First Bike Accident - Rear Ended - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Bike Accident - Rear Ended

I had been reading about a few incidents of riders getting rear ended here on the forum lately. Then, this past Saturday it happened to me! I was at a stop sign, clutch and brake pulled in. Looked right, watched a biker roll by, looked left, watched two cars drive by, looked back to the right...all clear, turn my head back to the left (in the direction I was wanting to go), all clear, and before I could let the levers out....BANG!!

Because I still had the front brake on my rear tire rolled up on the car's front bumper and grill, then back down. It took me several seconds to realize what had happened, then I noticed parts flying past my right foot peg. I glanced down under my left arm and noticed the car. Then the pain set in! The impact pushed me hard into the tank. I now know why the magnetic tail of my Rapid-Transit tank bag is padded!!

The state trooper came and the EMS took me away to the ER. My bike was towed, which I went by yesterday to examine. The tail and both turn signals will have to be replaced. Concerned about the wheel and maybe the swingarm. It will go to my local dealer soon as the insurance company gets it there.

I know it could have been much worse. I was thinking about the outcome if I didn't have the front brake on. I was also wondering if anyone makes underwear with front protection !!??

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM
rlj

That sucks! I try and watch the review mirrors as much as possible however it's impossible to monitor all directions of trouble all the time. It sound like you were not hurt too bad, which is the main thing....I hope the person that hit you wasn't texting.

Where were you? I ride a lot up in the western Carolina mountains.

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Sorry to hear that. Glad you're ok for the most part and it wasn't worse!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Wow thats scary getting hit from behind. Glad you came out in pretty good shape.. When i got hit but a car. The insurance paid me $800.00 for the swing arm and it only had a scratch on it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MntVersys View Post
I was also wondering if anyone makes underwear with front protection !!??

http://www.fullcontactsports.ca/ches...1_203_205.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM

Hope u r ok and things works out ok with the bike.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM

Last time I researched it, rear end accidents were the second most common car vs motorcycle accidents. No doubt distracted driving plays the biggest part in these types of accidents followed closely by......Well, following closely.
Hope everything works out, hope the other driver pays out the ass and realizes he needs to pull his head.....Well, out of his ass.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Don't sign anything with the insurance company of the car that hit you. Even if you don't hire a lawyer you should settle the bike and the injury separately. Hold off on settling the injury for as long as you can.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Don't sign anything with the insurance company of the car that hit you. Even if you don't hire a lawyer you should settle the bike and the injury separately. Hold off on settling the injury for as long as you can.
+1

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Sorry it happened to you. But glad you seem to be OK. Bikes you buy skin ya grow.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Eesh, sorry to hear, man. Makes me reconsider getting the blinky brake light farkle. The headlight blinky farkle never really appealed to me, but the brake light one seems to make a lot of sense. Glad to hear you're OK.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 AM
MTS

Glad things were not worse!

As you know my neighbor was recently killed hit from behind. Shortly after that Weljo helped me go Hi-Vis. I think it really helps!

In traffic I watch when I stop the car coming up on me. I flick my brakes and try and leave enough room so if he doesn't stop I go to the side of the car in front of me. Not wanting to be a sandwich!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
In traffic I watch when I stop the car coming up on me. I flick my brakes and try and leave enough room so if he doesn't stop I go to the side of the car in front of me. Not wanting to be a sandwich!
To add to this, you are most vulnerable while at a complete stop because it's difficult to get moving if you need to, try to slow down and roll as long as possible before completely stopping.
If I see that I'm going to have to stop ahead I'll start slowing down maybe 2 yards early. This does two things, it means I'm sitting still for less time and it means if there is traffic coming behind me they are forced to slow down early as well so they aren't going as fast if they do decide to hit me.
Of course in the OPs accident there's not much you can do while sitting still at a stop sign, very vulnerable place to be.

I actually had a situation a few weeks ago where I had to ride up beside the car in front of me to keep from being sandwiched.
Two lane country road, the car two vehicles in front of me decided to make a quick left into a driveway, everyone behind him slammed on their brakes and stopped, I looked back in my mirror to see the driver behind me looking around enjoying the scenery and not stopping so I steered for the soft shoulder, there was just enough asphalt for me to fit right beside the car in front of me. The car behind me (brakes locked, smoking and squeeling) got stop about a foot before slamming into the car that was infront of me. I wouldv'e been a Versys sandwich if not watching my mirror and maintaining a way out. I've heard people (on a different forum) say you can't think and react fast enough to avoid rear end accidents....Well yes you can if you've already planned where you're going. A few years ago I avoided a rear end accident in my car while sitting at a light I floored it and moved to avoid a car coming up from behind with the driver texting and not stopping. Watch your mirrors, it does work

Last edited by ray h; 10-30-2013 at 05:46 AM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 AM

Hope you are riding again real soon. I remember meeting you and your brother in Labrador a couple of years ago.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 AM

Thank you for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
To add to this, you are most vulnerable while at a complete stop because it's difficult to get moving if you need to, try to slow down and roll as long as possible before completely stopping.
If I see that I'm going to have to stop ahead I'll start slowing down maybe 2 yards early. This does two things, it means I'm sitting still for less time and it means if there is traffic coming behind me they are forced to slow down early as well so they aren't going as fast if they do decide to hit me.
Of course in the OPs accident there's not much you can do while sitting still at a stop sign, very vulnerable place to be.

I actually had a situation a few weeks ago where I had to ride up beside the car in front of me to keep from being sandwiched.
Two lane country road, the car two vehicles in front of me decided to make a quick left into a driveway, everyone behind him slammed on their brakes and stopped, I looked back in my mirror to see the driver behind me looking around enjoying the scenery and not stopping so I steered for the soft shoulder, there was just enough asphalt for me to fit right beside the car in front of me. The car behind me (brakes locked, smoking and squeeling) got stop about a foot before slamming into the car that was infront of me. I wouldv'e been a Versys sandwich if not watching my mirror and maintaining a way out. I've heard people (on a different forum) say you can't think and react fast enough to avoid rear end accidents....Well yes you can if you've already planned where you're going. A few years ago I avoided a rear end accident in my car while sitting at a light I floored it and moved to avoid a car coming up from behind with the driver texting and not stopping. Watch your mirrors, it does work
Thanks for posting this! I think you have very smart tactics here and obviously you have used them successfully in the past. I use the many of the same plus I wear hi-viz and have a very annoying flashing Whelen addition to my stock brake light. I've never had a close call yet while sitting at a light or stop sign. (knock on wood). In order to survive, there are a lot of things we can do for ourselves to lower our risk.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 AM

I bought my V used and was very pleased to find that it already had a "Back Off" flashing brakelight system. Whenever I stop I check behind me and make sure I have the brake pulled if a car is approaching from behind. I also try to have an escape route planned. Knock wood.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Sucks- Glad to hear you're ok! I too wear high vis and have a back off Xp taillight flasher. When I stop in traffic I tend to check behind me, and if I don't have anyone stopped there i play with my brake to keep it flashing until either I have a car behind me, or have taken off.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 AM

If you were completely stopped for that long I don't think any safety measure would have helped. The driver of the other car was obviously seriously distracted or impaired in some other way. They need to start treating drivers who have severe distraction issues like this, like DUI drivers and get them off the road with a license suspension. It might help curb cell phone use while driving.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM

If a police vehicle is present in the traffic it has a very calming effect on the traffic, people suddenly become aware, stop breaking/bending rules and helps each other in traffic situations. Strange that fear of getting a ticket or loosing the license is stronger than fear of causing a traffic accident with potential deadly outcome. Looking out for bikes, scooters, etc should be addressed a lot more in traffic schools and people texting while driving should be punished the same as drunk driving. Maybe the high visible gear could be made so it is difficult to distinguish from a mc cop, requiring a second look from the nearby drivers to conclude it is not and then they have at least seen the bike?
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjortronet View Post
If a police vehicle is present in the traffic it has a very calming effect on the traffic, people suddenly become aware, stop breaking/bending rules and helps each other in traffic situations. Strange that fear of getting a ticket or loosing the license is stronger than fear of causing a traffic accident with potential deadly outcome. Looking out for bikes, scooters, etc should be addressed a lot more in traffic schools and people texting while driving should be punished the same as drunk driving. Maybe the high visible gear could be made so it is difficult to distinguish from a mc cop, requiring a second look from the nearby drivers to conclude it is not and then they have at least seen the bike?
Not to sure about that. The best you can do and try and keep "Eyes in the back of your head". I never stop directly behind a car but to one side or the other ans end up with the bike pointing to roll beside them. Saved my bacon more than once.

And this happened here today notice it's a Police bike?

http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/...d-crash/nbcfP/

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode