I'm worried - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm worried

I've owned 9 motorcycles over the years since 1970. Everyone of them had some minor easily corrected design/manufacturing flaw. I've been thinking hard about selling my 07 Yamaha Roadstar,( It's my 3rd R*), and buying a Versys. I'm 67 and the long multi day road trips aren't as appealing as they once were. The 2006 650 KLR was fun but too buzzy, too tall, dohickey replacement etc.. I had hoped the Versys corrected that, but I read of buzzing in the "plastics" Same as on the KLR's cheap Kawi attachment system, frame welds cracking, uncomfortable seat. Anyhow as I said earlier, nothing mechanical is perfect. I love the magazine write ups, the whole concept of the Versys, much like the Wee Strom so now I'm like a teenager finding out his girl friend has a STD. I want a Versys but I'm worried about Kawi's quality control. Thier engines are awesome but thier body work seems sub par. Any long term, 2yrs hi milers out their with any encouraging news. HELP me please.
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Nick,

I have about 17500 miles on my 2008 Versys. I sold my 2007 KLR650 to buy this bike, and I've been very happy with that decision. Don't get me wrong. I miss my KLR like crazy, but not for the reasons you mentioned. I enjoyed offroad riding quite a bit, but don't have the time, etc. for it right now.

The Versys is certainly not perfect, but it's a much more refined bike than the KLR. I think the build quality exceeds what one can possibly expect from a $6000 motorcycle.

Taking your concerns in order:

1. Buzzing - I would say most folks have a little buzzing, but nothing that can't be corrected with a little foam tape or weather stripping.

2. Too Tall - I don't know the exact numbers, but I would say the Versys and KLR are about the same height for a rider. There are good options to lower it by about 2" if you want.

3. Doohickey - No known mechanical issues that would compare to the requisite Doohickey replacement on the KLR (Believe it or not, I changed mine twice on my KLR - once with a regular spring and again to install the new torsion spring from EagleMike).

4. Overall vibrations - No comparison. The Versys is much, much smoother than the KLR. I thought I would get carpal tunnel syndrome within 30 minutes on my KLR until I did some of the vibration reducing mods. I have had no need on the Versys. I did install ProGrip 714 grips, but mainly because I like them. Folks complain a bit about seeing things vibrate in their mirrors, but they have evidently never ridden a KLR. I don't have much issues at all.

5. Frame welds cracking - I think this is isolated. There is one spot that could use an extra washer as a spacer to close up a gap. I haven't even gotten around to doing that.

6. Uncomforable seat - It's no Corbin, but it's really not that bad. I think with a few cheap mods (washer under the front clip), it is perfectly serviceable. I upgraded to a Corbin, but mainly because I do a lot of 300-600 mile day trips.

Overall it's a great bike. If I could have 2 bikes, it would be my Versys and my old KLR.

Good luck in your decision.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 AM

Nick, I live here in Canon and ride mine all over. If you would like come and see for yourself.

Come and talk to me about mine and spend some time around it.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 AM

+1 on DB's comments, right on the money. I too had a KLR and it seemed a bit taller than the Versys. Frame issue and buzzyness are not an issue for most. Many including me, have suffered from neither.

Its the best bike I've ever had. It does everything better than a KLR except heavy off-road stuff. I've taken in numerous logging/forest roads with no issue. But it won't do single track.

On the other hand, it does stop well, cruise at freeway+ speeds in comfort, carry two up, accelerate like a KLR never could and scream through the twisties all at around 50mpg.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM

I'm in Colorado Springs and own an '08 Versys and a '04 Wee-Strom. I put 3-4,000 miles per year on each bike and ride 35% offroad. Both bikes are great for my purposes and I would stack the Kawasaki quality right there with the Suzuki in all respects.

The only plactic buzz I've had is the front fairing vibration which is an easy, cheap, one-time fix. I haven't heard of or experienced any issues with frame or welding contruction. The seat isn't great, but it works for me and that's a personal issue.

The Wee is better for two-up riding and slightly better offroad. For single rider, asphalt riding the Versys is my choice. I'm 53 and do not scrape the pegs, but I found the fun, flexibility (should I say versatility) and manueverability of the Versys a real thrill.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 PM

I've had my Versys for 1.5 years and have no buzzing issue. The bike has been trouble-free for me.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

DB, thanks for your quick concise reply, I appreciate your experience, it helps alot. Thanks again.

Nick
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

KM I'd like to talk with you, I'm retired and available most anytime. Let me know when it is convenient for you. Thank you very much for your help.

Nick
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Love mine I did have rattles buy took care of them with foam. I mean I go into corners good if not better than sport bikes. I beat the balls of my versys and it just keeps saying more more more. I love this bike

Last edited by speedversys; 07-08-2009 at 12:51 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Gatorman,

I lived in the Springs from 65 to 90 then moved to Florence. The KLR was a blast up Rampart, and Gold camp to Cripple Creek and dirt here around Canon but I missed my Cruiser and now I'm back to something smaller and more versatile.Thanks for your positive comments.

Nick
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

You guys are great quick replys and the information I needed. You have helped me to put aside my concerns.

Nick
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 PM

sent pm
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Vibration? What vibration? I moved to the V from a Harley Sportster, so to me this thing is smooth as glass
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm 46 and primarily a cruiser rider for the past 15 years (my last bike was a Harley Ultra Classic) and decided when I sold the Ultra a month ago that I wanted a sport bike so I could have some fun riding the twisties. I am going to buy a new Road Glide when the 2010 model comes out but talked my wife into getting this Versys to ride until they come in. I LOVE this bike. I didn't like the typical sport bike because of the seating position and at first look didn't like the V but when I took one for a test ride I was sold. I also watched a video on You Tube showing a guy ride this with some other sport bikes and they couldn't lose him. It was amazing how this thing takes the corners. That also sold me. I'm too old to take it to the track but it is fun to lean into the curves with a big old smile on my face. I plan on keeping this bike now and having both to ride. My wife shocked me the other day after we went for a ride when she said she might want to learn to ride and this could be what she would ride. She saw how easy it is to ride and got her to thinking.
I'm 6'2" and 260 and am comfortable on the bike but I will do something about the seat because I have a wide butt. This is no big deal because every bike I have owned I've had to do that. I say ride one and then decide.

Jeff

2009 Lime Green Versys (the fast one)

We're losing our country, does anyone care?

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Well guys thanks to your postitive comments I took the plunge and bought a Blue Versys this afternoon. I rode my faithful, beautiful Midnight to the dealers and kissed her goodbye. I rode the Versys home and honestly I was so unfamiliar with the shifter & rear brake placement and trying to keep her under 4000RPM I never really experienced the ride. Also it was friggin 97 degrees out and hwy 50 was HOT! I'm waiting till it cools down a bit tonight and I'll take a ride to Wetmore and back, Ken, you know where that is I'm sure. Tomorrow I think I'll go to Wescliffe and back through Texas Creek. Gotta get those 600 miles on it soon.
Thanks again guys I'll stay in touch.
Nick
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM

You'll like it. I have 16 months and 16,000+ miles on mine. A little time with some foam and elephant snot banished the cowl buzz. I have had zero issues with this bike.
It is the ride of choice over my 79 KZ and 97 Connie. This may change once the temps hit the 40's this fall. The Connie throws heat like a blast furnace.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Hi Nick welcome to Versysdoom. Check the thread Colorado Front Range roll call. Bunch of us from all over CO there. I'm trying to get something going but we are a little spread out.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Colorado members ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Hi Nick welcome to Versysdoom. Check the thread Colorado Front Range roll call. Bunch of us from all over CO there. I'm trying to get something going but we are a little spread out.
I hooked up with KMAHORNEY this morning he, I and a buddy with an FJR did the Canon, Texas Creek, Westcliffe, Wetmore run, almost exactly 100 miles. I now have 137 miles on the bike and it's starting to loosen up and responds sooo sweetly. After the big Roadstar it took some getting used to but half way up the Arkansas river road to Texas creek I had a hard time keeping the revs in the 4k range Coming down from Westcliffe I ran it up to 5k and let her decell back to 3k a few times. I really like how this bike goes about running. I was concerned about trading the R* off but I'm feeling good about it today.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 PM

Very nice riding with you guys this morning, Thanks.

Coming down off of hardscraable i saw 103 following the FJR, i did not realize the V's were so nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode