...

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Will not argue your point, but someone who steals "just because" is not going to take the time to break a lock.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Someone who wants your bike or anything else for that matter can and will get them no matter what you do. Before disc locks, we had steering locks, bikes got stolen. Locks stop a honest person ,nothing stops a true thief. I can get in any house with a old bumper jack, with no damage to the door.A pair of wire cutters will take care of an alarm long enough to take anything of value. This is a fact of life I deal with everyday. Most thieves just break a door or window and before police can get there they are gone with what they want.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM

gorilla required...lol

I have a gorilla alarm on my versys. It has a screamer siren which is good but I especially like the remote pager that I leave on my nightstand... (yes, how can you tell I've had a bike stolen before). It even beeps when there's a false alarm so I know anything that happens in my garage.......... lock alone is probably 75-100$, entire lockset(so all keys match) is probably double that....about the same price as a gorilla alarm btw!!!!!

Last edited by scooter650; 07-09-2009 at 11:28 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
Someone who wants your bike or anything else for that matter can and will get them no matter what you do. Before disc locks, we had steering locks, bikes got stolen. Locks stop a honest person ,nothing stops a true thief. I can get in any house with a old bumper jack, with no damage to the door.A pair of wire cutters will take care of an alarm long enough to take anything of value. This is a fact of life I deal with everyday. Most thieves just break a door or window and before police can get there they are gone with what they want.
I seem to have hit a sensitive spot & I apologize. I'm still a little sore from last week. Someone got into my beat up '98 Hyundai Accent & tried to steal my 6 year old Aiwa car stereo. There's nothing fancy about either the car or the radio, which was one of the cheapest available when it was new. And this is the second attempt. At least this time I forgot to lock the car, so they didn't break the window.

They couldn't figure out how to get the bezel off the dash to get to the radio, so they just took the faceplate from the stereo. If they had been able to get to it, they would've had to unbolt the radio. I bolted it in instead of using the 'slide it in & click it to lock' method like a lot of stereo's use. Of course, without the faceplate, the radio is useless.

I now have a new stereo & I bring the faceplate with me when I leave the car, which I really don't like doing, because I know I'm going to forget it somewhere. I think it was probably kids trying to build a little street cred, but didn't have enough experience to finish the job. Give 'em a little time, though...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. I tried the pliers, but couldn't get much done really. It is not very visible, just looks like warping a bit. I decided to leave it be, as the lock is really undamaged in function, only cosmetically. And yes I know bikes are easily stolen by 4 guys. So are a lot of things. I simply can't plan for my bike to be locked to the ground or in a cage. That is why I have theft insurance!!! Although, I do live in a very very safe city/neighborhood. I visited a friend last week in a... higher crime area and left the bike out over night. I believe that is when it happened. Oh well, still works fine. If I have any problems I'll try some graphite, but I doubt that will be necessary.

Thanks!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
Thanks for the comments. I tried the pliers, but couldn't get much done really. It is not very visible, just looks like warping a bit. I decided to leave it be, as the lock is really undamaged in function, only cosmetically. And yes I know bikes are easily stolen by 4 guys. So are a lot of things. I simply can't plan for my bike to be locked to the ground or in a cage. That is why I have theft insurance!!! Although, I do live in a very very safe city/neighborhood. I visited a friend last week in a... higher crime area and left the bike out over night. I believe that is when it happened. Oh well, still works fine. If I have any problems I'll try some graphite, but I doubt that will be necessary.
Thanks!
You'll want to make sure the little cover that protects the keyhole is working, or grit will eventually play havoc with it. Probably need to be extra vigilant keeping it clean and lubed from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I seem to have hit a sensitive spot & I apologize. I'm still a little sore from last week. Someone got into my beat up '98 Hyundai Accent & tried to steal my 6 year old Aiwa car stereo. There's nothing fancy about either the car or the radio, which was one of the cheapest available when it was new. And this is the second attempt. At least this time I forgot to lock the car, so they didn't break the window.
They couldn't figure out how to get the bezel off the dash to get to the radio, so they just took the faceplate from the stereo. If they had been able to get to it, they would've had to unbolt the radio. I bolted it in instead of using the 'slide it in & click it to lock' method like a lot of stereo's use. Of course, without the faceplate, the radio is useless.
I now have a new stereo & I bring the faceplate with me when I leave the car, which I really don't like doing, because I know I'm going to forget it somewhere. I think it was probably kids trying to build a little street cred, but didn't have enough experience to finish the job. Give 'em a little time, though...
I can top that. When I was living in California in the 90's someone broke the window out of my 77 Chrysler to steal my 8-track collection and a bowling ball I paid a dollar for at a garage sale. What they took was essentially worthless - some people just seem to steal for the entertainment value committing the act.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM

inside of a 77 chrysler???....man thats hard to find. i could see.....

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Bikes that are stolen by 4 guys and a van are most likely to be Harleys and/or high end sportbikes. They do it to chop them and sell the parts. I doubt they'd be interested in a Versys.

An effective theft prevention idea is to make one's bike difficult enough to steal that crooks go and find an easier one.

Look around at garage sales for a used baby monitor. Put the transmitter in the garage and the receiver on the bedside table. You'll hear if someone breaks into the garage, and have an opportunity to do something about it.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM

ttpete, that's a great idea and a cheap one too. Now which do I use.....the 40cal, the 38 special, or maybe the 12 guage so it makes a bigger mess? So many decisions.

I just turn the handlebars and lock the steering and pull the key. If someone wants it that bad let them have it. That's what I pay insurance for.

Jeff

2009 Lime Green Versys (the fast one)

We're losing our country, does anyone care?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecking View Post
ttpete, that's a great idea and a cheap one too. Now which do I use.....the 40cal, the 38 special, or maybe the 12 guage so it makes a bigger mess? So many decisions.

I just turn the handlebars and lock the steering and pull the key. If someone wants it that bad let them have it. That's what I pay insurance for.
My garage has no pedestrian door, and the windows are frosted glass. The overhead door is steel, and I have two heavy steel sliding bolts that engage steel plates in the door jambs. They are locked with heavy duty padlocks. My state passed a bunch of stand your ground self-defense laws that make it easier for law-abiding citizens to deal with scumbag criminals. As a result, I've decided to never be a victim again. I have no interest in paying good money out for insurance just so I can allow thieves to take what's rightfully mine.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode