Went down for the first time today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Went down for the first time today

I was making a left turn at slowish speed and the wheels slid out. There was probably a lot of oil on the road since trucks stop to make the same left turn.

It was very surreal. First I felt the wheels slide, then I heard the peg scrape, and finally I was sliding a few feet before stopping. It probably looked like a dirt bike fall, if you were behind me.

Anyway I'm OK and all the gear worked well. The Jacket/Pants and Boots are all scraped up. The Olympia Bushwacker Jacket and First Gear Pants were padded in just the right spot. Amazing how they figured that out The steel tipped Timberland Pro work boots held up well and protected my toe and ankle. I think If I had on sneakers I might have broken something.

The HB bars took most of the impact. The Left mirror is shattered. The left bar rubber end is scraped up also. There is a little mark on the fork holder.

The HB bars are bent a little but it is not noticeable. I'll need to pull them off and bend them back, then sand and paint.

Remember.... All The Gear, All the Time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bars.jpg (51.4 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg mirror.jpg (44.4 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg fork.jpg (48.6 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by NYGreenV; 07-09-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Glad to hear you are all right and the bike wasn't badly damaged. Nice having good gear on, isn't it? Ride safe all...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Glad to hear this

Thank God your gear help you avoid injury.
We can repair / replace the bikes & GEAR but not the lives.
ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME!!
Ride Safe everybody!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Glade to see your alright and that those aftermarket crash bars held up.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Glad you are OK and for the most part the H&B bars did their job.

I had a similar low speed crash and it pushed my H&B bars over so that I couldn't get a full lock turn to the side I fell on.

Being nearly 1000miles from home with very limited tools, I put some padding on the ground and lowered the V down on the 'good' side. Pushed gently down. This straightened up the bars perfectly without having to remove them.

I painted them in place and you can hardly tell.

As a suggestion try and sand and paint before you get any rust-makes life a lot easier.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Is that a goldwing I see in the background?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Yes it is, well spotted. But its not mine, I was doing the repair in my riding buddies garage in Hillisboro OR, before riding back to my home in Redmond. It was going to be a very wet ride, so wanted to get it sanded and at least one coat of paint on before slogging up the I5 to home.

He's a big guy 6'6" and don't think he'd fit on a Versys!

Machog

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Glad you are OK! I am a firm believer in all the gear all the time!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. In the fall I'll take off both bars, sand and repaint them. For now I'll just do a quick and dirty cover up.

Last edited by NYGreenV; 07-09-2009 at 05:17 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM

I am glad to hear you weren't hurt! Stick with that gear! It is worth it!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Hmmm, I don't mean to make this sound abrasive, but my dad has laid his down 4 times in less than 50 miles, and has done less damage.

He has those Barkbuster hand guards and 3 bags (monokey?) and when he lays it down, he gets messed up (not wearing his gear yet) but the bike only gets scratches on the bags and those hand covers.

I personally don't like all those bags, but he says until he can figure out how to ride this bike without laying it down, he is keeping them on because they are protecting the bike.

They are now scratched to hell, especially on the left side (he is too short to touch the ground), but hopefully after today, he will be able to touch. I installed a Speedy's lowering block and a Hyperpro lowering spring, then dropped the front shocks for about a 3" drop, so he can touch now...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4397

Sorry to get off topic.

Glad your gear held up and did it's job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bags.jpg (104.1 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by scooper77515; 07-09-2009 at 07:13 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Glad to hear you are all right.

I, on the other hand, and my bike are not.

2009 Versys purchased 30 Jun 2009. 03 July 2009 guy pulled out from behind a SUV both parked on the wrong side of a gravel road. I had enough time to think "OH" but not enough time to think "Oh Crap!" before hitting the ground. I was going ~ 15 mph and was looking in the direction I was going. I was ~ 15 feet from him when he pulled out. Bike ended up under the car. I ended up middle of the road.

All my safety gear was on order and being shipped. Most of it arrived 3-4 days after the accident. I was wearing a full face helmet, leather riding gloves and over the ankle boots but t-shirt and jeans (I know, dumb). T-shirt was destroyed, the jeans have no damage despite what my leg looks like. The bike has had the left side ground off. One good thing was I was wearing an on-call pager on my left hip. It was destroyed but I took no damage to the hip, not even a bruise. For some reason I didn't get called in all holiday weekend.

Four Sheriff officers in 4 Sheriff cars plus the ambulance showed up after calling it in. Each one asked me if I was wearing a helmet. I found out later that if I hadn't, I would not been able to refuse the ambulance ride to the emergency room.

Now I got to work (fight?) with the insurance company of the other driver to get my 3 day old bike back to the condition it was prior to the accident.

I have been riding off and on for ~ 40 years (drag raced motorcycles in the 70's), just when through a Motorcycle Safety course to insure I could still handle a bike (have had 5 surgeries on both shoulders in the last 2 years... unrelated to motorcycles) and finished the safety course the Sunday before the accident. Makes you think someone doesn't want me riding...

Thanks for letting me vent.

Paul
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM

Good that you are not hurt.

That's what matter the most, the rest are replaceable.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 PM

by LAVersys. As long you're not hurt, nothing else really matters. You can ride on another day....

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper77515 View Post
Hmmm, I don't mean to make this sound abrasive, but my dad has laid his down 4 times in less than 50 miles, and has done less damage.

He has those Barkbuster hand guards and 3 bags (monokey?) and when he lays it down, he gets messed up (not wearing his gear yet) but the bike only gets scratches on the bags and those hand covers.

I personally don't like all those bags, but he says until he can figure out how to ride this bike without laying it down, he is keeping them on because they are protecting the bike.

They are now scratched to hell, especially on the left side (he is too short to touch the ground), but hopefully after today, he will be able to touch. I installed a Speedy's lowering block and a Hyperpro lowering spring, then dropped the front shocks for about a 3" drop, so he can touch now...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4397

Sorry to get off topic.

Glad your gear held up and did it's job
Same happened to me last year - the givi panniers protected everything - all I had to replace was one of the coloured inserts plus the clutch lever. I could have put up with the minor scratch on the left tank side panel but replaced that too. I was wearing cheap Akito gear and expensive but very lightweight TCX boots and a Caberg helmet (also cheap). All the gear did its stuff, and I can honestly say nothing hurt at all - and I landed on my knee and shoulder - 'cos the textile is scuffed. By the way I'm convinced I went down because the stock tyres are not sticky enough when the air temp is cool (4 to 5 deg C) and the tyres themselves are not warmed up (within half a mile of setting off).
Mike
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I just noticed the swingarm spool is scratched up from the drop.

I may need to replace with a spool slider.

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHerder View Post
Glad to hear you are all right.

I, on the other hand, and my bike are not.

2009 Versys purchased 30 Jun 2009. 03 July 2009 guy pulled out from behind a SUV both parked on the wrong side of a gravel road. I had enough time to think "OH" but not enough time to think "Oh Crap!" before hitting the ground. I was going ~ 15 mph and was looking in the direction I was going. I was ~ 15 feet from him when he pulled out. Bike ended up under the car. I ended up middle of the road.

All my safety gear was on order and being shipped. Most of it arrived 3-4 days after the accident. I was wearing a full face helmet, leather riding gloves and over the ankle boots but t-shirt and jeans (I know, dumb). T-shirt was destroyed, the jeans have no damage despite what my leg looks like. The bike has had the left side ground off. One good thing was I was wearing an on-call pager on my left hip. It was destroyed but I took no damage to the hip, not even a bruise. For some reason I didn't get called in all holiday weekend.

Four Sheriff officers in 4 Sheriff cars plus the ambulance showed up after calling it in. Each one asked me if I was wearing a helmet. I found out later that if I hadn't, I would not been able to refuse the ambulance ride to the emergency room.

Now I got to work (fight?) with the insurance company of the other driver to get my 3 day old bike back to the condition it was prior to the accident.

I have been riding off and on for ~ 40 years (drag raced motorcycles in the 70's), just when through a Motorcycle Safety course to insure I could still handle a bike (have had 5 surgeries on both shoulders in the last 2 years... unrelated to motorcycles) and finished the safety course the Sunday before the accident. Makes you think someone doesn't want me riding...

Thanks for letting me vent.

Paul
Don't let his insurance company screw you around. You're entitled to have it repaired by the shop of YOUR choice, not theirs. Don't sign any releases until you're satisfied, both with the money for repairs and for any medical attention you may eventually need due to the crash.

BTW, I don't think anyone can force a person to take an ambulance ride against their will unless they are visibly seriously injured, helmet or no helmet. I'd certainly press the issue to the point they were forced to handcuff me to the stretcher. Over the years, I've landed on my butt several times, and always managed to ride home hurt or not. It's a lot cheaper than an ambulance ride and towing and storage fees. Tow lot operators are a bunch of greedy jackals.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Don't let his insurance company screw you around. You're entitled to have it repaired by the shop of YOUR choice, not theirs. Don't sign any releases until you're satisfied, both with the money for repairs and for any medical attention you may eventually need due to the crash.

BTW, I don't think anyone can force a person to take an ambulance ride against their will unless they are visibly seriously injured, helmet or no helmet. I'd certainly press the issue to the point they were forced to handcuff me to the stretcher. Over the years, I've landed on my butt several times, and always managed to ride home hurt or not. It's a lot cheaper than an ambulance ride and towing and storage fees. Tow lot operators are a bunch of greedy jackals.
I have made an appointment with an lawyer since I don't have motorcycle medical (USAF Retired) and it looks like a mess getting the other insurance to pay for my medical expenses (i.e. bandages my Nurse Practitioner wife has been applying to my wounds not to mention the Chiropractic treatments and the doctor appointment to check out my shoulder and hands). Since the lawyer only gets paid if they win, I am hoping for a little pain and suffering $$$ to go with fixing or replacing the bike and equipment (helmet) damaged during the accident.

Tomorrow I get the bike up to the dealership I purchased it at for them to go through it and get an estimate. Since it was only 3 days old, I want and expect a bike that looks and works like a 3 day old bike that had zero damage before accident.

Anyone know how much (percentage) of damage before the bike is totaled?

Paul
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:27 PM

It's based on the current blue book value of the vehicle, and what the insurance company expects to recover from scrap value. They won't cover it at the sticker price.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode