Versys Vs Shiver - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool Versys Vs Shiver

I was taking a look at there bike the shiver and was wondering is it worth the extra couple of grand for the aprilia?
http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Mode.../Overview.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM

I test rode one a while back, and it is a really nice bike. I couldn't justify the extra $$, but it is a damn sexy bike. Handles really well too.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 PM

I seriously considered an Aprillia Shiver. Money was not in the consideration. I spent a lot of time at the Aprillia tent at the AMA race at Barber this year. No Kawasaki representation at Barber :-( I looked for three days at spectator bikes before finally finding a Versys. He had only had 16 miles on it. I had an Aprillia dealer about 50 miles from home but wouldn't but anything from him (bad experience with an Mp3, GOOD SCOOTER, BAD DEALER). Anyhow he no longer has anything in the Piaggio group. That made the two closest Aprillia dealers more than 300 miles away. Even though the Aprillia is probably a more technically advanced bike than the Versys (must use premium gas though), it came down to my Kawasaki dealer is only 35 miles away and another only 50. One or two days back from Barber I bought a Versys and have never regretted it :-) Neatest bike I have ever owned, except for the seat, mirrors & windscreen :-( All is fixed now except the mirrors :-) Mirrors are last because: Things become very tiny in the mirrors, very quickly :-)

Off to Mid Ohio on the Versys in a couple of weeks :-) :-) :-)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Track day at Mid-Ohio?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:49 PM

Personally, while I like the Shiver, i would take a Street Tripple over it in a heart beat. Especially now that they have an R edition.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM

The Shiver was pretty high on my list, but I passed.

1.) WAY to expensive for what you get
2.) It's very heavy
3.) A local rider had one for a few months and it was constantly breaking (odd electrical problems that would make it die). He ended up getting the dealer to take it back and trade it for a Tuono.

I'll stick with the tried-and-true platforms, especially when my money is buying it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM

I look at all kind of bikes before I bought my Versys, including Shiver and Triple.

They are both sexy and all, but can't justify for the more $$$.

I went to Shiver forums and found out it has all kind of problems...

Most important thing of my decision is that both of them don't have front windscreen which I wanted for long distance ride... Versys also get much better MPG than both...

Got my Versys for exactly one week... 250 miles already... No regret... Love this bike!!!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Oh ya by no means am I ditching the bike I am just wondering about the shiver.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Too many of the Euro bikes have imobilizer systems. Loose both your keys and it's ECU is bricked ( factory can't even help you). Extra keys are expensive and hard to get. There were quite a few problems in Mp3's with the receiving antenna for the transponder key. The imobilizer does keep them from stealing the bike. A guy on the Modern Vespa Mp3 group had his stolen. The police recovered it a couple of weeks later and the crooks had torn it all apart trying to get it to run. Luckily his insurance company totaled the bike and he bought another. Probably still cost him money though.

I'll keep the good old simple Kawasaki technology :-)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM

The Shiver does have the advantage of being fully fly-by-wire and probably closed-loop fuel injection as well.

I don't know about you guys but my V is a little sputtery when starting from a stop and abrupt when transitioning from engine braking to acceleration.
Every time it gives a little jerk I wonder if maybe I should have bought a more sophisticated bike.
At 6,000 rpm it's a different story, of course.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 PM

The Versys is a closed loop EFI system also. That is why it has an Oxygen sensor. The Shiver has a fly by wire throttle that can vary the rate of throttle opening to make it mild or sporty or cautious for wet surfaces. Used right it will try to keep you from doing something stupid :-(

How many miles do you have on your Versys? Have you recently disconnected the battery? What RPM does it idle at? The reason I ask is that when I got my Versys new, it had never been serviced. The dealer serviced it and drove it 5 miles. At the first two STOP signs the engine died when I closed the throttle and pulled in the clutch. I drove it around about 50 miles before I got home. It has never missed lick since then. I believe the EFI is probably just like a car, in that the fuel map is remapped by repeated correction from the Oxygen sensor and it takes driving it around for a while for it to happen. Anytime you disconnect the battery the ECU defaults to the default fuel map until it has enough data for remapping.

If you can, check the hose from the MAP sensor (it is under the plastic on the left side of the fuel tank.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM

The V has an O2 sensor? News to me.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I disconnected my battery and I still have it "choke or hiccup" sometimes at 2-4,000 if i am cruising or letting off the throttle but it has never died.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
The Shiver does have the advantage of being fully fly-by-wire and probably closed-loop fuel injection as well.

I don't know about you guys but my V is a little sputtery when starting from a stop and abrupt when transitioning from engine braking to acceleration.
Every time it gives a little jerk I wonder if maybe I should have bought a more sophisticated bike.

Check your idle. Many of us had our idle set too low from the dealer. Also check your clutch & throttle cable adjustments. My throttle cable had so much slack, I could turn it, count to 3, then the bike would react (exaggerated for making a point ). Seriously though, the adjuster was almost all they way to one end causing a lot of free play.

I personally don't think fly-by-wire is an advantage. Just another computer interfering with what should be my control, just like my wife...

No wait, a little too close to home there...

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
The V has an O2 sensor? News to me.
I might have to back up on the closed loop and oxygen sensor. I can't find an oxygen sensor anyplace I think it should be. I don't know what lead me to believe it had an oxygen sensor, but when I saw the 10A fuse labeled O2 (O subscript 2) under the saddle, I though to myself: "why would they use a heated oxygen sensor on a bike?" Wonder what that fuse goes to? Something to ponder.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Check your idle. Many of us had our idle set too low from the dealer. Also check your clutch & throttle cable adjustments. My throttle cable had so much slack, I could turn it, count to 3, then the bike would react (exaggerated for making a point ). Seriously though, the adjuster was almost all they way to one end causing a lot of free play.
My throttle is adjusted to be fairly tight. There is still a little bit of play at the throttle, I think just due to tolerances in the throttle tube. The Clutch could probably use a little more adjustment, but I don't think that would cause rough-running or jerky transitions off and on the throttle.

I did disconnect the battery to add in the fuse box.
I'll crank that down again before I take off for work.
Quote:
I personally don't think fly-by-wire is an advantage. Just another computer interfering with what should be my control, just like my wife...

No wait, a little too close to home there...
Luddite!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:18 PM

Its for the bikes in Europe. The US and Asian versions don't have it.

Maloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in FL View Post
I might have to back up on the closed loop and oxygen sensor. I can't find an oxygen sensor anyplace I think it should be. I don't know what lead me to believe it had an oxygen sensor, but when I saw the 10A fuse labeled O2 (O subscript 2) under the saddle, I though to myself: "why would they use a heated oxygen sensor on a bike?" Wonder what that fuse goes to? Something to ponder.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Looks like the body styling is really the only thing that makes it seem to be a different bike.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:23 PM

I'm a VERY happy Versys rider who spent over 25 years buying and riding Beemers. I did like them a lot but European machines are a different animal. Not a lot of dealers, a lot of service and maintenance. You'll spend a lot of $$ each year just keeping up on normal maintenance.
Out here in the west it's easy to be hundred's of miles from the nearest BMW dealer if you have a problem. Kawasaki dealers are in almost any mid-sized town around the country. I put a bit of chain oil on my V and do the oil and filter now and then and that's about it. Quite a change from what I was used to.
I've owned over 20 bikes and have ridden almost 40 years. The Versys is the most fun bike I've ever had. It's fast, light and handles like a dream. It's a bargain too!
There might be another Euro bike in my future but this great Versys could very well be my last bike, it's that good.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post

FWIW, mine does the same thing and the idle is fine.

Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode